Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 05:26 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,713,486 times

Advertisements

Frustrated at the role of big money in politics, Arizona U.S. Senator John McCain co-authored the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, or the McCain-Feingold Act, which regulated the financing of political campaigns. Now, another old lion of Arizona politics – former state attorney general and Phoenix mayor Terry Goddard – is picking up the baton...

“Dirty money has done damage to the Arizona political system and dampened the voice of the people for far too long,” Goddard wrote on social media before a November 29 press conference at the state Capitol.

By Mike O'Neil
Phoenix Magazine
http://www.phoenixmag.com/valley-new...uary-2018.html

(Scroll down to "Act of Goddard")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 PM

640 posts, read 958,038 times
I didn’t click the link and read the story. What’s Goddard planning? Is he getting back into the media spotlight to run for office again this year?

Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,745,327 times
He is doing a petition drive to get an initiative on the ballot that would require some transparency around dark money.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:46 PM

784 posts, read 923,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Frustrated at the role of big money in politics, Arizona U.S. Senator John McCain co-authored the 2002 Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act, or the McCain-Feingold Act, which regulated the financing of political campaigns. Now, another old lion of Arizona politics – former state attorney general and Phoenix mayor Terry Goddard – is picking up the baton...

“Dirty money has done damage to the Arizona political system and dampened the voice of the people for far too long,” Goddard wrote on social media before a November 29 press conference at the state Capitol.

By Mike O'Neil
Phoenix Magazine
http://www.phoenixmag.com/valley-new...uary-2018.html

(Scroll down to "Act of Goddard")
Your concern about big money is politics is admirable but interesting enough I didn't see any complaints from you over Obama spending records amounts of money or when Hillary spent nearly 1 billion dollars....maybe I missed it.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Only a dope would make this a partisan issue.

Transparency in donations is something we should all want.

Gray money PACs do not serve the people or the peoples interest - regardless if they stuffing bills into the right or left pocket

Last edited by Finger Laker; 02-05-2018 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Only a dope would make this a partisan issue.

Transparency in donations is something we should all want.

Gray money PACs do not serve the people or the peoples interest - regardless if they stuffing bills into the right or left pocket
Democrats have made it a partisan issue, I am just asking the question as to why if someone is so concerned about it they never raise the flag when the biggest offender is their own candidates.

I would love to most of the money taken out of campaigns...I would vote for it...but I can guarantee you that democrats would refuse it....it was not a coincidence that Obama was the first presidential candidate in our history to turn down matching funds....after first vowing to accept them.

Heres my plan......

Stop all Super PACs.....
Stop all public sector unions from using our own tax dollars to fund campaigns.....50% of the money comes from tax paying republicans but 90+ go to democrat candidates.....
Stop all business's from funding
Tax all campaign spending at a minimum 50%

Any takers for this plan...its pretty simple..oh and include term limits.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Democrats have made it a partisan issue, I am just asking the question as to why if someone is so concerned about it they never raise the flag when the biggest offender is their own candidates.

I would love to most of the money taken out of campaigns...I would vote for it...but I can guarantee you that democrats would refuse it....it was not a coincidence that Obama was the first presidential candidate in our history to turn down matching funds....after first vowing to accept them.

Heres my plan......

Stop all Super PACs.....
Stop all public sector unions from using our own tax dollars to fund campaigns.....50% of the money comes from tax paying republicans but 90+ go to democrat candidates.....
Stop all business's from funding
Tax all campaign spending at a minimum 50%

Any takers for this plan...its pretty simple..oh and include term limits.
That’s dandy and all but this is about State politics.

Your post would be great for POC

Old 02-05-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
That’s dandy and all but this is about State politics.

Your post would be great for POC
Great post except you seem to not know that most of the money coming into places like Arizona come from outside the state......

Old 02-05-2018, 08:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
Democrats didn't make it a partisan issue.

Finger pointing to the other side isn't a solution.

This seems to be am issue where people on both sides say they don't like the cash, but the political entities have no desire to stop it.

There is an obscene amount of money from out of state and that is a problem.

There is a ton of money influencing posts for positions that aren't partisan - that is a problem.

Stay focused on the problem and not the noise. Everyone is guilty. Accept it. Move forward. Fix it.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Democrats didn't make it a partisan issue.
Sure they did....by demonizing the other side for raising money to try and match the dems all the while dems setting records for campaigns........the single biggest individual contributing to political causes the last 20 years isn't a republican.....but yet not one peep from democrats about that...why is that?

Anyone else notice that I'm the only poster who actually presented any solutions that we should look at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area