Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,227,084 times

Advertisements

I'm going to replace my problem sissoo tree with an orange tree and know nothing about them. I know Navel are good to eat but not so good for juicing and Valencia are good for juicing but not the best for eating. Anyone have a recommendation on a type of orange tree that is good for eating and juicing and the fruit can stay on the tree for a good amount of time?

I also know there is an Arizona Sweet but there are several varieties of those and don't know which is preferred.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Of the citrus trees we've grown, I'd highly recommend a Minneaola Tangelo for eating. For eating/texture they are amazing in flavor, very buttery almost in texture, and a nice balance of sweet with a bit of tart. The fruit can also remain on the tree for long periods of time.

Minneaola Tangelo: Whitfill Nursery Citrus trees

This article mentions the time frame the fruit(the Minneaola version) can remain on the tree:

Tangelo Trees for Sale

Old 03-18-2014, 11:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
My tangelo tree is very temperamental. Sometimes there's very little fruit, (never even close to the amount on the orange tree) tartness sometimes a bit on the high side.

My orange tree is an Arizona Sweet. Lots of fruit, I've been having fresh juice for weeks, and eating the whole fruit as well.

http://www.whitfillnursery.com/Arizo...e-69-1-19.html

Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 AM

Yeah, I want an orange tree. We buy tangelos at the grocery store and I've never been a fan. Do you know which variety of Arizona Sweet you have observer53? I've called several nurseries and they all say the Arizona Sweet is a juicer and doesn't make a good eating orange. What makes it not a good eating orange, any idea?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Yeah, I want an orange tree. We buy tangelos at the grocery store and I've never been a fan. Do you know which variety of Arizona Sweet you have observer53? I've called several nurseries and they all say the Arizona Sweet is a juicer and doesn't make a good eating orange. What makes it not a good eating orange, any idea?

They may think they (the oranges) aren't as large, they don't peel as easily as a navel (but they are not hard to peel like a Valencia) and there are a few seeds, so that's why everyone thinks navel when it comes to eating oranges. A lot of the navels I've eaten over the years don't have as much juice or flavor as the oranges on my own tree. The size of the oranges varies, but they are certainly on the small side compared to navels (which usually have REALLY thick peels, so they are not as big as they look). My oranges might be a bit larger if I was religious about feeding the tree (end of February, Memorial Day, Labor Day) as I should be. They get sweeter the longer they stay on the tree.

I'm not aware that there are different varieties of an Arizona Sweet-- if there are, I can't tell you which it is. My tree was a large mature tree in a big box when it was planted in 1986, and it's quite large now.

On their website, Whitfill describes them as good for peeling and for juicing, Valencias only for juicing as they are difficult to peel. I think the Arizona Sweet was developed in part to get a better eating orange, and still retain the good juicing quality (which a navel does not have).

If you want juicing AND eating, I think the Az Sweet is the way to go. JMO, of course.

Last edited by observer53; 03-18-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 PM

A paper published by the University of Arizona that talks about the different varieties of Arizona Sweets. The nurseries carry different varieties so looking for some first hand knowledge of what people enjoy. Thanks for the info.

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/az1001.pdf

Sweet Oranges
“Arizona Sweets,” refers to any one of a number
of sweet orange varieties. The sweet oranges are
good for both juice and eating fresh.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Interesting. I've emailed them to ask how I can tell for sure (if I can) which mine is. Based on those descriptions of the tree, the fruit and the season in the link you posted, I'd say mine is a Diller, more than likely (could be a Trovita, otherwise). I'll have to see if by chance there's any info tucked away on the original planting, but I doubt that it's still around.

EDIT: Got an answer back already, to call one of the Master Gardeners in the Phoenix office. Here's the number: 602-827-8201. I'll let you know what I find out, but they might be a resource for you as well.

Last edited by observer53; 03-18-2014 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 12:56 PM

Wow, that was quick...thanks and let me know what you find out.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:03 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
AZ Sweets are grafted onto either lemon stock or sour orange stock. Find out which one you're planning on buying what their root stock is. The sour orange stocks are the best tasting/juicing. Lemon stocks makes the trees grow faster and the fruit can be bittersweet.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:17 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
My tangelo tree is very temperamental. Sometimes there's very little fruit, (never even close to the amount on the orange tree) tartness sometimes a bit on the high side.
Is your tangelo tree on the younger side? Like ours which is younger, it does produce much more in alternate years but this article says that levels out as the tree matures. Also mentions having a pollinator somewhere in the vicinity.

The Desert Garden: Citrus Month: Minneola Tangelo

Make sure the fruit matures fully...otherwise, I found them to be very tart though taste buds of course vary. I have taste buds sensitive to sour and Minneola Tangelo's register very sweet off our tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area