Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 PM

58 posts, read 147,207 times

Advertisements

We have two pugs and want to re-locate to Anthem ASAP. How do dogs handle the summer heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,629 times
Water and shade are critical if the dogs will be staying outdoors, a fan might be nice too. Also, make sure you don't have any plants that can make your dogs sick.

Here's a short article about landscaping for your pets, including some plants to avoid having in your yard.

Make your yard pet-friendly | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/athome/118269 - broken link)

Old 04-05-2008, 07:17 AM

58 posts, read 147,207 times
Thanks for the info. I guess it is mandatory to have a yard with grass as well. The "rock" yards in the summer must get pretty hot!

Old 04-05-2008, 07:34 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I have an evaporative cooler on the patio. It's a shop cooler that you can get at Home Depot. It cools the air 20-30 degrees. The dogs sometimes sit near it - I always do - when outside. My big dog lies in the water on the top pool step but the little one is too small and even the first step is too deep for her. I also put out a plastic kiddie play pool and they love to sit in that but they make a mess of it. You can buy these in bone shapes with steps and drains, but I have cheapo from Walmart.

Dogs do well in the heat (as do humans) as long as they have shade and water. I am frequently surprised to see them laying out in full sun on the grass in the middle of a hot summer day. Dogs accept things as they are, I guess. They don't whine and complain and wish they could move to Maine for the summer like we do.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-05-2008 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-05-2008, 08:14 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
This could be lethal to a pug. This breed's safety zone probably only goes up to 80 degrees. Keep 'em inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Dogs do well in the heat (as do humans) as long as they have shade and water. I am frequently surprised to see them laying out in full sun on the grass in the middle of a hot summer day.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times
A pug should be inside during the heat of the day. A dog's heat tolerance is very much breed-dependent (a Rhodesian Ridgeback would do OK; a Newfoundland would not!). It's not like people---breeds were formed to fill specific roles in different parts of the world.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
A pug should be inside during the heat of the day. A dog's heat tolerance is very much breed-dependent (a Rhodesian Ridgeback would do OK; a Newfoundland would not!). It's not like people---breeds were formed to fill specific roles in different parts of the world.
That's true. I've had one of more of German Shepherds, Australian Shepherds, Labs, Spaniels, and Dachshunds. They all could take the heat. MIL has a Bichon that spends the days outside under a covered patio.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBaroo View Post
Water and shade are critical if the dogs will be staying outdoors, a fan might be nice too. Also, make sure you don't have any plants that can make your dogs sick.

Here's a short article about landscaping for your pets, including some plants to avoid having in your yard.

Make your yard pet-friendly | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/athome/118269 - broken link)
I could be wrong but I was under the impression that fans don't help dogs because dogs don't sweat and hence do not cool by evaporation from the skin as we do. They have fans on the dairy cows here, but water is injected into the fan making an evap cooler. It's funny to see the cows all crowded in front of the fans in summer.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:23 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
Our 20 lb. German spits regularly lays in the sun on the patio brick. He has the choice of shade three feet away but likes the sun/heat. Sometime goes to sleep. On very hot days he will periodically go over and sit on the top step of the pool which half submerges him.

It is a little cooler in Vegas but not much at the top of summer.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,381 times
Pugs do not tolerate the heat well at all. You would have to keep them indoors all summer and be very careful about how long you take them outside in our Arizona heat. I have min pins and they do well in the heat- they LOVE to lay in the sun but I do not let them stay out very long in our summer sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area