Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:08 PM

7 posts, read 16,238 times

Advertisements

I would still give it a try especially if you're not happy in your current situation. Since your friend lives here, you should come out in the summer for a visit. I absolutely HATE the summers in AZ and I'm a native. You just deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
There's spoken word events at various location in the Roosevelt Row area of downtown Phoenix. Lawn Gnome has stuff and I've happened upon spoken word events at Songbird Coffee but they're not geared to any particular race of patrons. If you pick up an issue of the New Times (free all over the valley) you'll find listings for music. Many of the bars post event calenders.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:03 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Unless you go to a private nursing school, you will probably have a wait. You might try Carrington; I've heard one can get in quickly, but it is expensive and an ADN.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,979,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypea View Post
I would still give it a try especially if you're not happy in your current situation. Since your friend lives here, you should come out in the summer for a visit. I absolutely HATE the summers in AZ and I'm a native. You just deal with it.
I agree our summers are really no different than dealing with places that are really cold and snowy in the winter....you just deal with it. Yes the summers feel endless but it's really not that bad and unless you're spending a great deal of time outside you won't even know it's 110 out and everywhere is well air conditioned so believe me you'll be fine just drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:34 PM

567 posts, read 788,106 times
Is weather a deal-breaker? If so, look elsewhere.

Menifee gets hot weather, but all you've got to do is to go over the mountains and cool off. Phoenix is in a heat island. Sometimes the low temp during the summer doesn't even get under 90.

People are affected by temperature extremes in different ways. Some aren't sensitive (as the one who said you didn't even know when it was 110), but some are. Only you know whether it would be too much.

BTW: The area around Menifee is a dead-ringer (except for the mountainous/fault formation) for the area around the Town of Maricopa, south of Phoenix.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxychoconaps View Post

I have lived in Cali all of my life....
I've never really heard anybody that lives in California use the term "Cali" before. But I've only lived here 25 years.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I've never really heard anybody that lives in California use the term "Cali" before. But I've only lived here 25 years.
I was thinking the same thing.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:43 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,819 times
OP, you state you don't like dry heat but can tolerate humid heat, Phoenix is definitely not for you. I will also point out that the nursing programs at all the community colleges in the Phoenix area have a very, very long waiting list and I believe my son told me it is a lottery style list. My son has been waiting for 3 years now. So you could get on the list and be chosen tomorrow or you could wait 3 or more years for your name to be drawn. If that doesn't deter you, then consider that since you will need a job while you wait, the allied healthcare positions like a CNA are very low paying here even with several years experience. Yes the cost of living is lower here but the pay still may keep you near poverty level. Once you are a nurse however, pay is of course much better.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:00 AM

113 posts, read 159,994 times
For the average temperatures, check out the chart on the bottom right of this webpage. Remember that for the summer months, the temperature is above this average about half the time....

Climate Phoenix - Arizona and Weather averages Phoenix

Old 01-04-2015, 07:08 AM

494 posts, read 501,832 times
I spent over 20 years in San Diego. . .was in the Marine Corps there and graduated from USD. So, I'm familiar with San Diego's (and Temecula's) weather. Both are mild compared to Phoenix. When we visit San Diego in the summer I find myself feeling cold. . .During the summers Phoenix is an oven and the temperatures never fall below 100 at night. With that said, I suspect most folks acclimate during their first summer.

I'm not sure why you mentioned that your race, but for me (and I'm black) and all others I know of any race, it's not an issue.

Cost of living here is low, low, low compared to San Diego. I live in a premium neighborhood in a large, nice home on a large lot. A similar home in San Diego would be three times what I paid here. Gas today is about $1.95/gallon. If necessary, you can rent an apartment for $400/month in an area equivalent to Old Chula Vista (i.e., W. of the 805) or National City. You could never do that in San Diego.

We like the heat, have a pool, and gainful employment. So, Phoenix works for us. It's a deal breaker for some. . .and if weather is your main focus, you may want to look in another direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area