Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,259 times

Advertisements

Hi, Everyone!!

Former lurker with my debut post about relocating to Pheonix from the Midwest!!! My husband's job transfer went through so he will have a job near Tempe! I work from home.

A bit about us: Being from the Midwest, we're very friendly and family oriented. We're also into education and politics. We'd like to find a place with a lot of green so we feel at home. Ideally, it would be near a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods store in a walkable area with festivals, farmer's markets, and parades. We usually spend time with our family on weekends doing the Midwest thing, so this is going to be a big change!

We are looking for a single fmily property if possible, under $1000 a month. Being from the Midwest, we have enjoyed a very low cost of living but we'll raise that figure to get what we're looking for in a non-ghetto area. Also how do you determine a ghetto area of Phoenix? I somehow feel that even the bad areas have houses with nice real estate pictures? We would like to stay near the Tempe area if possible.

While we're excited, we do have a few concerns (please don't be too hard on me here). My husband insists we both have to get guns for the cars because of a lot of freeway incidents there. He said when he was here working before, he watched the news and there were a lot of freeway shootings. And co-workers said they were on the lookout for freeway shooters or something. Is this a big problem? Do I need a bulletproof vest (kidding.... maybe)? Do we really need to be armed in the cars?!! Being from the Midwest we aren't much for guns. What about scorpions? I hvae bee allergies too. Are bees a problem there? I read on here about africanized bee swarms. How often do they swarm in your yard in an average year? Can you usually still go outside when they are in swarming season?

Thannks so much and sry about any errors as I am on my iPhone but just got news from the husband about his job transfser and wanted to poset questions right away!!!!! I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!

Sincerely,
Sydnee

Last edited by sydneemidwestgrl; 07-12-2017 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 11:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
$1000 per month for a house in a great, green, walkable area with festivals and farmer's markets? I'm afraid you're way late to the party. South Scottsdale would be a good choice, near Tempe with tons going on and right on the Greenbelt, but the budget needs to increase. Search for houses in 85251/7 and see what you find.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Do you need to be armed in your car? No.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:07 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
yep, even a tiny, old, single family house in that area is over 300k; meaning at least a 1500 per month mortgage..
Detroit is right; the amenities that you want, in the price range you asked about is long gone in this market place..
And, your questions about gun play and bullet proof vests and such were just sarcastic, weren't they?? I mean nothing is more dangerous that owning/brandishing a gun if you dont know anything about firearms and firearm safety..

Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,259 times
I guess we have to up our budget. Are those neighborhooda walkable?

So I asked a question about guns in cars based off of what my husband said. We don't know much about the state or whether the "wild west" reputation is deserved. I was sarcastic about the vest, obviously! How did you translate my question into "brandishing" by a person who doesn't have any knowledge?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:53 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
1) You are going to need to up your rent budget.

2) No you don't need to ride around with a gun. There was a "Freeway Shooter" a while back but there have been no reported incidents for a long time. In that instance, someone was shooting at cars from the side of the road...nothing you could have done even if you did have a gun in the car. This isn't Mad Max...this is a large American city.

3) Africanized bees are not a normal thing. Yes there have been some, but they don't "swarm your yard" regularly.

4) Other pests...scorpions, desert cockroaches, etc. can be controlled via normal pest control...well scorpions are a bit different but you may not have to worry about them depending on the house.

5) Not a lot of places in the desert with a lot of "green". Expect shades of brown with an interspersing of grass and trees...most of which turn brown in the summer.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
South Scottsdale can certainly be walkable depending on where, but I wouldn't want to walk around running errands in the summer.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:37 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneemidwestgrl View Post

So I asked a question about guns in cars based off of what my husband said. We don't know much about the state or whether the "wild west" reputation is deserved. I was sarcastic about the vest, obviously! How did you translate my question into "brandishing" by a person who doesn't have any knowledge?
I would suggest you spend a bit more time searching the forum to get some knowledge about the state, including the informational pages about the state and various cities (not just the message board part) to really learn about the state.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Arizona.html

It is always recommended that folks start with a forum search as many of your questions, specifically about Midwestern people moving here, have already been answered about bugs, neighborhoods, guns, etc. Some very recently. This is the first recent example of a thread started by a midwesterner that comes to mind:

Looking to hear ONLY from current or former residents of the Midwest that live or have lived in Phoenix area

Old 07-12-2017, 02:58 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneemidwestgrl View Post

I have never heard of anyone here keeping a gun in their car here? Do you think we all ride around threatening each other with guns?

If you look at any road rage shooting in this country, its usually because both people have guns and pull them out. One person gets scared and shoots first.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,141,061 times
People still think this is the wild west unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area