Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM

1,951 posts, read 2,298,854 times

Advertisements

I am not from Michigan but I lived in Omaha.....ooops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:27 PM

129 posts, read 187,126 times
I am a Snowbird in Sun City for 6 months. Then we go back to Minnesota for the other 6.
That seemed ideal to me, but I really miss my family, when I'm in AZ. I do have a brother and his wife, that live in AZ, but they live out in the sticks, a hundred miles from us. We don't go home for the Minnesota holidays. Too much of a hassle, I guess. Last spring, when we got back, my dear brother, who lives near my hometown, passed away suddenly. I couldn't help but think that I wished that we would have had more time together, before he died.
Well, anyway, the cold, gloomy Minnesota winters aren't so bad, when you've got family to visit and things to do. The nice AZ winters are great. It's like a whole nother world. The sunshine in early fall and late spring can be overbearing, tho. I'm so eager to return to our Minnesota family and our yardwork. I have cacti, flowering shrubs and citrus, on our yard, down in AZ. They are enjoyable and beautiful, as well. I do plan to spend more time with my family from now on. Family time is precious to me.
I will say that I love both MN and AZ equally. I love Lake Superior and all of the State Parks. I love the dry warmth, the Grand Canyon and the gorgeous cacti flowers with beautiful sunsets. I love em both the same. But my family trumps both.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie84 View Post
I lived in Phoenix for 4 years.I adored Phoenix and all the art the rocks and sunsets. And the Indian green jade jewelry that seemed popular then. I loved it...but moved with my husband to Michigan...I cried about Michigan but I learned to love Michigan...for 30 years I lived in Michigan with family. Michigan to this day has a place in my heart for the nicest down to earth people...more home body people in Michigan. Lake Michigan is such a perfect lake with waves & Lake Michigan to me was always a small secret ocean. I always wanted to return to Phoenix. Raising a family I just never got the opportunity. But I know our kids got a much better education in Michigan then Phoenix so it was a good move for us. When I was pre kids...living in Phoenix it did get hot!! Just like they say...but to me I loved it because there are pools and a/c. I at times missed the snow...to cool off! Phoenix has a different vibe to it then Michigan. A southwest culture just like in the photos.
(My personal experiences are that the people in Michigan seem more intelligent.)
Growing up in northern Michigan we would spend almost our entire summer vacations on the lakes, it was a simple life but we could always keep ourselves entertained and not be bored.

You're right, Phoenix is a much different environment in so many ways compared to Michigan especially the smaller towns back there.

I'm not so sure about the intelligence part. Stupidity isn't always limited to geographical boundaries including horrible grammar like anyways, but it's overlooked and considered perfectly fine.

I know there is less of an emphasis on public education here based on how low Arizona ranks in per-pupil funding. Our state legislature is notorious for cutting and slashing school spending which would be unheard of in other states.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:29 AM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
I moved from NW IL to Phoenix area 7 years ago. I love it here! I didn't know a soul when I moved and left behind dear friends, so that aspect has been difficult, but I don't regret the move. I lived in the Midwest my entire life up that point. I was so miserable in all seasons due to the moisture/humidity/rain/snow. And the skies in that area were overcast about 75% of the time, according to something I once read, and it sure seemed that way to me. Back in the Midwest, weather was always a factor in making plans---will it snow/rain etc? I love the sunshine here! there's almost nothing other than heat index that interferes with plans. I know I can get up and be able to go anywhere almost any time, with ease.

Snow shoveling was one of my least favorite activities and mowing ranked 2nd. I have a pleasant yard with a tree, some shrubs, some decorative grasses, and I use it almost year-round, with little maintenance. (although there definitely is some)When it gets so hot I miss being outside, but if you are either a very late night person or early morning one, those are the times when it is still pleasant. In IL in the winter, I remained inside most of the time. Here, in the summer months, I remain indoors, too, most of the time, but I still have the glorious sunshine!

I remember sitting inside watching the snow fall---and, yes, it was pretty. But it was treacherous and difficult to drive in. I don't miss the severe thunderstorms or flooding, the tornados, or the frigid winters. I do miss the fall foliage, the feeling when autumn was in the air and the temperatures were crisper and it became sweater weather......but not enough to make me want to return! I remember the misery of trying to be outside and getting chewed up by numerous kinds of insects---here, we have few pests like that. (we do, however, have scorpions!) It's so "freeing" to be able to be outside and never worry about bugs!

Another thing to remember is that it really does depend on what part of Az you live in---up north you do get seasonal changes, more greenery, and even snowfall. Parts of that area seem more "like home" to me, with the downtowns and buildings and trees. In the valley you will see endless stucco, for the most part, although there are older areas that offer more diversity in housing. it's really great to travel on well-maintained highways, though, with no potholes! And I love the mountains and have grown to cherish the arid landscape. When I go back to the Midwest, now, it sometimes feels like the trees are closing in on me and I miss the open sky.

As far as cost comparison, air conditioning is expensive, but no more so than heating costs were in the Midwest. The cost of living, for me, is much cheaper here, but IL is an expensive state to live in. (My property taxes are 1/3 what they were for a comparable house). It is a different lifestyle, and it does take some time to get used to it. Summer/fall was our busy season for sports, games, craft fairs and outdoor activities. As another poster mentioned, many folks tend to stay inside here during the summer, unless they have a pool. Anyway, I love it here! I wouldn't move back. Come and check it out---plan to stay for a while in different times of the year, and see what you think, and good luck with your decision!

Old 07-10-2017, 10:17 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artangel View Post
I moved from NW IL to Phoenix area 7 years ago. I love it here! I didn't know a soul when I moved and left behind dear friends, so that aspect has been difficult, but I don't regret the move. I lived in the Midwest my entire life up that point. I was so miserable in all seasons due to the moisture/humidity/rain/snow. And the skies in that area were overcast about 75% of the time, according to something I once read, and it sure seemed that way to me. Back in the Midwest, weather was always a factor in making plans---will it snow/rain etc? I love the sunshine here! there's almost nothing other than heat index that interferes with plans. I know I can get up and be able to go anywhere almost any time, with ease.
IL averages close to 60% sunshine year round. Winter is gloomier, naturally, but still close to 50% most months. November is typically the cloudiest, with only 40% sun, but the summer makes up for it, with many places in IL receiving 75% sunshine, which brings the average up slightly. I think the only places in the USA that get only 25% sun on average are Seattle and Portland. Most places in the Upper Midwest are generally sunnier than many places in the "sunbelt" (Minneapolis comes to mind), contrary to popular belief. IIRC, there are places in Kansas that break into the top 10 sunniest places in the US list (outside of the major cities list).

Old 07-10-2017, 09:11 PM

46 posts, read 38,967 times
Just moved to AZ from Michigan. Only been here a couple weeks, but loving it! Even though we moved in the hottest part of the year, we feel that this heat is much more tolerable than the freezing MI winters! We are so happy we made the decision to leave the cold, snow and ice behind. Obviously, we just got here, but it's feeling great to us so far!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:02 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
IL averages close to 60% sunshine year round. Winter is gloomier, naturally, but still close to 50% most months. November is typically the cloudiest, with only 40% sun, but the summer makes up for it, with many places in IL receiving 75% sunshine, which brings the average up slightly. I think the only places in the USA that get only 25% sun on average are Seattle and Portland. Most places in the Upper Midwest are generally sunnier than many places in the "sunbelt" (Minneapolis comes to mind), contrary to popular belief. IIRC, there are places in Kansas that break into the top 10 sunniest places in the US list (outside of the major cities list).
I'm not sure where you got these stats, Seattle averages close to 50% sunshine like IL does. And I don't see many upper Midwest cities at the top of the sunny city lists.

I don't personally find that having a super sunny summer makes up for months of dreary weather but I'm a desert dweller at heart though.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/sunniest-cities/

Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM

812 posts, read 795,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHunter View Post
Just moved to AZ from Michigan. Only been here a couple weeks, but loving it! Even though we moved in the hottest part of the year, we feel that this heat is much more tolerable than the freezing MI winters! We are so happy we made the decision to leave the cold, snow and ice behind. Obviously, we just got here, but it's feeling great to us so far!
Haha, yes, when we first moved from MI it took several months just to fully thaw out.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
If I had a dollar every time newbies said that (and another dollar when they left years later) I could retire. Heck, I could rival Bill Gate's income.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:14 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If I had a dollar every time newbies said that (and another dollar when they left years later) I could retire. Heck, I could rival Bill Gate's income.
It's unfortunate... but true, Cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area