Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 07:43 PM

129 posts, read 188,298 times

Advertisements

We have a 12 inch solar tube in our windowless bathroom.
I am amazed at the way that it lights up the whole room so evenly.
Best upgrade ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 08:28 PM

892 posts, read 1,508,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
and, above all, much less noise[/color].
Noise? How does a skylight make noise? (no matter how I word this in my head...it sounds smart-alecky to me..that's not at all my intention, genuinely curious. Noise level isn't something that ever occurred to me with a skylight)

Old 05-11-2015, 09:40 PM

64 posts, read 74,804 times
Does a solar tube illuminate the room/space more then a skylight?

We have a skylight in our bathroom (about 12" by 12") but it has a square channel running all the way up to the roof. If a solar tube would do a better job of illuminating the room, would this be worth a switch?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:47 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,160,083 times
Quote:
I agree with Kurt . . .

About six years ago, I replaced my old skylights with Solar Tubes (total of five) in my fairly small (1400 sq ft) home and LOVE 'EM.

More light, less heat in Summer, less cold in Winter and, above all, much less noise
did you install the solar tubes yourself? If so,what was that like?, and ever had problems with leaks? Thx.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:02 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,794,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Noise? How does a skylight make noise? (no matter how I word this in my head...it sounds smart-alecky to me..that's not at all my intention, genuinely curious. Noise level isn't something that ever occurred to me with a skylight)
I was equally as amazed, Urbex . . .

Although never mentioned / addressed while I was doing my research, after installation I noticed much less day to day noise inside my home.

Just the usual stuff we have become so accustomed to such as Helicopters and Airplanes flying over, Emergency Vehicles with sirens blaring plus the biggee . . . RAIN.

My home originally had a big 4' Skylight in the Kitchen and three 2' Skylights, one in each bathroom and one in the entrance hallway. Although fully insulated, the Skylights must have been acting as "ear drums" and basically amplifying exterior noises. Not huge but definitely an advantage and a point to consider.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,794,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
did you install the solar tubes yourself? If so,what was that like?, and ever had problems with leaks? Thx.
Sorry, Slowesthand . . . too much for me to attempt. They were professionally installed but from what I observed, not all that complicated.

So far, NO LEAKS (knock on wood), however, I did have a few leaks from the original Skylights before the switchover.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,642,078 times
Quote:
I agree with Kurt . . .

About six years ago, I replaced my old skylights with Solar Tubes (total of five) in my fairly small (1400 sq ft) home and LOVE 'EM.

More light, less heat in Summer, less cold in Winter and, above all, much less noise
Yep! Solar Tubes are a great invention, Bummer!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,597,275 times
My husband had two solar tubes put into his garage to create more natural light. He loves it. I get confused and think that somebody left the garage door open, it's so bright in there now.

Once again, the home shows came thru for us. We found 3 different vendors and got quotes from all 3 before deciding which one to go with. One stop shopping!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM

892 posts, read 1,508,402 times
Quote:
Just the usual stuff we have become so accustomed to such as Helicopters and Airplanes flying over, Emergency Vehicles with sirens blaring plus the biggee . . . RAIN.
Now that does make sense....after thinking about it that way, I can see where a large chunk of plastic would do that, similar to the effect of sitting in the rain inside an old car with no head liner - sounds like it's raining gravel as it hits the roof of the car, lol.

The upshot for me is that I'm moving out to the country, so the hope is that I'll be hearing far less of traffic, sirens, and the like anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area