Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Yes it is, do you know of another cable provider that can provide you service at your location. On a CABLE line you can only get the provider that owns the cable. CenturyLink runs their own twisted pair wire (not cable) to your house. You do know that both Cox and CenturyLink have their own separate cables running to your house. You can't get CenturyLink on a Cox cable or vice versus, it's location based upon who runs a cable to you which dictates your options.

And just like electric you can get service from whoever ran the power line to your house or you can go solar which is another service option using a different delivery method.
Sorry, I misunderstood you somewhat, but it's still true that most if not all areas of the Valley have both Century Link and Cox available. You made it sound like you didn't have a choice between one or the other for service (putting aside the technicalities of how the internet or television service is provided). Yes, the mechanism of the internet service, and the television service, differs between the two, but all over the valley, you can choose one company or the other to package your services with. Right now, the OP just wants to know what her options are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM

397 posts, read 659,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Sorry, I misunderstood you somewhat, but it's still true that most if not all areas of the Valley have both Century Link and Cox available. You made it sound like you didn't have a choice between one or the other for service (putting aside the technicalities of how the internet or television service is provided). Yes, the mechanism of the internet service, and the television service, differs between the two, but all over the valley, you can choose one company or the other to package your services with. Right now, the OP just wants to know what her options are.
Agree and to clarify I was specifically talking about cable options (not internet), I honestly didn't know CenturyLink had their own TV service now, thought they were still just reselling DirectTV

Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Agree and to clarify I was specifically talking about cable options (not internet), I honestly didn't know CenturyLink had their own TV service now, thought they were still just reselling DirectTV

They've just started Prism, a wireless system. I've seen ads and radio and TV (mostly radio) spots. It's a slow rollout as they build the infrastructure, not all areas of the Valley have it yet, by any means. When I asked several months ago when my area might have it, I was told at least a year, and that I would know when it was coming when I saw a lot of work trucks in the area.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doradora View Post
We are moving to Phoenix in 3 weeks, and are looking into our cable/internet options. We currently have and despite Comcast. We had Cox for a while in Southern California, and thought we'd go back to them, but their promotional bundles are all 2-year contracts, and we will move after one year. They have told me that they WILL charge a early termination fee, even if we move out of their service area.

So... it either leaves us with spending a bit of money on Cox since we can't take advantage of their specials, or looking for other options. Are there other options in Phoenix? How do they stack up, both in service and price?

Thanks in advance!!
For internet Cox wins hands down for their amazing internet. However Satellite is the way to go for TV. I would like toward Dish or DirecTV and go with whoever has the best deal at your time of purchase. Also tell them you want a nonpen mount so they don't screw to your roof if that's a concern . I don't want to approach slander but Centurylink delivered very poor service to me and I cannot recommend them. I'm an El Cajon native (SD county FTW!!!!!!!!) and will tell you they are no where near an good or reliable as ATT Uverse.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:54 PM

I find Cox TV to be great, I have a 6 tuner box that is awesome. Plus when you bundle services with Cox you get a better deal. Also I think both DirectTV and Dish require 2 year contracts.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I find Cox TV to be great, I have a 6 tuner box that is awesome. Plus when you bundle services with Cox you get a better deal. Also I think both DirectTV and Dish require 2 year contracts.
I don't mind Cox TV. Actually I have it for bundle sake and because I utilize internet more anyway. However I can't deny that satellite is the way to go for tv if you want the best. Honestly I doubt I'd even have cable if it weren't for the Chargers football season and the fact I'd feel stupid having a 65" smart LED tv and no cable :P .

Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Ok time for me to learn something. What exactly is a 6 tuner box. I have an HD/DVR box. This one to be exact. What is the difference?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Another option for internet is just to use a smartphone and a data plan. And tether it, if allowed in your plan, for use with other devices like laptops/pc's.

For TV, Phoenix metro has many OTA HD signals that can be picked up in most areas with a basic antenna if that's enough tv for you. And maybe netflix, amazon, hulu, etc for movies and tv shows.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Ok time for me to learn something. What exactly is a 6 tuner box. I have an HD/DVR box. This one to be exact. What is the difference?
It basically asks as a whole house DVR although I just use it for my TV, you can connect other TVs to it so you don't need a full box in every room. I wanted it because I record everything and watch it later and during some primetime slots there are more than 2 shows that I want to record at once. It also has a monster 2TB drive so It holds 100s of hours of HD content.

My box is a Cisco 9865HDC:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/product...lti-screen.pdf

More on it from Cox here:
Digital Video Recorder (DVR), DVR Service | Cox Communications

Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Another option for internet is just to use a smartphone and a data plan. And tether it, if allowed in your plan, for use with other devices like laptops/pc's.

For TV, Phoenix metro has many OTA HD signals that can be picked up in most areas with a basic antenna if that's enough tv for you. And maybe netflix, amazon, hulu, etc for movies and tv shows.
It's awesome if you have an unlimited data plan, I'm grandfathered in my plan. It's even better if you can use a free tethering app and not have to pay the monthly service. I did that on my Galaxy S3 often to get internet for my iPad but not all phones support free tethering apps, it depends on what changes the carrier makes to the phone to try and block tethering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area