Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 12:55 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times

Advertisements

When checking online ads, I'm frequently noticing asking prices for common cars like a Toyota Camry and Honda Accord sold by private parties about 10=20% above Blue Book prices. Is the used car market that strong in metro Phoenix to where asking prices are high? Are sellers getting above Blue Book prices?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 AM

39 posts, read 58,806 times
I'm trying to sell a used car, asking below KBB value, just want to get what I owe on it, and nothing. Just a few inquiries, when I reply none of the interested parties even reply back. But I know people who have paid outrageous prices for used cars with high miles. I don't get the Phoenix used car market at all...

Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 AM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Asking price isn't selling price. Last time I looked I noticed that too. If the price isn't too crazy I don't worry about it. But when time comes to make a deal I tell them my bank won't loan me more than KBB price. Then it's up to them whether they will settle or not.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:02 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Are you paying cash or going to finance? Makes a difference.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 AM

191 posts, read 172,004 times
A lot of so called private partiers aren't really private parties. There are a lot of curbstoners out there who buy at auctions and then sell through craigslist. Usually you can figure out who they are by the ads. Sometimes the whole family will be involved using different phone numbers and locations. Unless the sellers name is on the title they are curbstoners. I would estimate half or more of the CL ads are curbstoners.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:03 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
A lot of so called private partiers aren't really private parties. There are a lot of curbstoners out there who buy at auctions and then sell through craigslist. Usually you can figure out who they are by the ads. Sometimes the whole family will be involved using different phone numbers and locations. Unless the sellers name is on the title they are curbstoners. I would estimate half or more of the CL ads are curbstoners.
Doesn't that mean different tax treatment like sales tax etc.?

Old 04-11-2015, 02:18 PM

837 posts, read 2,334,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post

Yea we ran into a few of these auto brokers on Craigslist advertising as a private seller. Honestly, they should be reported because it's illegal to do so. They'll roll the tax into the cost of the vehicle

Old 04-11-2015, 02:41 PM

363 posts, read 929,893 times
Scumbags... They buy a car from an auto auction and resell them within a couple of days. When you ask about the history they straight up lie: My mother can't drive anymore... it's been in the family for 5 years bla bla bla. You do a carfax search and there it is: Sold at an auto auction last week. STAY AWAY from these @holes.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,839 times
Well after searching for a car for 4 months, I've come to the conclusion that there is both a a bad combination of a dearth of private party used vehicles and way above book value asking prices for cars in metro Phoenix.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:54 AM

14 posts, read 41,407 times
You have to ask above what you want, everyone thinks they can come in at half like they are on one of these reality shows. Start high and take a huge % off to give them the warm and fuzzy feeling. Everyone wins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: