Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 06:18 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times

Advertisements

I've heard (and I know what that means ) that in some outlying parts of Phoenix, there is a concern about large birds of prey that (might) carry away smaller dogs.

Interested in any feedback on this. BS? Happened to you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I've heard (and I know what that means ) that in some outlying parts of Phoenix, there is a concern about large birds of prey that (might) carry away smaller dogs.

It hasn't happened to me, but Arizona has hawks and owls -- and even eagles -- which are all large birds of prey which could swoop down and carry off smaller animals such as field mice, prairie dogs, gophers, rabbits, other smaller birds, and perhaps even small dogs and cats!

The potential is there for almost anywhere, but which normally occurs in "outlying" areas. Protect your smaller pets as much as you're able to.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:05 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
It hasn't happened to me either, but where we live, in the foothill areas around West Wing, I read all sorts of posts on Nextdoor about people who have had their small dogs taken, or attempts from large Owls/Eagles/Hawks to swoop down and lift small dogs away.

We have a cockapoo, around 25lbs, so I am not that concerned about bird attacks since lifting up a dog that size would be a problem for almost any bird, but am definitely cautious about them in the fall/winter, when its dark in the am when we walk the dog.

I'm more concerned about coyotes and rattle snakes this time of year..

Old 05-27-2018, 09:04 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
An owl went after my little dog (15lbs) earlier this year while we were standing in the back yard. The owl swooped in low, but my border collie recognized what was happening and went after the owl. He jumped and almost got the owl mid-air. The owl flew off. It was a small owl too, not nearly big enough to haul the dog off. My dog probably looked like a rabbit to it.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:34 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,192 times
No personal experience, but based on the empty-of-any-meat-or-bone piles of morning dove feathers I occasionally find in my yard, as well as the general size and description (small/white) of almost every dog on my vet's missing animal board, I would say it's possible (along with coyotes).

Old 05-28-2018, 09:30 AM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
I remember years ago the news was reporting about a chihuahua name Taco the found mutilated in a families backyard. They were going on and on how some Satanist sacrificed the dog unfortunately it was just a bird of pretending that topped the dog apart.

We've had owls follow us in the the middle of Tempe stalking our dog whiles walking at night. Also sometimes you can see hawks circling above residential areas.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:35 PM

277 posts, read 276,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post

It would need to be a very very big owel and a very tiny dog

Old 05-28-2018, 03:42 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
SIL in Canada grain country farm had the problem. Would start to lose barn cats of which she had a dozen or so. Would stake out the farm yard with her shotgun. Never actually got a shot at one though she believes she saw it a couple of times.

She thinks it was only the smaller ones that were in danger...less than 5 or 6 lbs. Never lost a big one.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:48 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Much ado about nothing...We had a very small owl dive bomb our two miniature schnauzers while walking at night on several occasions. We've also had non birds of prey do this to our dogs. They were not attacking the dogs but someone who is sensitive to this stuff could easily spin it into a story about how their dogs were attacked by a HUGE owl.

Similar to coyotes and dogs in yards, it is a non issue. Has it happened? Sure it has but with MILLIONS of pets in the valley it is VERY rare and nothing to concern yourself with.

Old 05-28-2018, 04:23 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Much ado about nothing...We had a very small owl dive bomb our two miniature schnauzers while walking at night on several occasions. We've also had non birds of prey do this to our dogs. They were not attacking the dogs but someone who is sensitive to this stuff could easily spin it into a story about how their dogs were attacked by a HUGE owl.

Similar to coyotes and dogs in yards, it is a non issue. Has it happened? Sure it has but with MILLIONS of pets in the valley it is VERY rare and nothing to concern yourself with.
That’s bad advice. It only takes one occurrence to cause a family a lot of grief. Birds of prey have taken small dogs and coyotes in yards are fairly frequent where I live. It’s not really something to take a lackadaisical attitude toward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area