Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,369,092 times

Advertisements

With some states now introducing 70 mph speed limits in urban areas, I easily think some of our Valley freeways (which are among the nation's best designed) can easily support 70 mph speed limits as well.

I was wondering, which Phoenix area freeways do you think can support 70 mph speed limits?

Here are my picks:
  • I-10 from SR 85 to 43rd Avenue
  • I-10 from Baseline Road to Queen Creek Road
  • I-17 from Loop 101 to Carefree Highway
  • Loop 101 Agua Fria Freeway
  • Loop 101 Pima Freeway from I-17 to Pima Road
  • Loop 101 from Shea Boulevard to Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway (after construction is complete, obviously)
  • Loop 202 (all)
  • US 60 Superstition Freeway (all)
  • Loop 303 (after full freeway conversion)
Also, I would raise the portions of I-17 and SR 51 that are currently 55 mph to 60 mph. As for raising the Loop 101 Price Freeway to 70 I am not so sure due to the higher amount of traffic.

What does anyone here think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 10:05 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,976,131 times
I've read studies that higher speed limit freeways can be safer than low speed limit freeways.

To answer your question, I've found the average travel speed up to 80mph sometimes around town, I think they all CAN support it, but in the age of texting who knows how many more deadly rollovers this might cause.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I've read studies that higher speed limit freeways can be safer than low speed limit freeways.

To answer your question, I've found the average travel speed up to 80mph sometimes around town, I think they all CAN support it, but in the age of texting who knows how many more deadly rollovers this might cause.

Note that I excluded the inner city portion of I-10, I-17 south of Loop 101, and SR 51. I-10 within central Phoenix for many years remained at 55 mph until 2009.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:09 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times
I think most of the highways around town could support 85

Old 12-15-2015, 10:10 AM

586 posts, read 542,618 times
It's already the normal rate of speed so I would say almost all could support the increase. If you driving under 70 on most of these roads you are getting passed quickly and often, increasing your risk.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think most of the highways around town could support 85
Here in Arizona that is unlikely to happen even in rural areas due to the state's 85+ criminal speeding law, which the state's lawmakers refuse to change. There needs to be at least a 10 mph buffer between the posted speed limit and the criminal speeding threshold.

Note that the southern portions of I-17 and SR 51, as well as SR 143 are posted at 55 mph, and going straight to 70 mph would be a huge increase. I do believe the reason for the lower speed limits on these freeways is due to substandard design (I-17 I think was grandfathered into the Interstate Highway System and would not qualify for an Interstate designation if it were built the same way today).

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 12-15-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
With some states now introducing 70 mph speed limits in urban areas, I easily think some of our Valley freeways (which are among the nation's best designed) can easily support 70 mph speed limits as well. I was wondering, which Phoenix area freeways do you think can support 70 mph speed limits?
All of them could (even I17), and for many reasons. Most modern vehicles are equipped for faster speeds now ... even the cars with V4 engines can accelerate to a higher speed in less time than 20+ years ago. I've heard the tired out argument that Phoenix is an urban area, and should have lower speed limits ... however, the fact that our weather is clear much of the time and our freeways are in generally good condition contributes to fewer traffic issues compared to cities back east. It's actually safer to drive fast on the freeways (so long as conditions allow for it) than slow. The 55 MPH speed limits are obsolete, and should have gone the way of gasohol, pet rocks, disco, streaking, and other bad fads of the 1970s!

Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
All of them could (even I17), and for many reasons. Most modern vehicles are equipped for faster speeds now ... even the cars with V4 engines can accelerate to a higher speed in less time than 20+ years ago. I've heard the tired out argument that Phoenix is an urban area, and should have lower speed limits ... however, the fact that our weather is clear much of the time and our freeways are in generally good condition contributes to fewer traffic issues compared to cities back east. It's actually safer to drive fast on the freeways (so long as conditions allow for it) than slow. The 55 MPH speed limits are obsolete, and should have gone the way of gasohol, pet rocks, disco, streaking, and other bad fads of the 1970s!
I do know for the southern portions of I-17 and SR 51, the shoulder widths are substandard, and SR 143 is probably too short for a 70 mph limit. It doesn't matter what vehicles are rated for; speed limits have to be supported by an engineering and safety study (no matter if it is an increase or a decrease), not determined politically or by decree to suit someone's preference. Going with blanket speed limit increases without any study is seriously flawed as proven by South Dakota's recent botched 80 mph blanket increase, requiring I-90 west of Rapid City to be quickly lowered back to 75 mph due to safety concerns.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:07 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Here in Arizona that is unlikely to happen even in rural areas due to the state's 85+ criminal speeding law, which the state's lawmakers refuse to change. There needs to be at least a 10 mph buffer between the posted speed limit and the criminal speeding threshold.

Note that the southern portions of I-17 and SR 51, as well as SR 143 are posted at 55 mph, and going straight to 70 mph would be a huge increase. I do believe the reason for the lower speed limits on these freeways is due to substandard design (I-17 I think was grandfathered into the Interstate Highway System and would not qualify for an Interstate designation if it were built the same way today).
As you wisely referenced, criminal speeding is:
When a driver exceeds 85 mph anywhere in the state
When a driver exceeds 35 mph while near a school crossing
When a driver exceeds a posted speed limit by 20 mph in a business or residential area
When a driver exceeds 45 mph when no speed is posted in a business or residential area

This doesn't give much of a buffer for those driving I-10 west toward California, since the speed limit is all the way up at 75 mph. If the speed limits on Valley freeways were raised above 65, surely the incidence of criminal speeding would increase too.

I personally could consider support raising some 55 mph areas to 65 mph, but I don't see much benefit in going from 65 to 70, and I think 75 is too fast for a freeway with so many on and off ramps and stop-and-go driving. I see too many multi-car / rear-end collisions as it is.

Old 12-15-2015, 12:13 PM

It seems that those advocating for a blanket increase of all Phoenix area freeways to 70 mph or higher just want it to suit their tastes, not factoring any engineering or safety standards. I have very good reasons for my picks since they are among the better engineered freeways in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area