Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:12 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
Yes, but his opinion has merit since he lived in Phoenix for many years. It's immature to pan Talton regarding a blog post about an neutral topic like weather just because he might not share your ideology about sprawl, the real estate industrial complex or economic development.
I've lived in Phoenix for many years, probably more than he has. So have others on this forum. Longevity just gives us an a little self-righteousness but no more credence than anyone else when it comes to our opinions on the weather, or housing styles, or the merits of sprawl. His work is fiction and opinion particularly with respect to his judgments about Phoenix.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
I love Jon Talton and his blog posts. They're kind of a downer but nobody else speaks the truth like he does. No wonder the Republic canned him. They wouldn't know good journalism if it bit them in the a**.

Talton does offer unique perspective. He raises awareness about the worsening heat island, which will only grow worse due to increasing amounts of concrete. If the Valley had visionary leadership that wasn't in bed with the real estate boyz, the government would figure out how to offset the expanding spans of concrete. ASU scientists are studying this issue and have come up with a variety of ways, such as painting roofs white to reflect the sun, but the Valley just keeps going business as usual.

Yes, it's hot and everyone knows that. But it's getting HOTTER, and few people are talking about that. Except for Talton.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. His truthful commentaries touch a nerve with many in the real estate industrial complex and booster crowd, but again people shouldn't dismiss his commentary on something innocuous as weather. He has experienced first hands the negative effects of the heat island.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Quote:
Yes, but his opinion has merit since he lived in Phoenix for many years.
No more merit than anyone else who has lived here for many years. I've been here for two decades and don't consider my opinions on the weather any more important than someone who's only been here a couple of years.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,229,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I've lived in Phoenix for many years, probably more than he has. So have others on this forum. Longevity just gives us an a little self-righteousness but no more credence than anyone else when it comes to our opinions on the weather, or housing styles, or the merits of sprawl. His work is fiction and opinion particularly with respect to his judgments about Phoenix.
His blog isn't fiction. I actually think he is qualified to write a history book about Phoenix and everyone moving here should read his Phoenix 101 series as a primer.

Rogue Columnist: Phoenix 101

Old 02-03-2015, 01:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I wanna know why that moron is still here if he hates it so bad. He's just feeding his own misery by sticking around, and trying to make everyone else miserable from reading his weird blog.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
. He has experienced first hands the negative effects of the heat island.
SO HAVE I. So have LOTS of people on this forum, and thousands like us who've lived here longer than he did, and others who moved here more recently. His opinion on the subject still means no more than mine or anyone else's, just because he has some name recognition and a platform to speak from.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Right now the weather is just like paradise. Let's talk summer misery when it gets here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: