Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 PM

153 posts, read 135,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
No shame in that game. You guys tried it and it's not a fit for you. At least you know. I'm sure it is more than just the driving (which can be. crazy) that your family does not like. Phoenix is one of those places you either like or you don't. Desert living is certainly not for everyone. I wish you well in finding a place that's a better fit for your family.
I love the desert. Phoenix might take awhile to "like" if I stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 11:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
Absolutely not based on one person swerving for a cushion. I gotta wonder what kind of person would up and leave their home for something like that. In a 1 1/2 mile strip of 40 mph road near my home I've encountered 3 accidents in 2 months. Pretty sure one person was killed. One was T-boned, no skid marks and another was a collision that simply shouldn't have happened. I've had a few near misses and see lots of crap on the road. Almost pulled out in front of guy and a girl, missed them by a full 12-15 feet at 4 mph and they had a meltdown over it. I admit, I may not be a city person. Sometimes such is life. Oh, I'm giving Phoenix a 2nd chance. Not giving up yet. I may wait til I'm rear ended or t-boned at 50 mph with my family in the car.
Maybe check your own driving. I’ve never had these problems and I’ve commutes quite a bit for a very long time in this metro.

I think the traffic here is pretty tame compared to CA and NV.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:18 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,296,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairmaker13 View Post
Sure, swerve into a head on collision. Sorry I didn't make it clear in my original post, but the idiot that swerved almost hit us head on. He would have if I didn't "swerve"...lol. But, no, you are incorrect, if you can't tell what you are swerving from, then you aren't paying attention or cannot see correctly.
Wow! You must have better eyesight than me to be able to acertain, going 40 MPH (or more) whether the object in the road ahead is something that can potentially damage my car and cause a larger accident or is something completely harmless. No you CAN'T always tell EXACTLY what an object in the road is as you approach, especially if there is a car in front of you that you are watching, traffic in other lanes, sunglare, headlight glare at night, etc. I would be more concerned about the person who is focused so intently on the actual pavement than watching for all of the other things going on around them than someone who swerved to avoid a potentially dangerous piece of debris.

As someone who recently had to replace 3 expensive tires in less than 2 months time because of debris and potholes, I am going to swerve to miss hitting whatever it is, every time.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
I will say that Phoenix seems a little more stressful driving compared to D/FW where I moved from.

Not to mention having a crap ton of rock chips all over the front of my car a year after ownership and going through a 2nd aftermarket windshield tomorrow morning.

I commute on the 60 so I hate it. They designated it a safety corridor but there is zero enforcement, wrecks daily and
90% of the people passing you when you are driving 80 which is 15 over the limit.

Zero regard for other people in this city, problem is more people are moving here, rent's are going up and wages are stagnant. That on top of the ridiculous heat this will be my last year here. I moved here in 2016 and took me 3 years to become hateful of this place.

Every place has it's idiots but here it's near non stop when I commute, I understand it's because of all the people's driving habits from the numerous other states that move here so based on that will only get worse.

Only thing that kept me here are all the wonderful scenic trips that I still take to explore AZ. Only been to downtown once for a job interview and that was it, I avoid driving in the city on the weekends unless I have to and instead stay home or drive up north somewhere.

**Edit** Let me add that it was a ***** in D/FW to drive as well, but here seems more unique, I don't know how to explain it.

It's all a matter of personal perspective. I lived 20 years in Dallas and used to commute regularly from downtown to wherever I lived (Carrollton, Addison, Plano, Lakewood area, I moved a lot). It wasn't so bad then, there were alternate routes one could take if the (single) toll road or highways had a slowdown from a wreck. Now, however, the driving in Dallas sucks big time. I hate paying tolls to go everywhere and the surface streets are clogged thanks to the stupid tolls. I'll take AZ 101, 202, 303 and major surface street driving over the mess that Dallas' roads have become any day. Oh, and our freeways are just that - still FREE.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:29 PM

61 posts, read 48,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
It's all a matter of personal perspective. I lived 20 years in Dallas and used to commute regularly from downtown to wherever I lived (Carrollton, Addison, Plano, Lakewood area, I moved a lot). It wasn't so bad then, there were alternate routes one could take if the (single) toll road or highways had a slowdown from a wreck. Now, however, the driving in Dallas sucks big time. I hate paying tolls to go everywhere and the surface streets are clogged thanks to the stupid tolls. I'll take AZ 101, 202, 303 and major surface street driving over the mess that Dallas' roads have become any day. Oh, and our freeways are just that - still FREE.
Yeah I remember when I left in 2016 that they were building Toll Roads left and right. Good to know that it caused surface street traffic to spike, that will help me decide on whether to move back there or not, lol. I love the 202 and 303, 101 gets bad though, but I'm now remembering what it was like to drive on 75 and 635 years ago, along with I30 and I35W.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:14 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
OP, if the cushion catastrophe driver almost hit you head on then you must have been on a surface street, correct?
How about you stay in the right side lane until you're ready to turn left. Then you won't have to deal with "almost head on" accidents.
BTW, please don't go anywhere near 7th street in Phoenix where it changes lanes at different times of the day, you'd flip your gourd!
Always drive defensively and keep a Vulcan death grip on the steering wheel and you'll be fine.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 PM

153 posts, read 135,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Maybe check your own driving. I’ve never had these problems and I’ve commutes quite a bit for a very long time in this metro.

I think the traffic here is pretty tame compared to CA and NV.
My commuting is fine. Its the weekend and evening traffic when people seem the dumbest and meanest. Seems like all the best people are on the roads during commute times. Interestingly, in the past 6 weeks I've driven past at least 6 car accidents that just happened minutes before I went by. And not one had a pillow involved.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:29 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,384,067 times
I was hit by a driver from Montana, totaled my car while he was in Phoenix. He got a ticket and got to pay for my car and physical therapy. Phoenix is a melting pot of drivers from all over the US.

I travel a lot and drive in many cities. Overall I find Phoenix driving to be average compared to other cities. Bad accidents can happen anywhere. That is why you have to be vigilant.

When cars get smarter driving themselves the roads will be safer but perhaps more boring.

I love Phoenix after having lived abroad and across the US. I wonder where else you'll go to that you'll like better. Nothing beats Phoenix in my opinion, as a total package of convenience, safety, good weather, cost of living, and overall quality of life.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:31 AM

720 posts, read 734,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Right. Weird story too. Who uproots their family because the roads are scary?
I get it - I'm looking at the roads with a 17yo mind as my kid is learning how to drive - very scary - too many aggressive drivers - and everything moving fast any mistakes can be devastating/fatal - but luckily we always have good condition - weather; roads; people - can't say that about most other places in the country - don't miss driving through snow or treacherous rains; or old roads and completely congested; and angry and stressed out people!

OP why don't you move closer to work!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:56 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
I hope the OP never, and I mean never, drives in Texas or Florida. Way worse than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: