Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:01 PM

153 posts, read 317,878 times

Advertisements

I have been seeing a lot of threads about red light cameras. What if you're driving a company vehicle? Obviously, red light violations are criminal - not civil. Thus, they must be filed against people. There's no way to charge a company with a crime. How does this process work in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
I suspect they will send the notice to the company. If I was a business owner and one of my drivers ran a red light I would need to have a talk with him/her. The business could be liable big time for the actions of their employees. They might be forgiving once (twice?), but not too often.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Red light violation is not criminal. Not in Arizona anyway. I don't know how they handle the camera. Maybe mail it to the registered owner and ask for the identity of the driver? If they do get you, you have to go to red light traffic school. You can also do defensive driving if eligible and once you complete these things the ticket (and points etc) are dismissed.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Red light violation is not criminal. Not in Arizona anyway. I don't know how they handle the camera. Maybe mail it to the registered owner and ask for the identity of the driver? If they do get you, you have to go to red light traffic school. You can also do defensive driving if eligible and once you complete these things the ticket (and points etc) are dismissed.
Would it be civil then? This seems to read that it is against a "person":

28-645 - Traffic control signal legend

Quote:
On receipt of a record of judgment for a violation of this subdivision or an act in another jurisdiction that if committed in this state would be a violation of this section, the department shall order the person to attend and successfully complete traffic survival school educational sessions within sixty days after the department issues the order. Notwithstanding section 28-3315, if the person fails to attend or successfully complete traffic survival school educational sessions, the department shall suspend the person's driving privilege pursuant to section 28-3306 until the person attends and successfully completes traffic survival school educational sessions. A person whose driving privilege is suspended pursuant to this subdivision may request a hearing. If the person requests a hearing, the department shall conduct the hearing as prescribed in section 28-3306. A law enforcement officer or a jurisdiction issuing a citation to a person who violates this subdivision shall provide written notice to the person that if eligible, the person may attend defensive driving school or, if not eligible or if the person chooses not to attend defensive driving school and is found responsible or enters a plea of responsible for a violation of this subsection, the person must attend and successfully complete traffic survival school educational sessions. The notice shall include a reference to red light violations and state that if the person is required to attend traffic survival school the person will receive notice from the motor vehicle division.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:30 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post
Would it be civil then? This seems to read that it is against a "person":

28-645 - Traffic control signal legend
Yes, it's civil. You are a person, no? It does not matter who owns the car, it's all about the driver (person). The car is not responsible, the driver is. The company was not driving and is not responsible for your violation. If they figure out who you are, then you will have to attend traffic survival school or lose your license. You can also attend DDC course and get the whole thing wiped off your record. Relax! It's a speed bump on the road of life. And pay attention and don't run red lights. Just saw today that two kids were killed by a red light runner. You don't want to be that guy (and your boss doesn't either).

Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are a person, no? It does not matter who owns the car, it's all about the driver (person). The car is not responsible, the driver is. The company was not driving and is not responsible for your violation. If they figure out who you are, then you will have to attend traffic survival school or lose your license. You can also attend DDC course and get the whole thing wiped off your record. Relax! It's a speed bump on the road of life. And pay attention and don't run red lights. Just saw today that two kids were killed by a red light runner. You don't want to be that guy (and your boss doesn't either).
You can save the "don't run red lights" for some other thread. You say that on every thread about this topic. I am asking purely about Arizona law here and what the procedure is for when this happens.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
If I were you, BigDwik . . .

Rather than being concerned about the ticket, I would be more concerned how your boss is going to react. Especially if you opt to ignore the violation and not inform him prior to the citation being served.

Driving a company vehicle in a very arrogant / disrespectful way and then ignoring it could very well be grounds for dismissal.

Good Luck

Old 07-26-2017, 10:42 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
Redlight tickets are sent to the owner of the vehicle.. If that happens to be a company car then it is between you and the Boss.... Sometimes the company sends a link to an email of what happened... So the Boss will know for sure what happened...

Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 PM

My god. Two more off-topic replies I see. Thanks to those who are staying on-topic.

I am specifically here looking for experiences of how the state of AZ treats these violations when the vehicle is not registered to an individual, but is registered to an entity. The purpose of this post is for research. That entity could be government, corporation, LLC, nonprofit, or even a trust or other form of asset protection entity.

I don't own a company. I don't work for a company that has vehicles. I don't even live in a state with cameras. So stop the lecturing.

Please save your keyboard unless you specifically have an experience or knowledge of how the legal process works against an entity.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM

200 posts, read 413,407 times
^^^^ if you don't want people to reply, then why even ask the question? Sure some people went a little off track, big deal.....
I'm sure there are better places than this forum to do your legal research. Anyway, in my experience, we get the notice in the mail, because it's sent to the registered owner of the vehicle. Each situation and employee is different, but for the most part the tickets get filed in the round bin and never to be heard of again.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area