Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 09:27 AM

247 posts, read 511,199 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone had any insight as to how the job market for RNs was in the Gilbert area. My husband and I currently live in Northern Virginia but my parents live out in Maricopa. We were considering the possibility of moving out there once my husband finishes nursing school (next May). At that point, I will have three years' experience as a NICU nurse, and he will be a new grad.

I've been looking at neighborhoods; Gilbert appears to have a good school district.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight as to the job market for RNs, for experienced nurses and new grads. Also, would the area be considered family-friendly? We're hoping to start a family once we are established.

Finally, what is the culture like... specifically, re: politics (liberal vs. conservative). I know AZ is generally more conservative, which I did find when I have visited my parents in Maricopa, but I'm wondering if the Phoenix area is any different.

Thank you!
SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:56 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,501 times
I have several nurses in the family and they have never had issues finding jobs. BSN will have ten fold more success than an RN. Check into Dignity Health, they have hospitals in Gilbert and Chandler as well as several clinics. Val Vista and the 202 in Gilbert is a gigantic medical district full of places to check into. There is a newer, large VA medical center there too that is currently hiring.

Gilbert leans conservative, but it is not the "in your face" kind of conservative you find elsewhere. People are generally pleasant and polite.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:10 PM

247 posts, read 511,199 times
Thanks! Yes, I have my BSN. I appreciate the insight.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,694,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
Thanks! Yes, I have my BSN. I appreciate the insight.
the bsn is nice for you, but not required with experience - a new grad adn from out-of-state has an extremely slim chance of landing a job in a hospital. Further, we graduate about 1,800 rn's a year in az, many of them in the phoenix area & most of them in May, so the board of nursing gets buried & the market for new-grads is not good. This year, as of a week ago - the first available nclex testing date is the second week of july (as i'm sure you know, no nclex, no license).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area