Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:48 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You could have determined if homeowners have board seats prior to purchasing. The point is, buyers are able to do their due diligence and decide if it’s a fit before purchasing. No one is forced to buy into a particular HOA. Complaining after the fact only means one failed to do adequate research.

My fees have gone up once in six years, from $99 a quarter to $120. I made sure that increases weren’t commonplace and that homeowners were in charge before purchasing.
That's a silly (absolute) statement by someone you doesn't like to lose in a debate.

There are all kinds of reasons why HOA's might increase over inflation rates. Boards may vote to add amenities like guards or gates or another pool in the common area etc. The cost of water in greener neighborhoods might go up too. Let's not forget fraud as a reason why HOA's go up in price. All the research in the world may not be good enough if you get a new group of people on the board. OBVIOUSLY it helps to research ahead of time. So if you really want to mitigate your risks even more, volunteer to be on the board. I wouldn't want to be on the board because that's bad ROI with my time.

With that said and in LBTRS's case, research could have helped. Developers on the HOA's boards are notorious for subsidizing the HOA amount when you hood is young. They have to. Often, boards will artificially keep them low to absorb the costs to attract more price sensitive buyers. High HOA's are a poison pill for resale values. Builders who buy land won't do so if the HOA's are high because that will slow down new sales. Therefore often I've learned HOA's will keep HOA increases in check by not doing maintenance.

In our situation, the developers (DMB) put in 1/4" rock because it looks better. Considering there are 18 parks, there is a crap-pot of rock. Think several million dollars worth of it. That small rock washes off and more easily settles in the soil. I would never have known that in 2011 when everything looked great. Google "1/4" AZ rock run off with rain" will come up empty in your search. Now they switched to 1/2" rock and changing it out one park at a time over the next few years. My view is just charge me whatever it takes to make it right ($1000 per house is the number). But others don't want to sign-up for a one time charge so we are where we are.

I'm not bitching about the HOA costs. Rather, I'd like to see them go up and maintain it to perfection and is a key reason why I am looking to leave the area. If I pay triple what I pay right now, I honestly don't care so long as I get what I pay for. My complaint is the board trying to keep the HOA too low. Even a new owner board (finally in place over the past year) won't raise the measly $134 a month fee for the massive amount of jewelry we enjoy. Hence, I'm studying to move to an area with thicker wallets. Still, there is no such thing as a perfect spot just like there is no perfect partner. Research only reduces the risks and future complaints; it can never remove all of peoples grips.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 02-24-2019 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 03:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Peace and love here people....I definitely doing my research...but was just stating that the amounts seem a little excessive that all.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:11 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Is it just me or do the Condo fees here seem a little aggressive. Im used to paying HOA's as I had one when I was a homeowner.....But out here, they just see a little pricey..
Difficult to compare, because different HOAs include different items. They may or may not choose to include pest control, roof maintenance, etc.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:18 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
I'm thinking about buying a condo in the next few years so this thread is enlightening.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
We first ran into HOAs many years ago when we looked at a condo for sale. I did not like the idea of costs that would obviously increase as time went on that we had no control over and I did not make a purchase. This was in the 1970s and the costs of the HOA there went from just over $200 per month to over $500 a month for the same service level in that complex within 5 years so we are glad we did not buy there.
Since then I have had some experiences via our kids that live in HOAs and the mistakes they make.
I have seen them cite for weeds when the person complaining had more weeds than they did.
And in one case the HOA would not respond to messages left on the phone or emails my daughter sent after getting a letter telling her that her satellite dish could not be mounted to the block wall fence.
Fact is that it was the neighbors dish, not hers, and that is what she was trying to tell them. All they had to do was look at where the coax went but they were not that bright!.
Anyway, one day they sent a guy out and removed the dish from the fence and fine my daughter! The neighbor never got any notice and was furious when he lost his service.
My Son-in-Law drove over to the head of the HOA's house and told him to shove the fine up his a** as they had made repeated attempts to tell the them they had the wrong house.
When we first relocated with a new job for my wife from WA to AZ we brought our truck and 5th wheel trailer with us. While parked for two days at my daughter's home the police came to the door telling me that they had a complaint from the HOA. I asked them since when did the police get involved in enforcing HOA rules and they stumbled with a good reply. I also ask them if they had any rules city wise or county wise about parking an RV in the street. They told me no, they did not. But they told me they had a complaint from an HOA member. I told them they had no authority, that nobody was living in it and we would be leaving in the next few days. I also told them to tell the HOA member that complained to shove it!
HOAs can get OK I guess but again they are an ever growing expense that you cannot control. And people that get involved with enforcement tend to be busy bodies who think they are some kind of mini cops.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Is it just me or do the Condo fees here seem a little aggressive. Im used to paying HOA's as I had one when I was a homeowner.....But out here, they just see a little pricey..
I was going to start a new thread about HOAs but I noticed there were already several ones.

Pricey is an understatement. I never liked HOAs, for the most part you'll only pay high monthly fees for a Neighborhood Dictatorship, that's my opinion of them. Yes they do have some advantages but for the most part, they are problematic. I don't live in an HOA neighborhood and all the residents are good responsible home owners.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
If it were only that easy. I've not broke even yet since the crash. I would be stuck with a new and larger mortgage and little equity from this home.

Not to mention, all the other expenses that go with moving and purchasing a new home.

I'm looking to retire in 10 years and do not want to add a bunch of expenses or increases to my cost of living. We're going to be looking at 55+ communities once we turn 55 in 5 years.
It sounds like you're planning to retire at age 60. You could solve the financial issue of your real estate conundrum by just working a few more years - say, until you're age 65.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I was going to start a new thread about HOAs but I noticed there were already several ones.

Pricey is an understatement. I never liked HOAs, for the most part you'll only pay high monthly fees for a Neighborhood Dictatorship, that's my opinion of them. Yes they do have some advantages but for the most part, they are problematic. I don't live in an HOA neighborhood and all the residents are good responsible home owners.

And that's a CHANCE you take when you live in a non-HOA community. And when one of those good responsible home owners move, there's a chance the new owner could be a slob and have junk all around his house etc. It's a chance you seem willing to take, not me.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:50 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
And that's a CHANCE you take when you live in a non-HOA community. And when one of those good responsible home owners move, there's a chance the new owner could be a slob and have junk all around his house etc. It's a chance you seem willing to take, not me.
Where I live there are city health ordinances about things like "having junk all around your house." It may also be a code violation.

There is help for people who can't contain themselves.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 AM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times
Well you're in Scottsdale. Look around other areas and you'll see that's not the case for every city and county areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area