Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 3,243 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm a 23 year old woman living in long Island New York currently and my mother and I were thinking to move to phoenix after the loss of my father, long Island is no longer an viable option for us and I have a few questions for phoenix residents:

1. being both Italian and Hispanic is phoenix friendly to biracial people such as myself?

2. how is the crime rate there?

3. Are property taxes are oppressive?

4. where is the best place in phoenix to move to? (low crime, good job opportunities, good community.)

Thank you so much for you're time to answer these questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoboforce View Post
Hello I'm a 23 year old woman living in long Island New York currently and my mother and I were thinking to move to phoenix after the loss of my father, long Island is no longer an viable option for us and I have a few questions for phoenix residents:

1. being both Italian and Hispanic is phoenix friendly to biracial people such as myself?

2. how is the crime rate there?

3. Are property taxes are oppressive?

4. where is the best place in phoenix to move to? (low crime, good job opportunities, good community.)

Thank you so much for you're time to answer these questions.

Don't move here, or anywhere, sight unseen. Come for a visit before you uproot yourself to such a different area.

There are all kinds of mixed race people here. That is not going to be an issue for you.

Crime rate is a broad question. No area anywhere is without crime. This is a VERY large metro area, with some areas better than others. Property crime is an issue in some areas, violent crime mostly involves people who know one another in some context.

Property taxes are much lower here than in the east.

Best place to live? There are lots of nice areas. Where you live should be largely determined by where you will be working. Though you ask about property taxes, you should rent for a while before you buy out here. You should know the area better before you make that kind of commitment.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:03 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,991,864 times
My two cents. You're bound to get some very good responses from posters here.

1. Yes.

2. Probably a bit higher than Long Island. There's a few neighborhoods that are considered hotbeds of crime around the Valley but in most cases you'll be fine if not involving yourself in illegal activities.

3. Your taxes, all around, will be much lower than Long Island.

4. Difficult question to answer. Different strokes for different folks. If you have the money to do so, I would recommend visiting first and scoping out the Valley.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Don't move here, or anywhere, sight unseen. Come for a visit before you uproot yourself to such a different area.

There are all kinds of mixed race people here. That is not going to be an issue for you.

Crime rate is a broad question. No area anywhere is without crime. This is a VERY large metro area, with some areas better than others. Property crime is an issue in some areas, violent crime mostly involves people who know one another in some context.

Property taxes are much lower here than in the east.

Best place to live? There are lots of nice areas. Where you live should be largely determined by where you will be working. Though you ask about property taxes, you should rent for a while before you buy out here. You should know the area better before you make that kind of commitment.
I would hope my mother and I can visit phoenix first. As for work i'm already looking for work in the area. I'm glad you suggested renting(something I will definitely look into), when it comes to property taxes is more or less a guide for later on if we choose to move into a home.( its mainly for my mother who is retired and prefers a home)

Old 07-27-2015, 11:32 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
I would hope my mother and I can visit phoenix first. As for work i'm already looking for work in the area. I'm glad you suggested renting(something I will definitely look into), when it comes to property taxes is more or less a guide for later on if we choose to move into a home.( its mainly for my mother who is retired and prefers a home)
Definitely visit first, as others have stated. That cant be stressed enough! The desert isnt for everyone, and many, many, many people relocate here, then leave after a few years. Its very hot, for a long time, and not many people can cope with that year after year. Scorpions can be a problem for many people, too. Be sure to visit and ask neighbors if they have problems with them. Some homes are downright infested with them, and can make for scary nights. Not trying to scare you at all, just do a lot of research before moving, and try to visit several times if you can, mainly in summer to see if yuo can deal with the scorching heat. Good luck!

Old 07-27-2015, 12:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,299,652 times
Quote:
Not sure what you mean regarding moving into a home?

I moved here sight unseen. It's not for everyone, though!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:33 PM
8sm

8 posts, read 11,545 times
My condolence for the loss of your father. He would be so proud to know you are looking after your mother.

Yet, to help with some of your questions.

Yes, there is a lot to do and see in Phoenix and Arizona. There are a mixture of cultures, races and good people throughout Phoenix metro. Being of mixed race ( Hawaiian/Chinese and Italian Lebanese ) the wife and I have never felt uncomfortable with your surroundings. Yet, as suggested ... visit and form an opinion on what your lifestyle and surrounds would be best for mom and yourself.

Yes, crime is more prevalent in certain areas of Phx metro. Yet, keep in mind the suburbs are smaller towns which are separated by a sign if you miss you would not know you're in another town. Every town has their hot spots for crime, yet nothing is untouchable. Some of the affordable parts of the metro have newer and resale homes yet crime can be an issue due to the location or demographics.

I moved to Phoenix in 1972, having since retired with move to out of state to be near my wife family. I have some knowledge on the areas you have touched on; having sold real estate throughout the valley since 1987. I would be happy to discuss my experience in Arizona and the phx metro if you need any further questions.

BTW, yes the property taxes are lower, much lower than Long Island.

All the above suggestions are valid concerns and warranted advice. Phoenix ( Maricopa/Pinal counties ) were hit badly by the 2005/2006 housing crash. Certain areas are recovering yet others outlying areas are moving slowly. All the reason to be careful were you buy. If you don't like it, it maybe awhile before you can sell it. Buyer beware!

Should my son one day reach out for advice when helping his mother relocate. I hope he finds this forum, it can be a costly mistake especially when dealing with a large investment like a home and good sound experienced advice is what I hope they find. BTW, we have some very good hospitals and healthcare facilities through out the Valley of the Sun.

I hope this helps, if you need any further questions or looking for advice please feel free to use my private message.

Best Regards........ 8sm

Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
The more important question is do you and/or your mother drive? And do you have a car? Public transit in Phoenix is nothing like NYC.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:20 PM

551 posts, read 693,828 times
Quote:
Hello I'm a 23 year old woman living in long Island New York currently and my mother and I were thinking to move to phoenix after the loss of my father, long Island is no longer an viable option for us...
Are you moving for senior amenities for your mother? More information might help us tailor the area for you. The phoenix metro area is like if NYC was smashed flat, so its huge and sprawling. Knowing more info might help us determine if this is a good fit.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sm View Post
My condolence for the loss of your father. He would be so proud to know you are looking after your mother.

Yet, to help with some of your questions.

Yes, there is a lot to do and see in Phoenix and Arizona. There are a mixture of cultures, races and good people throughout Phoenix metro. Being of mixed race ( Hawaiian/Chinese and Italian Lebanese ) the wife and I have never felt uncomfortable with your surroundings. Yet, as suggested ... visit and form an opinion on what your lifestyle and surrounds would be best for mom and yourself.

Yes, crime is more prevalent in certain areas of Phx metro. Yet, keep in mind the suburbs are smaller towns which are separated by a sign if you miss you would not know you're in another town. Every town has their hot spots for crime, yet nothing is untouchable. Some of the affordable parts of the metro have newer and resale homes yet crime can be an issue due to the location or demographics.

I moved to Phoenix in 1972, having since retired with move to out of state to be near my wife family. I have some knowledge on the areas you have touched on; having sold real estate throughout the valley since 1987. I would be happy to discuss my experience in Arizona and the phx metro if you need any further questions.

BTW, yes the property taxes are lower, much lower than Long Island.

All the above suggestions are valid concerns and warranted advice. Phoenix ( Maricopa/Pinal counties ) were hit badly by the 2005/2006 housing crash. Certain areas are recovering yet others outlying areas are moving slowly. All the reason to be careful were you buy. If you don't like it, it maybe awhile before you can sell it. Buyer beware!

Should my son one day reach out for advice when helping his mother relocate. I hope he finds this forum, it can be a costly mistake especially when dealing with a large investment like a home and good sound experienced advice is what I hope they find. BTW, we have some very good hospitals and healthcare facilities through out the Valley of the Sun.

I hope this helps, if you need any further questions or looking for advice please feel free to use my private message.

Best Regards........ 8sm
Thank you so much for you're advice, its been a tough two years for my mother and hearing that there are good hospitals and doctors for her is a plus for Arizona. I'm still kinda new to the housing market ( taxes, cost of living etc.) It's gonna be a first time move for me so thanks for the heads up, hopefully there should be at least a good neighborhood to move into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area