Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:48 PM

310 posts, read 447,063 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of retiring early and moving to Arizona. What are the health insurance premiums for people who are just living off their savings until Medicare takes over? Can anyone give me some examples? Not sure how Arizona does this. Thank you in advance .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 01:19 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,026 times
Obama's flagship program fixed everything. No, not really. And the top reason I don't reside in the US, at mid 50s. I will give you a ballpark figure of 1000 for both of you..per month, with a 3500 deductible..and some will be higher. You might find that a low earned income will get you much bigger subsidies than none at all. I do believe Medicaid is asset based. There are some good STM policies, but that ius for six months, and not sure if you can string them together, but it is much cheaper than Blue Cross. Kind of strange how the well known Lefties get so quiet, when hard numbers are requested.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:36 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,618,169 times
I'm 60, I get my insurance via the healthcare market place. My monthly premium is $998, but my deductible is only $1850. I have a silver plan with Ambetter, the only provider in AZ for the marketplace. A client has coverage for himself and his wife, he's 60 and she's 59, thru BCBS and their premium for both of them is $3,200 a month.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Obama's flagship program fixed everything. No, not really. And the top reason I don't reside in the US, at mid 50s. I will give you a ballpark figure of 1000 for both of you..per month, with a 3500 deductible..and some will be higher. You might find that a low earned income will get you much bigger subsidies than none at all. I do believe Medicaid is asset based. There are some good STM policies, but that ius for six months, and not sure if you can string them together, but it is much cheaper than Blue Cross. Kind of strange how the well known Lefties get so quiet, when hard numbers are requested.
It varies by market. My rates in NM were considerably less (under $500), plus I had more companies to choose from. For some reason most of AZ only has one provider in the marketplace, so of course they can charge what they want.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:41 AM

May I ask what you would have paid with a higher deductible? Thanks for providing facts. Brutal.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:07 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
We are thinking of retiring early and moving to Arizona. What are the health insurance premiums for people who are just living off their savings until Medicare takes over? Can anyone give me some examples? Not sure how Arizona does this. Thank you in advance .
Have you considered something like MediShare? Our Unaffordable Care Act cost was about $1900/mo (Washington state) but MediShare is about $350/mo.

I see someone posted $3200/mo in Zona for the unaffordable care act policy....whoa. OP, you need to plug your situation into the calculator if you want an accurate number, your income might considerably lower that amount through a subsidy.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Have you considered something like MediShare? Our Unaffordable Care Act cost was about $1900/mo (Washington state) but MediShare is about $350/mo.

I see someone posted $3200/mo in Zona for the unaffordable care act policy....whoa. OP, you need to plug your situation into the calculator if you want an accurate number, your income might considerably lower that amount through a subsidy.
But I think it is a doughnut type thing, based on earned income. At 12000 per year, as a single, it could be very reasonable..at zero, you get nothing....they stated living off savings, so their income is from savings and investments.

I go through www.insubuy.com and insure with Tokio Marine, formerly Houston Casualty...I pay 105 per month with a million in coverage, and a 250 deductible. Would not cover cancer, but does cover lots of stuff. Cancer drugs are maybe 95% less in India, than the US. There are Americans here in Thailand getting HIV treatment drugs for 150 bucks for a three month supply. Perhaps, 200 per week in the US.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:57 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,969 times
I am Medicare, but pay through the nose for coverage for my wife and 24 year old son. Bare bones ACA bronze policies with 6500 dollar deductibles. BCBS is our only provider. Total cost for the two is just a tick under 1K dollars. I could buy a second home for that money.
Wife just had emergency abdominal surgery. I am dreading the bills.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post

The client makes too much for a subsidy (as in, 6 figures). He's 60, wife is either 58 or 59. They are the only two on the plan, no kids. I think they live in Gila County, and BCBS is the only provider in that county. I do not know the details of their coverage (deductible, etc). My rate is for Maricopa County, where Ambetter is the only provider thru the Marketplace. There was very little difference in premium costs for me on all 3 level plans - all were $900+ a month. What varied was the subsidy amount (if eligible), deductible, and of course co-pay costs.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
But I think it is a doughnut type thing, based on earned income. At 12000 per year, as a single, it could be very reasonable..at zero, you get nothing....they stated living off savings, so their income is from savings and investments.

I go through www.insubuy.com and insure with Tokio Marine, formerly Houston Casualty...I pay 105 per month with a million in coverage, and a 250 deductible. Would not cover cancer, but does cover lots of stuff. Cancer drugs are maybe 95% less in India, than the US. There are Americans here in Thailand getting HIV treatment drugs for 150 bucks for a three month supply. Perhaps, 200 per week in the US.
At $12,000 a year, I believe you would be required to sign up for Medicaid and would not be eligible for coverage+subsidy in the Marketplace. If you obtain marketplace coverage and receive a subsidy, if your income is too low on your tax return, you can be penalized for using the marketplace coverage instead of medicaid coverage. The income level for this will vary by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area