Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 08:34 PM

58 posts, read 90,820 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Phoenix area soon and i am looking for some recommendations on areas to live. I am leaning towards Scottsdale and i am curious to know if there are any parts that are considered better. I am relatively active - i like to play soccer, tennis, biking, running, walking. I like to live in area where i can walk around in a park- like setting. Initially i will be looking to rent but i may also consider buying a house. Are there some zip codes within Scottsdale that are considered more desirable? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 08:57 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
What's your budget, where will you be working, etc. etc. All the questions we ask everyone who wanders in here.

The one thing I will say is that we were urged by our agent to buy in North Scottsdale (north of the 101 Loop). He kept saying it was more desirable. That may well be.

I didn't like it. What I saw was a 15 minute or more drive to stores and restaurants. And there was nothing like what you're describing, no parkland in which to walk. Just lots of NAOS -- natural area open space, aka continuous natural desert. It's beautiful, but...

We bought in Central Scottsdale, near stores, restaurants, shopping centers and convenient freeway access. And yes, parks and community centers. Lots in our subdivision (no HOA!) are 1 acre, more or less.

Many people here enjoy the same activities as you. You won't have any trouble finding your place.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What's your budget, where will you be working, etc. etc. All the questions we ask everyone who wanders in here.

The one thing I will say is that we were urged by our agent to buy in North Scottsdale (north of the 101 Loop). He kept saying it was more desirable. That may well be.

I didn't like it. What I saw was a 15 minute or more drive to stores and restaurants. And there was nothing like what you're describing, no parkland in which to walk. Just lots of NAOS -- natural area open space, aka continuous natural desert. It's beautiful, but...

We bought in Central Scottsdale, near stores, restaurants, shopping centers and convenient freeway access. And yes, parks and community centers. Lots in our subdivision (no HOA!) are 1 acre, more or less.

Many people here enjoy the same activities as you. You won't have any trouble finding your place.

I will be working in Phoenix not too far from the PHX airport area. My budget to buy is up to 700K but preferably less than 600K. My budget to rent is up to 1400 for 1 bed apartment. It's interesting you mentioned Central Scottsdale because i was looking online at some houses in that area (zip code 85258). How is that zip code compared to 85260 for example?

Old 10-25-2019, 11:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
85258 for sure.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:46 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times
If you're open to a condo or older home I'd personally target 85251 near the green belt, although 85258 is a super nice area too but I like being a little bit closer to an urban setting, in 251 you'd be possibly walkable to old town Scottsdale, or maybe a bike/scooter/golf cart ride.

Depending on your living situation (single, married no kids, married with kids) your preferences may be different but even with a family I think you can't go wrong here.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:25 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
I have a couple of older single family houses in central Scottsdale that would sell for under $700,000 but they aren't rented for $1400/mo. Think twice that.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:27 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Oh I see now the rent was for a 1-bedroom apartment. Not sure if that's doable or not.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
85258 for sure.

Looks like 85258 extends on both sides of the 101 highway and the houses east of 101 (still within the same zip code) are a bit cheaper while west of 101 there isn't much inventory and the houses are more expensive. Is the part east of 101 not that desirable?

Old 10-26-2019, 11:50 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Oh I see now the rent was for a 1-bedroom apartment. Not sure if that's doable or not.
I saw a listing on Zillow this morning for a studio apt in Optima Sonoran Village, which is close to Old Town, the Waterfront and Fashion Square. It might be smaller than what the OP's looking for but the amenities are fantastic and it's a very walkable area. Close to PHX, too. They were asking $1300-something for 660 sq ft. They also accept pets, if that's an issue.

It would be smart to rent before buying.

Old 10-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
If you're open to a condo or older home I'd personally target 85251 near the green belt, although 85258 is a super nice area too but I like being a little bit closer to an urban setting, in 251 you'd be possibly walkable to old town Scottsdale, or maybe a bike/scooter/golf cart ride.

Depending on your living situation (single, married no kids, married with kids) your preferences may be different but even with a family I think you can't go wrong here.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out. I don't mind an older house. Actually i prefer a house with good bones that needs some remodeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area