Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 05:30 PM

169 posts, read 281,717 times

Advertisements

I personally despise it. Earlier today, I had planned to go for a quiet, leisurely stroll down a residential street. No fewer than 5 of these bikes with rackety motors attached zoomed by me within 30 mins meaning I had to leap out of the way or be rammed by some inconsiderate punk. They are becoming all too common on our sidewalks. How are they legal? As far as I'm concerned, they are one step down from riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk and are very dangerous, not to mention noisy.

No wonder America has one of the most obese populations on the planet. If it has gotten to the point where people are too lazy to peddle their own bike, then I fear for the future of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 05:59 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,460,382 times
Electric bikes, bicycles that are built with motors in them to help augment the rider's own pedaling power, are okay. They can help people with limited strength to pedal longer distances or conquer steeper hills than they might otherwise be able to handle. Like you, I have a problem with DIY projects that involve gas-powered motors attached to regular bicycles. Those are noisier and more dangerous than electric bikes.

Old 03-07-2015, 06:51 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,435,845 times
The bicycle with a little engine mounted to it is in use all over the planet.
Now, when a guy screws a V8 with a blower on his bike, that would be horri... wait a second, I would love to see that.

Be thankful this guy lives far away.....
http://youtu.be/tAmdXW0lDoM

Old 03-07-2015, 07:14 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,487,367 times
A few years ago I had to take a safe driving class to get out of a speeding ticket. During a break I was talking to the cop teaching the class about those bikes. Among his colleagues they called them "DUI bikes". A good majority of the people on those bikes had had their drivers license taken away. The bikes fall into a grey area that the cops really can't do anything about.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:22 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,527,847 times
Not knowing the if the person on the bike had any physical limitations and this was a way for him to vet around, I have no comment.
But I can see where you got frustrated.

Bicycle riders driving in traffic with cars , now that I could say something about

Old 03-07-2015, 07:45 AM

169 posts, read 281,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Bicycle riders driving in traffic with cars , now that I could say something about
Cyclists are supposed to be on the road. Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Ideally, there would be a bike lane for all cyclists but this isn't always the case. Having said that, I can deal with a mannerly pedal cyclist travelling slowly down the sidewalk who makes way for pedestrians. It's the motor-powered bikes I can't stand.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:20 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
I personally despise it. Earlier today, I had planned to go for a quiet, leisurely stroll down a residential street. No fewer than 5 of these bikes with rackety motors attached zoomed by me within 30 mins meaning I had to leap out of the way or be rammed by some inconsiderate punk. They are becoming all too common on our sidewalks. How are they legal? As far as I'm concerned, they are one step down from riding a motorcycle on the sidewalk and are very dangerous, not to mention noisy.

No wonder America has one of the most obese populations on the planet. If it has gotten to the point where people are too lazy to peddle their own bike, then I fear for the future of this country.
I believe that with your situation, I am highly in favor of their use and would openly advocate for greater numbers in your area, even issuing motors to un-powered bikes thru some type of gov't program funded by local residents property taxes

Old 03-07-2015, 08:28 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,618,668 times
Quote:
How do you feel about cyclists attaching motors to their bike?
How do I feel? How do I FEEL?

At first I felt, "What's the point of having a bicycle?"

As my feelings tenderized, I eventually began to feel that if the police feel okay with it, then it must be okay.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post

Being a regular Bicycle Rider, Phenomenon . . . I HATE 'EM

Not only are they Noisy and Dangerous (no operator's license or vehicle license / inspections required) as you have already addressed, THEY STINK with excessive emissions.

I ride my bike on quick errands / trips mostly to the Bank, Post Office and Coffee Shop for exercise, improved health and fresh air, NOT to be offensive or an arrogant lawbreaker.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,457,135 times
Here in Ontario, if it burns a hydro carbon fuel.......It is legally a "Motor Vehicle " and as such the operator has to have a M class driver's license, a Provincial license plate, and MANDATORY collision /liability insurance coverage of one million dollars, which is the minimum required under the law in Ontario.. Helmet required, and lights on at all times, for visibility.

If it has a electric motor, powered by a battery, it is not a "motor vehicle " under our laws. Still requires a helmet, and lights on at all times.

Neither of these vehicles are allowed to drive on a pedestrian sidewalk, or a limited access highway.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area