Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 PM

294 posts, read 219,782 times

Advertisements

I have had hundreds of their pizzas when I grew up in and later visited Chicago. Over 25 years ago they briefly had a Ginos in Tempe on Southern west of McClintock. The Tempe location made a great pizza but it closed after a year or two. The newest Phoenix location made a TERRIBLE pizza, I ate there once and that was it, not even close to the real thing. Not surprised at all it closed. And their idiotic mandatory valet parking did not help either. Lou Malnatis makes a vastly superior pizza and I have been back there many times. Lou's is opening more locations here and I hope there will soon be one in the East Valley so I can eat there more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 07:52 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
I went Gino's East once. My pizza was good but the customer service was lackluster. Ordered my pizza ahead of time and went to pick-up. They weren't busy yet the kids working couldn't understand that I had already ordered and was picking up my order. I did not have to valet park.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 PM

294 posts, read 219,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I went Gino's East once. My pizza was good but the customer service was lackluster. Ordered my pizza ahead of time and went to pick-up. They weren't busy yet the kids working couldn't understand that I had already ordered and was picking up my order. I did not have to valet park.
Being from Chicago my standards on pizza are probably different from most other people and especially when it comes to Ginos. If you had a properly made Ginos pizza you would know what I am talking about.
I went there shortly after they opened and there was no parking in the attached lot it was all valet. I had to park in the residential area just north of there. I hope they wised up about that BS and allowed self parking in the lot. I do not like anyone having access to my vehicle and never use valet parking. I agree about the poor service, it was shocking how dense all the employees were that waited on my party. I am not too demanding when it comes to service but this time it was seriously lacking. Have a Lou's pizza and discover what great pizza is.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Agree; we were excited when we saw the Gino's open here, and, we went once, and took it home, and it was just fair; a couple of months later, we tried one more time and it was even worse, so glad they are leaving, and when we want that style of pizza, its Lou'M; sometimes, Oreganos will do, and even Giordanos is ok at times...but that Gino's was garbage, and its easy to see why they are closing it..

Old 10-20-2018, 10:05 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Agree; we were excited when we saw the Gino's open here, and, we went once, and took it home, and it was just fair; a couple of months later, we tried one more time and it was even worse, so glad they are leaving, and when we want that style of pizza, its Lou'M; sometimes, Oreganos will do, and even Giordanos is ok at times...but that Gino's was garbage, and its easy to see why they are closing it..
You bought a pizza at a restaurant in Arcadia and took it home to the Northwest Valley? I can't imagine anybody's pizza being any good after a trip like that.

“Let me explain something, deep-dish pizza is not only not better than New York pizza. It’s not pizza, It’s a f***ing casserole!”

-John Stewart

Old 10-20-2018, 11:30 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,613,074 times
Pizza's pizza.

It ALL tastes the same.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,636,014 times
Not exactly, it's all based on the ingredients, toppings, duration of cooking, how it's cooked, type of crust, etc.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,920,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You bought a pizza at a restaurant in Arcadia and took it home to the Northwest Valley? I can't imagine anybody's pizza being any good after a trip like that.

“Let me explain something, deep-dish pizza is not only not better than New York pizza. It’s not pizza, It’s a f***ing casserole!”

-John Stewart
couldnt care less what John Stewart says about anything, including Pizza

and, BTW, after eating at Ginos dozens of times in chicago, including getting it to go, I know what its SUPPOSED to taste like, and the Gino's here was NOT delivering on what they are supposed to be..

Old 10-21-2018, 08:26 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
Being from Chicago my standards on pizza are probably different from most other people and especially when it comes to Ginos. If you had a properly made Ginos pizza you would know what I am talking about.
I went there shortly after they opened and there was no parking in the attached lot it was all valet. I had to park in the residential area just north of there. I hope they wised up about that BS and allowed self parking in the lot. I do not like anyone having access to my vehicle and never use valet parking. I agree about the poor service, it was shocking how dense all the employees were that waited on my party. I am not too demanding when it comes to service but this time it was seriously lacking. Have a Lou's pizza and discover what great pizza is.

I lived in the Chicago area for a decade. I've been to all the deep dish joints. My preference is Giordano's. The pie I had at the Gino's East in Phoenix was still good. Consistency is an issue they may have struggled with in Phoenix.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:38 PM

939 posts, read 2,380,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I lived in the Chicago area for a decade. I've been to all the deep dish joints. My preference is Giordano's. The pie I had at the Gino's East in Phoenix was still good. Consistency is an issue they may have struggled with in Phoenix.
Still live in Chicago, and while I order from a local place at home, of the big names in Chicago I like Giordano's best. I don't get the Lou's love. And while we're in AZ I'm a fan of Barro's. But admit I haven't tried that many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area