Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,947 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/us...tory.html?_r=0

According to the NY Times, after so many historic buildings have been lost in Phoenix- the struggle to preserve the historic buildings that remain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Interesting article. I love seeing some of the interesting architecture of the older buildings. I remember going into Phoenix in the late 90's and they were just bulldozing old buildings and leaving dire lots. It will be interesting to see of this gentrification continues and some of these dirt lots start to fill in. Maybe cut back on the amount of llanteras and liquor stores as well

Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,625,437 times
Having lived here all my life, I don't think any historic buildings are left.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:37 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
List of historic properties in Phoenix, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-19-2014, 02:34 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Interesting article. I love seeing some of the interesting architecture of the older buildings. I remember going into Phoenix in the late 90's and they were just bulldozing old buildings and leaving dire lots. It will be interesting to see of this gentrification continues and some of these dirt lots start to fill in. Maybe cut back on the amount of llanteras and liquor stores as well
I have mixed opinions about preserving old structures. Tearing down old buildings and leaving ugly vacant lots occurs all too often, and that's when efforts should be made to save the structures. However, if a building becomes dilapidated, and a developer wants to build something much nicer & more aesthetically pleasing in its place, I don't see anything wrong with that. What would be even better is if developers left the historic buildings in tact, and the rest of the land is developed around it with something more appealing. This is what's planned for the Monti's site in Tempe in the near future.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,563 times
I don't think Phoenix is going to age well precisely because it lacks the historic architecture that has near universal appeal. People rave about Boston, NYC, Chicago, and Philadelphia because they have such high concentrations of beautifully renovated historic structures. The reality is, we don't build anything with any eye towards art or detail anymore. It's all how big, how clean/modern, and how cheap can we make it. When the ultra modern buildings go out of style (ala 70s brutalist architecture) they become eyesores that ultimately need to be torn down and replaced. Nobody mourns the loss of a depressing, easily reproduced concrete box, but people will always deeply feel the loss of structures such as the old Penn Station in NYC.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
I don't think Phoenix is going to age well precisely because it lacks the historic architecture that has near universal appeal. People rave about Boston, NYC, Chicago, and Philadelphia because they have such high concentrations of beautifully renovated historic structures. The reality is, we don't build anything with any eye towards art or detail anymore. It's all how big, how clean/modern, and how cheap can we make it. When the ultra modern buildings go out of style (ala 70s brutalist architecture) they become eyesores that ultimately need to be torn down and replaced. Nobody mourns the loss of a depressing, easily reproduced concrete box, but people will always deeply feel the loss of structures such as the old Penn Station in NYC.
That's very true. All the cookie cutter stucco developments with bland colors and rock yards have no character. Many of the strip mall centers that were built from the 1970s & beyond have become eyesores because of so many businesses pulling out, and nobody moving in to replace them. They were never all that attractive in the first place, but now many of older ones have fallen to disrepair.

What few architectural novelties remain are often left abandoned or torn down. The SunDome in Sun City West is one example. It wasn't all that aesthetically pleasing on the outside, but it was a very unique type of theatre that drew all kinds of big names for a long time. In the last decade, it was left abandoned and became an eyesore, until it was torn down recently & replaced with something even more world class and historically significant: a Fry's shopping center! Oh well, I guess even that's better than tearing it down & leaving a vacant lot, or leaving it abandoned & dilapidated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area