Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 02:19 PM

64 posts, read 186,398 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to locate any recent articles or blogs that contain any ranking of country clubs in the PHX area. In the City-Data Charlotte, NC forum there was an informative thread about the golf resorts/CCs in the Charlotte area..

It included info such as which ones were private/semi-private (how difficult to join), initiation fees/monthly dues, amenities, family oriented, golf or social oriented. It was really helpful for a prospective resident looking to narrow choices of which club that may suit them best. Anything like that here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 02:53 PM

197 posts, read 271,217 times
If you want to stay central to Phoenix, Phoenix CC, Arizona CC and Paradise Valley CC are great.

If you want North Scottsdale, there are several world class places. Desert Mountain, Estancia, Mirabel, DC Ranch, SilverLeaf, and Whisper Rock.

Bob Parsens of GoDaddy bought Scottsdale National and just opened up a second 18 hole course plus what is considered the best 9 hole course called "The Bad Little Nine". I believe it's $100,000 initiation and $3,000/month dues.

Nothing spectacular on the west side.

If you have kids, I'd join Arizona Country Club and buy a home in the Arcadia area/district.

Old 12-26-2016, 03:21 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Of course you are going to get more opinion than fact since it is hard to rate Country Clubs. Some will be opulent (and cost like it) others will be bare bones (maybe golf and fitness). Cost will be a factor as well as whether it is private or semi-private or just a golf course.

And of course there are close to 200 in the Phoenix area so you will have a lot to choose from.

Here are a couple of articles:

The Best Arizona Country Clubs

Experience Scottsdale Golf | The World's Finest Golf Destination

Arizona Golf - Phoenix Golf Courses, Scottsdale Golf Courses - Alphabetical Listing

Phoenix/Scottsdale Golf: Phoenix/Scottsdale golf courses, ratings and reviews | Golf Advisor

Old 12-29-2016, 02:32 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,091 times
Agree with AZ JoeD. For Scottsdale, Troon Country Club (private, different than Troon North), Desert Mountain, Desert Highlands, Estancia, Whisper Rock (golf only, not a CC), Silverleaf, DC Ranch Country Club.

Here's a good link in terms of general cost of membership, minimums, monthly fees, etc.

Scottsdale Private Golf Courses | Arizona Golf

Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,469,704 times
PVCC is the best country club in my opinion.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 PM

640 posts, read 956,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
I'm trying to locate any recent articles or blogs that contain any ranking of country clubs in the PHX area. In the City-Data Charlotte, NC forum there was an informative thread about the golf resorts/CCs in the Charlotte area..

It included info such as which ones were private/semi-private (how difficult to join), initiation fees/monthly dues, amenities, family oriented, golf or social oriented. It was really helpful for a prospective resident looking to narrow choices of which club that may suit them best. Anything like that here??
This is a pretty specialized topic. Especially here in the Phoenix area where you have 200+ courses, and many top tier public options, you may not see as much written about the private clubs. You will be better off asking the question here: Southwest - GolfWRX

Old 12-30-2016, 01:22 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
This is such an interesting topic because there are so many variables. There are Country Clubs, private and semi-private where you do not need to be a resident, just a member such as the Biltmore, Blackstone or Paradise Valley. Then there are communities with country clubs where you must be a resident and purchase an equity membership like Desert Highlands or Pinnacle Country Club. Others where equity memberships are not required (but available) with residency and monthly dues that are required, like Desert Mountain.

Also budget and location are big considerations. Some communities have large capital improvement fees (not tied to the membership), still others have large buy in for membership not tied to the home(s) or community. Still others no buy in but high monthly dues.

There are almost as many business models as there are clubs.

The OP asked for "Country Clubs", not necessarily Country Club Communities so there are a lot of choices.

To Pontoon2012, you need to be more specific with your needs and wants.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:05 PM

thanks! those articles are some what I'm searching for...

Old 12-31-2016, 02:08 PM

Thanks for the article!

Old 12-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Ok, we are looking for an active social club where there is an opportunity to make new friends (think a fairly welcoming club and not overly cliquish). My wife does not play golf but I do.... we have adult children who do not live with us and so we would prefer couples who are not tied down to their young children's activities.but we are not old.. I'm mid 50's and my wife is mid 40's....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area