Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 10:17 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,963,080 times

Advertisements

I guess they couldn't recruit phone sales people for only $14 an hour in Utah.

These places have high turnover, but because the valley is so saturated it is easy to find staff as they bounce from company to company.

These types of businesses are a dime a dozen and don't last long. In the tech industry "search engine optimization" sales are snake oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 AM

2,295 posts, read 3,097,887 times
A bunch of jobs paying below the average in Maricopa County is not that much to get excited about. Yet another call center doesn't do much to detract from the stereotype of Phoenix as the place for these types of jobs. I'll get excited when a Google or Apple decides they actually want to stay here and make a commitment to the community and support 500+ high-paying tech sector jobs. Or if Boeing or Intel or General Dynamics or ON Semiconductor add a significant number of jobs (Intel is cutting employees as they "change their strategic direction", actually).

Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 AM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Roughly ten years ago Arizona was on top of the world with the fastest population and job growth in the US. This was a time when one out of every five new jobs in the country was being created here. Since then, a series of self-inflicted wounds and unforced errors have driven us toward the bottom. Now, we get excited when some crap call center opens in our toniest town.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:04 AM

13,931 posts, read 8,110,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Those jobs also don't typically require any formal education. 60K is not bad for a person without a college degree.
Right and if the spouse earns say 30K a year they can have a nice life here.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:28 PM

594 posts, read 700,688 times
Default Thanks for posting this good news

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Right and if the spouse earns say 30K a year they can have a nice life here.
First these type of jobs, next those type of jobs.

PLEASE keep posting these job opportunities, I absolutely love these negative people getting uncomfortable for we all know, one man's junk is another man's treasure !

Old 07-16-2016, 03:53 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
First these type of jobs, next those type of jobs.

PLEASE keep posting these job opportunities, I absolutely love these negative people getting uncomfortable for we all know, one man's junk is another man's treasure !
Uncomfortable? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but low income jobs are already the norm here and nothing to celebrate.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:12 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,194,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Uncomfortable? Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but low income jobs are already the norm here and nothing to celebrate.
This. We may as well celebrate a new Walmart, Fry's or McDonald's opening, as those are top employers Numbers 2, 3 and 4 respectively in the state. Higher positions may pay well at those companies, but most people won't be well off at any of them.

I wouldn't call this company a big win, because it seems to be more of the same, and the wages listed aren't stellar. For the most part it seems this will be yet another call center. I make significantly more than that listed wage at my job, but could be doing much better in other cities, even with a higher cost of living. It would be nice if Phoenix could attract jobs that aren't typically outsourced to India. However, I don't see that changing in the near future.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,727,493 times
It explains the rude drivers. People barely scraping by and that stress translates to a lack of courtesy on the highway. Because they cannot afford toys they overcompensate for a lack of financial control by being idiots who cut you off without turn signals. Now they have pokemon go to make the highways more dicey.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:24 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
This. We may as well celebrate a new Walmart, Fry's or McDonald's opening, as those are top employers Numbers 2, 3 and 4 respectively in the state. Higher positions may pay well at those companies, but most people won't be well off at any of them.

I wouldn't call this company a big win, because it seems to be more of the same, and the wages listed aren't stellar. For the most part it seems this will be yet another call center. I make significantly more than that listed wage at my job, but could be doing much better in other cities, even with a higher cost of living. It would be nice if Phoenix could attract jobs that aren't typically outsourced to India. However, I don't see that changing in the near future.
While yes I share the sentiment that Phoenix should and could attract more high quality employment, some people fit the call center profile. There's nothing wrong with that either, its a full time job, pays enough to survive, usually has decent insurance, pays better than Restaurant or Grocery Store work, and is good for students in Community College.

Not everybody in this world works in high end industry, and that's fine, this post is for them.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,194,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
While yes I share the sentiment that Phoenix should and could attract more high quality employment, some people fit the call center profile. There's nothing wrong with that either, its a full time job, pays enough to survive, usually has insurance, pays better than Restaurant or Grocery Store work, and is good for students in Community College.

Not everybody in this world works in high end industry, and that's fine, this post is for them.
I'm not saying that, I'm saying that Phoenix needs to stop acting like a banana republic and diversify more. Let's say in the off-chance Phoenix lands a few very large international banks, such as Deutsche Bank, HSBC and Bank of China. All three would bring a fairly large share of white collar jobs, but would also need lower-level, low-skill jobs as well. My company has high and low too, but I don't work in one of those lower positions. Sometimes we have vacant positions for months because we just can't find qualified people to fill them. If Phoenix continues to attract these kinds of jobs, it's going to continue to attract the kinds of peopled needed to fill them. Maybe that comes off as judgmental, but oh well. Educated, skilled people are going to be hesitant to live here (and bring their money with them) if they can't find work doing what they want to do. For my line of work there are few opportunities in Phoenix for people who do it, and the majority of people here aren't qualified to either. For starters, it requires a college degree, and I recently read that Phoenix is bottom of the barrel in that category, ranking 66th among metro areas in college education. If this town wants those people to move here, it needs to incentivize them to do so, meaning give them work they'll do. This whole lazy idea of waiting for companies to close shop in one state and move here is neither productive nor practical. This states needs to be much more aggressive about making changes to bring in prosperity, but that seems to require too much effort and generally Arizona seems to like the easy way, even if it means nothing gets done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area