Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,727,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This ^^^^

It takes a certain kind of person to want to own one of these houses. You aren't always allowed to update them to add modern conveniences and often times they are just a pain to live in and upkeep.

It's kind of funny though, people are often restricted in what they can do to one of these historic properties, but are they given any incentive to keep them looking a certain way? This one doesn't look all that special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:15 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Not everything is worth saving. Given that it's a house built elsewhere and sent here, maybe someone who wants to save this house can move it and do the same. It's not tied to this piece of land, or probably even in Arizona. It wouldn't surprise me if it was built back East somewhere.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:37 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
It takes a certain kind of person to want to own one of these houses. You aren't always allowed to update them to add modern conveniences and often times they are just a pain to live in and upkeep.

It's kind of funny though, people are often restricted in what they can do to one of these historic properties, but are they given any incentive to keep them looking a certain way? This one doesn't look all that special.
In my world, once you register your Sears home with the National Register, you need to be "all in"; NO exceptions! To get the full monty, it should be illegal to use traditional toilet paper. People who appreciate history know this:
"Americans soon grew accustomed to wiping with the Sears Roebuck catalog, and they saw no need to spend money on something that came in the mail for free." source: Toilet Paper History: How America Convinced the World to Wipe | Mental Floss

For years, there was a serious problem because Sears stopped distributing their iconic books. As luck would have it, in 2017, the wish book is back! read https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...181753741.html

The bottom line is the National Register should enforce the rich history of the Sears wishbooks wiping their way into the homes of early Phoenicians.

I also cried when the last Phoenix KMart's was destroyed. Grab a bag of popcorn folks and watch this incredible video. Long live the blue light special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjsX8ZwMFM

Old 08-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
In my world, once you register your Sears home with the National Register, you need to be "all in"; NO exceptions! To get the full monty, it should be illegal to use traditional toilet paper. People who appreciate history know this:
"Americans soon grew accustomed to wiping with the Sears Roebuck catalog, and they saw no need to spend money on something that came in the mail for free." source: Toilet Paper History: How America Convinced the World to Wipe | Mental Floss

For years, there was a serious problem because Sears stopped distributing their iconic books. As luck would have it, in 2017, the wish book is back! read https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...181753741.html

The bottom line is the National Register should enforce the rich history of the Sears wishbooks wiping their way into the homes of early Phoenicians.

I also cried when the last Phoenix KMart's was destroyed. Grab a bag of popcorn folks and watch this incredible video. Long live the blue light special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYjsX8ZwMFM

Holy Crap, this thread has taken a weird turn.

But I agree, all in or all out!

Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
There are plenty of people that would want to live there, sell it if you don't want to preserve a historical property.

If they let this guy demolish this house could you imagine the people buying prime real estate and doing the same to build ugly McMansions.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
There are plenty of people that would want to live there, sell it if you don't want to preserve a historical property.

If they let this guy demolish this house could you imagine the people buying prime real estate and doing the same to build ugly McMansions.

Why is the argument always "McMansions?" What if he just wants a good size house with decent modern amenities?

To me, the real question should be: how the heck did this become a historic site in the first place?

Old 08-15-2018, 06:35 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Why is the argument always "McMansions?" What if he just wants a good size house with decent modern amenities?

To me, the real question should be: how the heck did this become a historic site in the first place?
Agreed. It's a cheap DIY kit. Here is a house worth saving. https://realestate.savingplaces.org/...frank-furness/ Or maybe this one https://realestate.savingplaces.org/...an-romanesque/ Not some POS DIY kit house.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 AM

848 posts, read 967,940 times
Quote:
I get really tired of hearing the McMansion thing too. Not everyone wants a postage stamp. Some people grew up on a postage stamp in the ghetto and want to live somewhere nice and in something that has some space. What, do people want every development to be all custom houses? Does anyone know how the hell much that would cost? Hint: not a few thousand, or even tens of thousands. WAY more.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:32 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
I'm not privy to this word, McMansion.

I googled for definition... and it seems to be a pejorative.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I get really tired of hearing the McMansion thing too. Not everyone wants a postage stamp. Some people grew up on a postage stamp in the ghetto and want to live somewhere nice and in something that has some space. What, do people want every development to be all custom houses? Does anyone know how the hell much that would cost? Hint: not a few thousand, or even tens of thousands. WAY more.
You can live in a nice home without going full blown McMansion. The reason it is an insult is because they are all show and no quality. If you want faux columns, laminate flooring (including the junk that is now labeled "hardwood" floors that are actually just veneered plywood crap), faux stone veneer, etc. the go for it; it is your money, spend it however you want. Nothing will change the fact that it is cheap HGTV garbage deserving of the title McMansion though.

There are custom home developments that don't cost much more than your typical McMansion subdivisions. Look at 67th to 75th/83rd and 101 to Happy Valley, the entire area is full of these poor quality junk homes (McMansions) that are worth about as much as the actual good quality homes to their east (not all of them but if you know the area then you know which ones I'm referring to.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area