Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 05:20 PM

27 posts, read 43,496 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating to the Phoenix area and I would love to hear feedback from ONLY Michigan residents or former residents that have lived or currently live in the metro area. Concerns are do you get sick of the sun and heat and the landscape. If you're not from Michigan please do not reply. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
No. I did get sick of the cold and the gray in MI though. If those don't bother you, you may not want to move here.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Should be a short list

Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Should be a short list
There are tons of ex-mitten dwellers in AZ.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Im sick of the gray overcast days especially in winter. Im sick of the lack of sunshine no matter what season. Today for example....no sun this morning....sun came out for a few hours and now its overcast again. The cold I can tolerate but I'm sick of driving in snow and lack of sunshine. This winter I swear we went two months without seeing the sun. SAD is something I'm pretty sure affects me. I loved fall and even that anymore I dont care for because I know what comes after. I've thought about moving to the Phoenix area even before it was the cool spot to move too.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:58 AM

812 posts, read 795,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
Concerns are do you get sick of the sun and heat and the landscape. If you're not from Michigan please do not reply. Thanks!
Yes.

You picked a really bad week to ask this question though... Forecast

We lived in the valley for our first 10 years in AZ. Now we live north of there in Yavapai County. We are still getting a really hot week, but it is at least 10-20 degrees less than Phoenix, depending on where you live.

The clouds and cold in MI didn't bother me much, but my DH hated the cloudy, overcast days. We both disliked the humidity. AZ is much drier and so the heat is more tolerable. However, once you start getting up over about 102, it is just plain hot!

If you don't need to live in the Phoenix metro for work, you could explore other parts of AZ that are a bit more moderate. The thing is, Phoenix is bad in the summer, but really the rest of the year kind of makes up for it I think.

I sometimes miss the woods in MI, but we wouldn't move back, except maybe to northern MI. That presents it own problems though since we are approaching retirement age and dealing with snow and ice can be dangerous.

Have you visited Phoenix yet? If not, that would be a good start. It is a nice city if you are into city living. If you come here and like it during the summer, you should be fine. :-)

Old 06-18-2017, 02:53 PM

I haven't visited yet. I spent a week in Vegas at the end of July/beginning of August a few years ago and loved it!!!! I didn't want to come back.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:01 PM

675 posts, read 1,415,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2819 View Post
If you're not from Michigan please do not reply. Thanks!
Why would you not want input from anyone else? What if someone was from Ohio, but very very close to Michigan? Would that be acceptable?

Old 06-18-2017, 05:17 PM

Yes that would be great!! I was on a one track mind and I guess I should've listed the Midwest not Michigan. Im looking for opions from anyone coming from similar climates/lifestyles. This is my first post so Im still getting acclimated to how this works.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:38 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,240,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Why would you not want input from anyone else? What if someone was from Ohio, but very very close to Michigan? Would that be acceptable?
Thought the same thing. Because I certainly have some input. However, from the opposite view.
I lived in Phoenix for over 40 years. And I now reside in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, because of the heat and the incessant sunshine. Couldn't wait to get out of there. Careful what ya wish for. That green grass you see from 1800 miles away, isn't always as green as it may appear. Too much of anything, including sunshine, can get boring. I'm not saying -10 is fun by any stretch, but for me, the variation of weather/temperatures works much better than that long hot summer. And this 118 nonsense is just ridiculous.
But hey, if it works for you, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area