Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM

63 posts, read 141,803 times

Advertisements

anyone know of an inexpensive clinic to get a shingle shot went to safeway and they wanted $250.00 without insurance seems like a lot so I'm just looking for options and prices ....thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
I did some coogling and came up with this Immunization Clinics | Community Benefit & Outreach Programs

It gives a phone number to call to see if shingles (herpes zoster) vaccines will be available at any upcoming clinic. It doesn't show that one on their price list. Call and see what you find out.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,139,904 times
have you EVER tried to say "Shingles shots" three times,,,,,

Old 01-09-2013, 12:49 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,182,456 times
Go to Costco. With my insurance it was free. No insurance? Call and ask their price. You DO NOT have to be a member.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,884,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Go to Costco. With my insurance it was free. No insurance? Call and ask their price. You DO NOT have to be a member.
Yep. Cheapest at Costco if you're insurance doesn't cover it.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:13 AM

63 posts, read 141,803 times
thanks for the replies very helpful

Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,543,612 times
I had my shingles shot and a flu shot in Oct. I didn't pay anything for either one thru BC/BS. I didn't know the going price was $250 without insurance. That's terrible. Is there no end to the rip off cost of Health Care.

I can't think of anyplace to get one at a low cost.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM

654 posts, read 1,497,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had my shingles shot and a flu shot in Oct. I didn't pay anything for either one thru BC/BS. I didn't know the going price was $250 without insurance. That's terrible. Is there no end to the rip off cost of Health Care.

I can't think of anyplace to get one at a low cost.
Canada

Old 01-10-2013, 10:08 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,334,315 times
I researched this very carefully because several members of my family had shingles. The two doctors I consulted both said not to get the vaccine until you're 60, but don't dawdle after that. If you have health insurance it will usually be covered, but if you don't $200+ is the going rate everywhere. Safeway was also one of the places I checked and they said $250, as did the two urgent care clinics I phoned. Walgreen's Clinic said $235 and Costco was the cheapest at $215 on the day I called.

I asked my doctor why so expensive and she said it's because the vaccine has a very short shelf life. It has to be injected within a short period of time after it is made (if that's the proper word), has to be refrigerated, etc. If clinics get the vaccine and then nobody uses it, they have to eat the cost. So no matter how it's being paid for, get an appointment for the shot and call ahead to make sure they have it. If you have health insurance and they balk at covering it, ask you doctor to contact them and explain that you are related to people with shingles because that does give you the predisposition to get it. And remind them they don't want to pay the cost of treatment if you GET shingles. Sometimes they will give you a waiver.

Costco is generally a good pharmacy if you don't have insurance. Tell them and they will enroll you free of charge in their program that gives discounts to the uninsured. You get a card that you can flash the next time you are there to get the discount automatically. Both Target and Walmart have a long list of popular medications that you can get for around $5, so always check on that first for any prescription. But I've always found Costco matching that price, if not bettering it. I take one medication my insurance won't cover and I got it at Costco with the "no insurance" card for only $8. How ridiculous that I can't get coverage on something my doctor says I need and it costs less than $10??

My only gripe with the Costco pharmacy is that they no longer recycle prescription pill bottles and they used to.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:28 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,455,440 times
I have auto-immune problems and cannot have the shingles shot and wish I could. My dad suffered terribly when he had shingles at age 91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area