Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM

13,817 posts, read 8,046,023 times

Advertisements

If any landlords or renters can recommend the company they use for renters liability insurance that would be great.

My property management recommends a company out of Ohio (Great American E&S Insurance) but when I call them for information I can't get a return call.

I'm hoping to find a company which will provide say 100 grand in liability insurance covering fire, smoke, water damage and pet damage. The current policy runs $9.50 a month.

I realize tenants can obtain their own renters liability insurance but I would like to have a company on file should I need to purchase such insurance on behalf of the tenants.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 09:15 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,970,568 times
I've used Assurant through Geico on such occasion. Rates were approx 15-25/month, 100k in liability, flood, damage, the works.

You never know what a tenant can accomplish.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 AM

Do you recall what your tenants were paying per month for Assurant's renters liability insurance?

Old 08-30-2016, 09:24 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,369,220 times
I used Geico/Travelers in the past and they were dirt cheap and the policy language seemed pretty solid in terms of coverage. I believe many insurers offer this stuff so you could start off by just calling whomever writes your auto policy.

The above mentioned 15-25 a month sounds pretty accurate for an apartment.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 AM

O.K. I'll give Geico a call. Thanks

Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM

I spoke with Geico and they can provide renters liability insurance.

If the tenants decided they would like me to arrange for the liability insurance but pay the monthly premium the liability insurance policy would be in my name.

However, if I were to file a claim with Geico renters liability insurance this would also would adversely affect the State Farm homeowners coverage I have been using for many years.

Or is this incorrect

Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM

I spoke with State Farm which handles my homeowner insurance including renting the home.

The State Farm rep. explained if I provide my renters with liability insurance through Geico and filed a claim State Farm (which periodically checks the history of the property) might adjust my premiums depending on the number of claims filed outside of State Farm.

However, they wouldn't cancel my State Farm policy and any premium hike would depend on the number of claims filed.

In other words State Farm would monitor the activity but filing with Geico wouldn't affect my SF policy too much unless claims were repeatedly filed against the property.

So, now I will try and find out exactly how much coverage renters liability insurance (though Geico) actually provides.

I don't allow renters to use the fireplace (which should reduce smoke concerns) and the kitchen stoves are eclectic. Now, I've yet to have water damage caused by a bathtub overflowing but there's always a first time.

Damage to the carpet and property by a pet is handy to have.

Last edited by john3232; 08-30-2016 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,949,966 times
recently switched to state farm because of a teenage driver, they included renters insurance for my teen daughter and it cost her a couple bucks but dropped her car insurance 50 a month so check for multiple discounts

Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,970,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I spoke with State Farm which handles my homeowner insurance including renting the home.

The State Farm rep. explained if I provide my renters with liability insurance through Geico and filed a claim State Farm (which periodically checks the history of the property) might adjust my premiums depending on the number of claims filed outside of State Farm.

However, they wouldn't cancel my State Farm policy and any premium hike would depend on the number of claims filed.

In other words State Farm would monitor the activity but filing with Geico wouldn't affect my SF policy too much unless claims were repeatedly filed against the property.

So, now I will try and find out exactly how much coverage renters liability insurance (though Geico) actually provides.

I don't allow renters to use the fireplace (which should reduce smoke concerns) and the kitchen stoves are eclectic. Now, I've yet to have water damage caused by a bathtub overflowing but there's always a first time.

Damage to the carpet and property by a pet is handy to have.
One perk of having multiple and concurrent, although differing in type and scope, insurance policies on a home, is that when the inevitable tenant causes some problem and you get sued, the suing party has two insurance policies to pull from. This is good for 2 reasons. The first is that your insurer's can work out the nitty gritty details with each other, and the second is that if the suing party is legitimately injured, they will have some policy limits to work with to get them back to square one.

When you get the Renter's insurance you should be able to select how much liability coverage you want (what I would be primarily concerned about), I have 100k on all my rentals, that's more than enough to supplement whatever half plan the Renter came up with, and covers my rear end if they let their policy lapse or whatever.

The reason I chose Geico for Renters was, as autism360 points out above, I use them for my autos. They charged me approx 15/month per house, but my auto rates fell further than the Rental Insurance increased giving me a win/win, so I'd contact your auto insurer so see if they will offer something similar. Or just switch and run both policies.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM

I called Geico and was told a renters liability policy has to be held in the tenants name.

I can't sign up and then have the tenants reimburse me for the premium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area