Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:43 PM

1,755 posts, read 3,000,968 times

Advertisements

I'm an introvert but I like nice people. Where I was in Texas, I thought it was a little too extraverted for me. People were...too friendly? Too in your face? I'm not sure. But what is Phoenix like? Are people generally loud and in your face and extremely extraverted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 02:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times
I would say no. I think the friendliness is moderate. If you want to walk around a mall or whatever and not have to talk to anyone, no one will bother you. But, if you want to say hi to someone in the grocery checkout line or some other random place, you won't get a silent, "I cannot *believe* this person just TALKED to me" stare of revulsion and shock, either.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:47 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,726,528 times
I don't find Phoenix people at all loud, ever, even when loudness is called for. In fact, most people won't talk to you beyond a "Hello," unless you talk first.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:33 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,669,627 times
I find most people here passive and timid. It's annoying.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:44 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
You get the level of friendliness you put out, most of the time. I don't think you can overgeneralize something like this, and you will find all kinds of people here, since most are from somewhere else. You won't get the over the top friendly, neighbor showing up on the doorstep with a pie that you would get in the South or in Texas, unless your neighbor is recently from there, but it's not like most people are cold and unfriendly either. I can get a response from most people I pass on the sidewalk, and often get a greeting from people I would not have expected to get one from, either.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:26 PM

408 posts, read 582,282 times
People in Phoenix tend to keep to themselves, or won't speak unless spoken to. The rudeness kicks in when it comes to driving in this city, and the aloofness is just a general part of being out west it seems. I believe it comes with the territory and nature of Zonies.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,776,699 times
I am born and raised rural (about 25,000 people) Minnesota girl and moved to Phoenix at 18 so basically all of my adult life thus far has been there. I found people to be an odd sort of extroverted. Like to the point where they will always make comments about your check out items and randomly just make comments about anything and everything. Not an organized sort of extroversion like here in the midwest where you make small talk, say nice things to each other and say hi to passerby's. In Phoenix it's like a free for all sort of thing. Like the time the guy in the line behind me at a checkout made a comment about some items I was purchasing... I've definitely turned red a few times which doesn't happen easily. Needless to say I never had any troubles making friends there.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:44 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You get the level of friendliness you put out, most of the time. I don't think you can overgeneralize something like this, and you will find all kinds of people here, since most are from somewhere else. You won't get the over the top friendly, neighbor showing up on the doorstep with a pie that you would get in the South or in Texas, unless your neighbor is recently from there, but it's not like most people are cold and unfriendly either. I can get a response from most people I pass on the sidewalk, and often get a greeting from people I would not have expected to get one from, either.
When we moved to our house in Estrella years back, one of the neighbors with whom we are now good friends but did not know at the time, left brownies by our door along with a welcome to the hood note. We were afraid to eat them though, thinking they might be poisoned! That's thinking like a Phoenician. We old timers still go and say hi to any newcomers that move in our vicinity and try to get to know them and their kids, dogs etc. We have block parties too on Halloween and if there is something big going on like college games. We all know each other by name at least, often as friends. We've been here for years, of course, and our kids played together and still keep touch. None of us are from the south or Texas.

The friendly tradition started I guess when Estrella was very small and a pretty good analogue of a little town. It ain't that anymore, though, I do think there is more community here than most places and neighborliness is still in fashion.

Our development has a couple Facebook pages where people discuss all sorts of things going on, hunt down lost pets, and sometimes make plans and friends. I know that others do as well, so the OP might look into that if he/she wants to be more involved with their neighbors.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:33 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When we moved to our house in Estrella years back, one of the neighbors with whom we are now good friends but did not know at the time, left brownies by our door along with a welcome to the hood note. We were afraid to eat them though, thinking they might be poisoned! That's thinking like a Phoenician. We old timers still go and say hi to any newcomers that move in our vicinity and try to get to know them and their kids, dogs etc. We have block parties too on Halloween and if there is something big going on like college games. We all know each other by name at least, often as friends. We've been here for years, of course, and our kids played together and still keep touch. None of us are from the south or Texas.

The friendly tradition started I guess when Estrella was very small and a pretty good analogue of a little town. It ain't that anymore, though, I do think there is more community here than most places and neighborliness is still in fashion.

Our development has a couple Facebook pages where people discuss all sorts of things going on, hunt down lost pets, and sometimes make plans and friends. I know that others do as well, so the OP might look into that if he/she wants to be more involved with their neighbors.

This is too true, in almost every neighborhood I've lived in around town my neighbors have been initially hostile then generally friendly (wave hello) but aloof and indifferent. I don't even know my next door neighbors name, she's a friendly older woman who drives a Prius with the requisite Obama/Kerry and other excessive stickers, her husband with a Subaru wagon with even more of the requisite bumper stickers, and we'll chat for 5 or so minutes every here and there but I know nothing about her and I've only seen her husband one time.

When I lived in Tampa it was very different, my neighbors wanted to know me and hang out with me and have BBQs in the street etc. When I first moved there they thought I was weird because I didn't talk to anybody, that's how my upbringing generally was. Same in Denver. Same with Seattle and Same with Tucson. I knew all of my neighbors in Tucson. I know none of them now.

It's not bad, I am pretty introverted myself, I work a lot so I'm not usually in social situations outside of meetings, but I wouldn't call Phoenix extroverted or introverted. Just aloof.

As for driving yes people are rude, this isn't exclusive though drivers suck everywhere. There's just a level of angry aggression that can exist here that is a little different than most cities, but it stays on the roads.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,483,327 times
I found Phoenix metro extremely friendly but not in a fake way. It is a good mix of introverts and extroverts but overall most people seemed extremely tolerant and sociable overall. Phoenix women are extremely good looking and friendly overall I thought, just a non bias take on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area