Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 07:56 PM

115 posts, read 249,042 times

Advertisements

I am a female baby boomer starting over after a long term failed marriage . I have an opportunity to move there to Chandler and only know a few people.

Normally people get to meet other people through their kids or school activities or things like that but that won't be the case for me and I'm worried that I may have trouble fitting in there .

Where does someone go to make new friends? I am certainly not talking about a boyfriend, I'm just talking about meeting up with some people are having lunch once in a while , that kind of thing. I did see that Chandler has a senior center and I am an avid swimmer so maybe the gym would be a place to start ? Or I could volunteer somewhere? I am a registered nurse but I don't have a license in Arizona but I suppose I could volunteer in some capacity . Any ideas? I have a feeling that Chandler is more for family oriented younger people raising families and I'm worried .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 08:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Sun Lakes is probably where you want to be. Adjacent to Chandler on the South.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:15 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I'm a female boomer and the LAST place I'd want to be is Sun Lakes I prefer being in a group of mixed aged singles, not just old farts like me

OP, check out Meetup. There are quite a few singles groups in the Metro. There are groups for over 50, over 60, and groups with a mix of ages. Singles in Gilbert (they have events in Gilbert and Chandler) is having a mixer with two other Meetup singles groups this month:

https://www.meetup.com/Singlesingilb...nts/267306747/

You might also want to check out these Meetup groups:

https://www.meetup.com/CWSG2006/

https://www.meetup.com/having-fun-in-az/

There are a lot of Meetup groups in the metro, with all sorts of interests. Check 'em out!

Old 01-12-2020, 08:13 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
A co worker of mine met a lot of people through Meetup groups, so I second that recommendation. Now that I'm retired, I may try it myself. There are tons of volunteer opportunities in the east Valley, too.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:18 PM

115 posts, read 249,042 times
Thanks for the responses and the Meetup group ideas are great!

Old 01-13-2020, 06:55 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Yeah, try the Meetup groups and I believe there is a "Over 40 Single Friends" group here in Chandler that meets regularly...kind of a coffee/brunch group. If you are religious, the church groups are another place. Check out any classes you might be interested taking in the Chandler BreakTime. The Library hosts a couple of groups for Retirees as well.

While there are a lot of families in Chandler, there are a lot of Snowbirds and Retirees as well.

OTOH...and you have probably checked this out, but you may be able to easily transfer your Nursing license to AZ. The compact states recently expanded of maybe check with the nursing board to see what it would take to move it to AZ. May just have to take the NCLEX again?

Old 01-13-2020, 10:12 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
you may be able to easily transfer your Nursing license to AZ. The compact states recently expanded of maybe check with the nursing board to see what it would take to move it to AZ. May just have to take the NCLEX again?
My wife transferred her license from a compact state. She did not have to do any testing, but the process is not something I'd call easy. As I recall it took something like 4-6 months. The licensing office is often non-responsive. It's a long story, but at any rate I wouldn't recommend bothering unless one really needs the license.

Her experience is not an anomaly. She has several friends who transferred from the same state and all had to wait months. One was getting so desperate that she had to ask for an advance on her salary from the employer who had already given her a job offer. Thankfully, they agreed.

Old 01-13-2020, 01:28 PM

30,995 posts, read 22,045,160 times
I know a guy who circulated with a wine tasting group, on Facebook. It was a mixed group from 30s to 70. Looked like a fun group if that's your thing.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:02 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
Hi OP, welcome to Chandler and welcome to the C-D forum. I'm not clear if you're in Chandler already? I've been in Chandler for 28 years and divorced for the past 7. I live in the same house among a mixed bag of families, first time home buyers, empty nesters and retirees. I am friendly with my neighbors and feel comfortable. Love the area (Andersen Springs).

If you're thinking of volunteering there is a place that helped out my elderly neighbor called About Care.
This seemed like a really nice organization and it's geared toward giving support to seniors. They don't provide medical care, but it might be a fit for you with your RN background.
Not sure where the option to insert hyperlinks went to but it's: www.aboutcare.org

There are plenty of things to do here, it just depends on what your interests are.
Good luck!

Old 01-13-2020, 08:04 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
I really don’t think it’s a function of where you live but rather how you live your life!

You need to do things, get involved and live your life to the fullest and you will meet lots of people by default. You need to cross many paths and then hone in on the ones you feel would be the best suited for you. The ones that share your likes and are enjoyable ones to be around. As others have said, volunteering is a great way to meet quality individuals and after moving to Virginia several years ago, I can personally attest to that. I currently volunteer at two different organizations and have met some really good individuals.
There are not many undesirables that volunteer, as far as I know or have seen.

Volunteering might be one way to meet others, however if you are getting out there and do things you enjoy, that is the key, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area