Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 12:30 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about the neighborhood on Maryland between Central and 3rd Ave? Good? Bad? Meh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:02 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Does anyone know anything about the neighborhood on Maryland between Central and 3rd Ave? Good? Bad? Meh?
I live only a mile from there (at least until Saturday, before I move Downtown), and it is a good neighborhood. If it suits you, go for it. Anything between the 7's (St and Ave) is good to great from Jackson St (downtown) up to Butler Dr (southern boundary of Sunnyslope neighborhood)

Old 10-09-2017, 07:04 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Very good area.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,980,447 times
Nice area for sure. I always enjoy that area when I travel up Central because its so green. From there up to Northern reminds me of the Midwest... greenery, big lots, older brick homes, different styles of housing, etc...

Old 10-09-2017, 11:42 AM

640 posts, read 959,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Nice area for sure. I always enjoy that area when I travel up Central because its so green. From there up to Northern reminds me of the Midwest... greenery, big lots, older brick homes, different styles of housing, etc...
I remember the first time I cruised up Central after living here for a few years and couldn't believe I was still in Phoenix. Loved it then and still love that area today.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:35 PM

2,292 posts, read 3,094,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I live only a mile from there (at least until Saturday, before I move Downtown), and it is a good neighborhood. If it suits you, go for it. Anything between the 7's (St and Ave) is good to great from Jackson St (downtown) up to Butler Dr (southern boundary of Sunnyslope neighborhood)
I second that. I live about a mile from there as well and can vouch for it's awesomeness.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:24 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,456,856 times
One of my favorite parts of the city...WISH I could afford a house there!!

Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,628,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
One of my favorite parts of the city...WISH I could afford a house there!!
LOL, so do I. I've seen some ads for several older rental condos in that area with reasonable (to me) pricing, deposits and pet policies. I couldn't remember if it was Maryland, Maryvale, or some other M street that was supposed to be a not so hot area. Thanks all! Now if I can just get the danged realtors with the assorted listings to call me back

Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
LOL, so do I. I've seen some ads for several older rental condos in that area with reasonable (to me) pricing, deposits and pet policies. I couldn't remember if it was Maryland, Maryvale, or some other M street that was supposed to be a not so hot area. Thanks all! Now if I can just get the danged realtors with the assorted listings to call me back
Maryvale is the bad area, there is a street running through it called Maryvale Pkwy, near the ballpark where the Brewers have Spring training.

Overall, the rough boundaries of Maryvale are Camelback on the north, I-17 on the east, I-10 on the south, and 83rd Ave to the west. Most of the city west of 83rd Ave is newer development, though still zoned to Maryvale's Trevor Browne High School. It is pretty much the worst part of the city now, right up there with South Phoenix (Salt River to Baseline Rd between 48th St and 19th Ave)

Old 10-10-2017, 03:12 AM

202 posts, read 220,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Maryvale is the bad area, there is a street running through it called Maryvale Pkwy, near the ballpark where the Brewers have Spring training.

Overall, the rough boundaries of Maryvale are Camelback on the north, I-17 on the east, I-10 on the south, and 83rd Ave to the west. Most of the city west of 83rd Ave is newer development, though still zoned to Maryvale's Trevor Browne High School. It is pretty much the worst part of the city now, right up there with South Phoenix (Salt River to Baseline Rd between 48th St and 19th Ave)
That area is not considered Maryvale. OP is referring to Maryland and 3rd Ave in Central Phoenix area. Those are two different places. Typically, a lot of the nicer historical neighborhoods are in between Central and 3rd, assuming you aren't south of Downtown, so I think it's a good place. The Maryland area neighborhood isn't historical, but you'll find well maintained older homes, with nice green lawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: