Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 03:04 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times

Advertisements

With the lane restriping on the US 60 Superstition Freeway Westbound in Tempe, ADOT has installed a type of signage that is new to Arizona - Arrow Per Lane (APL) signage. APL signage has been approved since the 2009 MUTCD, but has not been adopted by ADOT until recently.

I'm very surprised it took ADOT so long to approve APL signage, considering we have a lot of older drivers where it could be helpful.

However, ADOT still has not re-adopted the Clearview font despite the interim approval for the font being reinstated in March.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 03:09 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
With the lane restriping on the US 60 Superstition Freeway Westbound in Tempe, ADOT has installed a type of signage that is new to Arizona - Arrow Per Lane (APL) signage. APL signage has been approved since the 2009 MUTCD, but has not been adopted by ADOT until recently.

I'm very surprised it took ADOT so long to approve APL signage, considering we have a lot of older drivers where it could be helpful.

However, ADOT still has not re-adopted the Clearview font despite the interim approval for the font being reinstated in March.
It's not only ADOT. Most government is deathly s-l-o-w. Thanks for the update!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:13 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
This type like pictured in Salt Lake City?

Does ADOT have interstate shield pavement markings approved? These would be helpful also.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
This type like pictured in Salt Lake City?

Does ADOT have interstate shield pavement markings approved? These would be helpful also.
Yep, like the sign above.

ADOT does not paint route shields on pavement, however, ADOT does indicate the route and direction of each lane on the pavement painted in plain white text. My guess is that ADOT is probably concerned about color fade from the sun.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,968 times
Quote:

Does ADOT plan on re-adopting Clearview? Personally, I am not a big fan of Clearview and I find it refreshing that they've gone to FHWA series E.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Does ADOT plan on re-adopting Clearview? Personally, I am not a big fan of Clearview and I find it refreshing that they've gone to FHWA series E.
I am not aware of any official plans for ADOT to re-adopt Clearview.

I have no preference, although Clearview IMO has a more feminine look.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:36 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Good. There is daily a multi car accident right at that freeway crossing largely due to the fact that only one lane hits eastbound i10 while the remaining and the HOV go west. One lane means there’s a long line of cars dead stop in the left lane with cars whizzing by on both sides.

This might solve the part of the problem where people don’t realize the dead stop traffic lane is the one they need to be in, causing them to come to a stop in the travel lane and getting rear ended by unsuspected drivers.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Good. There is daily a multi car accident right at that freeway crossing largely due to the fact that only one lane hits eastbound i10 while the remaining and the HOV go west. One lane means there’s a long line of cars dead stop in the left lane with cars whizzing by on both sides.

This might solve the part of the problem where people don’t realize the dead stop traffic lane is the one they need to be in, causing them to come to a stop in the travel lane and getting rear ended by unsuspected drivers.
Actually, with the restriping, there are now two eastbound lanes. The new signage was installed to reflect that.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Quote:
Actually, with the restriping, there are now two eastbound lanes. The new signage was installed to reflect that.
Yes they did! I noticed this just the other day and was really relieved that they FINALLY made it two eastbound lanes in that onramp. Huge difference and should really help solve what used to be an almost daily traffic nightmare on that stretch of the 60.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:10 AM

126 posts, read 104,998 times
Couple pics of the new signs (from the ADOT Facebook page):

https://www.facebook.com/AZDOT/photo...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/AZDOT/photo...type=3&theater

I'm glad to see that ADOT is sticking with FHWA fonts on newer signs.

The biggest problem with US 60 going WB to I-10 is the left exit to I-10 EB. One day, ADOT will have to consider rebuilding this interchange so that US 60 WB to I-10 EB traffic exits on the right, and all the WB 60 to WB 10 traffic is on the left side. Either that or construct C/D lanes from east of Mill Ave to I-10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area