Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:38 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times

Advertisements

Sure there are plenty of bites, stings, etc. If you have your house sprayed, i.e. pest control, you shouldn't have an issue.

Scorpions are a whole different subject...you may have them, you may not. I lived here for 22 years before seeing/living in a home that had scorpions. Some see them sooner, some never have.

Snakes are a much more rare occurrence. Unless you have acreage or are out hiking somewhere, you most likely won't see any snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow2522 View Post
as for the black widows and recluse spiders, have there been many incidences where residents are bitten or have there been any fatalities? I guess the same question goes for snake bites or scorpion stings. Is there an online database that I can view regarding accidents that occur with these animals or insects?
You need to STOP worrying so much about this. You are not the first one to do this, though. As indicated, if you keep a clean house and use appropriate pest control if you find it's necessary, you will be fine. Snake bites are NOT going to be a problem in Gilbert. Snake bites are only a concern if you are out hiking in areas where they live at times when they are active, and are not paying attention. Recluse spiders are more of a problem elsewhere than here, I've never heard of anyone dying of a black widow bite or scorpion sting. Black widows are not aggressive, if you uncover one of their webs (which you won't have if you keep inside and outside areas clean, especially corners) they will run AWAY from you. I don't think there's any data on numbers of stings/bites as many people don't seek treatment.

You need to worry a lot more about whether Gilbert, AZ will be the right place for you. You have NEVER been here? As I said, come visit in the summer, see how you handle the heat for a week or more. Actually look at neighborhoods with your own eyes, not through the lens of some realty website.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 PM

525 posts, read 539,651 times
I live in Gilbert and have lived in the Valley since 1978. There really is no bad neighborhood in Gilbert, but you will need to up your budget unless you are willing to buy a foreclosure. We live within walking distance of a Mormon church and not once has a Mormon knocked on our door. Gilbert has many Evangelical Christians and Mormons and thus the city is conservative. If that is a big concern, than Gilbert isn't the place for you. I would also research specific neighborhoods in Gilbert. Some are near the airport or the train which can be noisy. You won't see snakes, but you will see scorpions. Having said all that, I love Gilbert. One of the safest cities to live in the nation, a variety of schools to choose from, homeschool friendly, surrounded by shopping and restaurants and very family friendly. Honestly, it will be completely different from Chicago, so be prepared for change.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 PM

551 posts, read 693,618 times
Question for OP: why specifically Gilbert (since it sounds like your jobs are not area-specific and you will be homeschooling the kids?)

Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't closely follow the RE market in Gilbert anymore, but isn't the OP's budget of $185,000-300,000 a bit low for a home big enough for five, a dog and a pool?
Yeah that sound more like Maricopa or Goodyear prices.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
More dangers with a pool than with scorpions and/or spiders. Kids drown in pools here when parents get distracted and /or there is no pool fence. With kids like yours, I would not have a back yard pool, but that's just me.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:00 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
More dangers with a pool than with scorpions and/or spiders. Kids drown in pools here when parents get distracted and /or there is no pool fence. With kids like yours, I would not have a back yard pool, but that's just me.
That's a good point. I googled it and couldn't find the last time anyone died from a spider bite (let me know if anyone finds the answer) and with scorpions I want to say it's been about 50 years since anyone died in Arizona although people do occasionally die in other places (Texas, I think). As far as snakes, the last Arizona snakebite death I could find was an elderly hiker in 2007, and in the whole country I think there was only one snakebite death in 2016.

Pool deaths, though, are more common and in the summer it seems like there are near-drownings or drownings on TV news "all the time." There were 56 drowning deaths in Maricopa County in 2014 according to the latest data year could find. For children aged 0-4 there were 36 "life threatening incidents" and 12 deaths.

So, they're all extremely unlikely to happen to you, but of those common scary threats that you hear about, the pool is the one to be most concerned with, I'd say. Just be sure you have a pool fence and don't let your kids inside the pool area without you supervising them, just like you'd do at a lake or pool back home.

Here is an old C-D post with more info on not-so-scary critters.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:31 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
Long term Gilbert resident here.

Within a mile of my house there is a Natural Grocers and a Sprouts. I prefer sprouts for organic produce. The Gilbert Farmers market is every Saturday (except for the hottest summer months) and you can get almost any naturally grown produce and it is all local and organic. Agritopia has a 24 hour honor system for their vegetables. I have lemons, limes and peaches growing in my backyard along with an herb garden. Growing citrus here is idiot proof, I have to work for the peaches.

3 homes in Gilbert in my lifetime, I have never seen a scorpion in any of them. I did see a black widow last summer, but it was my fault for not keeping up on spraying. I sprayed outside and haven't seen one since. Avoid living near canals.

I have never had mormon missionaries ring my doorbell. I will occasionally get Jehovah Witnesses trying to stop by though, just don't answer the door.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:45 PM

7 posts, read 33,364 times
After reading all the replies and talking with some AZ people, we decided it's not for us.
These are my reasons:
Having to spray poison inside and outside, not knowing the harm those chemicals are doing.
Not being able to enjoy the pool because the water gets unbearably hot.
Thanks to everyone who left a comment.

Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Pool water never gets "unbearably hot". With aeration the water stays refreshing all summer. Sorry you got bad info but good luck wherever you end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area