Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 12:09 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times

Advertisements

If you think it's bad in Phoenix, your head would explode in many other cities. I take it you don't travel much.

If they harass you, call the cops. If they leave you alone, leave them alone. It's quite simple.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:23 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
Rather they're phony or legit just pull a dollar or some change out if you have it and be a blessing to somebody. When you see them begging in front of McDonalds just buy them a breakfast sandwich and go on about your merry way and just thank the Lord that you don't have to beg people for money. Whether they buy alcohol with it or whatever it doesn't matter just know that your heart was in the right place (and God sees your giving heart and he will bless you!) #BelieveThat #Truth

Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
While everyone has a situation, I've never understood why panhandlers cannot try and get a job at a fast-food restaurant or something....I mean "some money" is better than "no money" right? While I have been jobless and unemployed, that is the time when you get in "hustle mode". I was unemployed for 10months and while I was unemployed, I registered with 3 or 4 temp agencies, and also worked part time at a local fast food joint until I was able to land a decent good-paying job. Beats begging strangers on the street. You have to have the mentality that no one is going to give you anything and that you have to depend on yourself

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 08-30-2014 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
I know exactly why they are sitting there, holding up a sign. It has nothing to do with surviving more than taking advantage. It's legal for them to stand their on "public" property, hold up a sign, and beg for money.

Got any tips of getting rid of them beyond not giving them money? Too many schmucks in this city "want to help out the needed." But it's nothing but a good ego stroke.

Maybe I need to hold up a sign "Don't give this guy money, go buy stuff at goodwill!"
Buy them a bus ticket to San Diego or a plane ticket to Hawaii. That's what New York City did. They bought the homeless plane tickets to Hawaii. I'm being facetious but that's what some cities have done. That is pretty sad. They decided to make it another state's problem.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:38 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
If you think it's bad in Phoenix, your head would explode in many other cities. I take it you don't travel much.

If they harass you, call the cops. If they leave you alone, leave them alone. It's quite simple.
I agree but the issue is it was pretty much non-existant here. You had to struggle to find pan-handlers anywhere in the Valley. And in the last 5 years, it's become a routine occurrence. That is why it is so shocking for many here. You just never saw them.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
While everyone has a situation, I've never understood why panhandlers cannot try and get a job at a fast-food restaurant or something....I mean "some money" is better than "no money" right? While I have been jobless and unemployed, that is the time when you get in "hustle mode". I was unemployed for 10months and while I was unemployed, I registered with 3 or 4 temp agencies, and also worked part time at a local fast food joint until I was able to land a decent good-paying job. Beats begging strangers on the street. You have to have the mentality that no one is going to give you anything and that you have to depend on yourself
I agree with you. Though I can certainly understand the true homeless, many who have mental issues and kind of checked out of life.

But for the panhandlers who look clean shaven and dressed well who I'm willing to bet many are just hustlers, as long as people enable them/give them money, they probably figure why bother looking for a job. I think well meaning people are just making the matter worse and enable this behavior. Otherwise, these people wouldn't be standing around so many places making their "living" off of other people. If someone truly is that bad off, needs this/that to get their lives together, there are tons of social programs that they can access, go to a shelter, the salvation army, etc.

Old 08-30-2014, 12:28 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Excellent point, WestCoastBabe . . .

From my understanding, Panhandling (as well as Welfare in general) is far too lucrative nowadays with little or no negative stigma attached.

As you have already stated, there are jobs out there and any type of begging is unnecessary and nothing but a blatant sign of laziness.

Bottom line . . . the best long term help for these beggars is to ignore them.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:06 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree with you. Though I can certainly understand the true homeless, many who have mental issues and kind of checked out of life.

But for the panhandlers who look clean shaven and dressed well who I'm willing to bet many are just hustlers, as long as people enable them/give them money, they probably figure why bother looking for a job. I think well meaning people are just making the matter worse and enable this behavior. Otherwise, these people wouldn't be standing around so many places making their "living" off of other people. If someone truly is that bad off, needs this/that to get their lives together, there are tons of social programs that they can access, go to a shelter, the salvation army, etc.
^^^This. I too used to give my change and sometimes even a couple of dollars. I realized that in a year's time I had donated a pretty good sum of my hard earned money to panhandlers. And it wasn't really helping the problem. So I started putting it all together and donating it as a lump sum to certain charities and organizations that help get the homeless off the street. It is better used and I can be sure it won't go to drugs or alcohol. It is also a way to get a receipt for tax deduction purposes. Try getting a homeless person to give you a receipt..... LOL!

I came up with an idea that I would get some cheap blank business cards. I put on them a few of the major charities that help the homeless along with their phone #. Now when I am asked for money I hand them a card and say I have already donated and you can go to these places for help.

If I am going into a grocery store and I am approached by a panhandler, I will buy a big bottle of water and some kind of snack (like peanut butter crackers) and give it to them when I come back out. If they have already left then there is usually another one not far away and I give it to them.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:21 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Quote:
Many of them are unemployable. Would you hire someone that talks to themselves or argues with people who are not there? An acquaintance of mine spent time as a homeless person and told me there are a few scammers out there but the majority have serious mental issues. I've even seen one guy barking downtown. That was interesting.

I am around them daily as I live downtown. It's not uncommon to find them sleeping in my parking lot or rummaging in the dumpsters. So far I have never had a bad encounter. They leave people alone (based on my experience). I've faced down many aggressive panhandlers in Chicago and Detroit and will take the Phoenix crop any day over those guys.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 PM

63 posts, read 113,957 times
Unfortunately, I can't tell the real needy from the scammers. I don't ever give to panhandlers and choose to donate to homeless shelters and soup kitchens. It is far worse in other cities from my experiences than it is here though. Ignoring them works best for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area