Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 PM

18 posts, read 85,058 times

Advertisements

We're leaving laguna beach, ca on Friday morning, October 17 and driving to Sedona. Would we save the most by getting off of I 10 east then on to 60 to Prescott? We want to avoid the Phoenix rush hour and need to make 6 pm dinner reservations in Sedona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:57 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
Yes if you were to avoid the valley all together on Friday afternoon it would benefit you. Our rush hours aren't that bad but one wreck on I-17 and it could back up pretty badly. It looks like it's about an 8 hour drive. Give yourself at least a couple of hours wiggle room just in case.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:10 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
Take the new Loop 303 around if you want to avoid the majority of rush hour traffic. The Loop 303 will be after the city of Buckeye but before you hit Goodyear if you are coming from California on I-10. It will loop over to I-17 and intersect just south of the Carefree Hwy. Then head north to Sedona.

But pay attention to traffic on I-17, listening to the radio traffic report saved me from being stuck on the big hill out of town for 6 hours due to a fatal accident last month.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
You can take I-10 to 60 east, but it will still bring you through Phoenix traffic. Fridays are terrible for most of the day. Have you thought about taking the I-40 which would bring you through Flagstaff and Sedona is only a 45-minute drive from there? The 60 will still dump you on the I-17 which is usually very busy on the weekends.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Loop 303 will bypass all Phoenix traffic jams. There is a construction zone of about 5 miles just north of US 66, but it moves along OK @45-50 as there are no lights or intersections to slow it down - just reduced to one lane each way. 303 is brand new and may not even be on your GPS or maps. The interchange for it is roughly Milepost 224. You get back on the 17 north of any rush hour backups and will have reasonably clear sailing to Sedona.

101 is also an option. You won't have to deal with traffic there either. The only thing you do not want to do is take 10 into Phoenix and then go north. Bypass PHX altogether on 303 or do just a bit of it on the 101.

I live on the west side and go up north on Friday rather frequently. My choice would be the 303.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
I would either use the 303 around Phoenix, or take the 60/71/89/89A route and forget about the 17 altogether. Google Maps seems to think that it's better to take the 169 from Prescott out to the 17, then north to 179. I'd just forget that and drive through the mountains on 89A.

The 89 through Yarnell, Peeples Valley, Prescott, then the 89A over Mingus Mountain and through Jerome, are very scenic. This route adds almost an hour (according to Google Maps) but it's likely that you won't run into too much traffic. The distance is quite a bit less, but speeds are much lower.

Personally, I'd take the Prescott route even if I had to leave a little earlier, just for the benefit of seeing the scenery and not having to deal with Phoenix. That's just my opinion. If you do use 60/71/89/89A, and haven't taken that route before, just be aware that the road has some very steep climbs and descents, and it has many switchbacks. I consider this a plus, but that's just me.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I would either use the 303 around Phoenix, or take the 60/71/89/89A route and forget about the 17 altogether. Google Maps seems to think that it's better to take the 169 from Prescott out to the 17, then north to 179. I'd just forget that and drive through the mountains on 89A.

The 89 through Yarnell, Peeples Valley, Prescott, then the 89A over Mingus Mountain and through Jerome, are very scenic. This route adds almost an hour (according to Google Maps) but it's likely that you won't run into too much traffic. The distance is quite a bit less, but speeds are much lower.

Personally, I'd take the Prescott route even if I had to leave a little earlier, just for the benefit of seeing the scenery and not having to deal with Phoenix. That's just my opinion. If you do use 60/71/89/89A, and haven't taken that route before, just be aware that the road has some very steep climbs and descents, and it has many switchbacks. I consider this a plus, but that's just me.
I agree with this. I have done this drive and it is beautiful.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,401 times
What is your depends on how you define leaving in the "morning". Going the Prescott route will be a LONG drive. Give yourself plenty of time. Prescott Valley to Sedona alone is a GOOD hour if you come over Mingus Mountain. Slow, steep and curvy and near the end of a long drive isn't something I'd look forward to.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post

I almost posted this exact same thing yesterday! lol I've been driving that route for years and even with the slower speeds I've always made good time. The traffic is nothing compared to the other routes AND it IS really pretty. I've always been able to negotiate the switchbacks at a bit higher speed than posted but I've been driving it for years and have it down pretty good. Just beware of folks in big RVs but there are enough pullouts it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Yes if you were to avoid the valley all together on Friday afternoon it would benefit you. Our rush hours aren't that bad but one wreck on I-17 and it could back up pretty badly. It looks like it's about an 8 hour drive. Give yourself at least a couple of hours wiggle room just in case.
Commuting in Phoenix isn't quite Los Angeles bad but it can be a standstill on some freeways especially on Friday afternoons and evenings.

I-10 eastbound would be a reverse commute in the afternoon so it probably wouldn't be so bad, but I-17 northbound from I-10 to 101 would be backed up during the same time.

The best way to avoid the Phoenix I-17 crush hour mess is take I-10 to the 303 or 101 and head northward-eastward to I-17 then continue north from there. It should be a little less congested driving that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area