Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Block homes often have no insulation at all except roof. Block is a lousy insulator. Newer homes are much, much better insulated because energy standards are now enforced in the building codes.

The condo rows in Sun City are reasonably cheap to cool, though, as they have common walls, small windows, and low ceilings. Newer homes tend to have huge window areas and higher ceilings which are not energy friendly.
On paper this is true, the issue with block homes, but my experience has been that the stick and chicken wire homes of 2005-2010 were thrown up so quickly that they are not only inadequately insulated, but heavy in gaps, cheap Windows, inefficient AC set ups etc. making for an often higher electricity bill.

If you can find a block home with sunken windows, a porch, a flat white roof or insulated attic, and lower ceilings, hard flooring, you'll have a cheap house to cool and keep cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 08:57 AM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzatlarge View Post
I've been looking at listings of Sun City homes (single family and townhouses/condos) on realtor.com, among other research.

It seems that every home in SC of any type pays an annual "main" Sun City HOA fee of just under $500. Then, the condo/townhome/duplex/row house type properties, have a separate HOA with monthly fees. Those will vary from HOA to HOA so you have to check each one specifically.

But AFAIK, single family homes in Sun City only have that annual "main" Sun City HOA fee, as they aren't in any other "subgroup" HOAs.

As noted, the individual HOA fees will cover, generally speaking, external maintenance such as grounds, roofs, paint, and I think garbage pickup. Depending on the HOA it may cover more than that but never assume anything, always get the specific info.

The "main" SC HOA annual fee is what gets you admitted to the recreational facilities.

The above is what I *think* I know. If I'm incorrect, I hope someone will correct me. Thanks!
This is what I seen when I was looking as well. I did run across one house (can't remember if it was SC or SCW) that did have an additional HOA because it was part of some kind of special group, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, single family homes will only have the rec center fee - no HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area