Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 05:42 PM

2,774 posts, read 904,347 times

Advertisements

You can add the "Melvin" commercials by Parker and Sons to this list of obnoxious local commercials. I can't think of many locally produced commercials that don't come off as a little hokey.

However there are a few national gems such as the Geico gecko ads and some of the "Flo" ads for Progressive Insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times
Which is worse . . .

The Attorney / Legal Office Ads or the Insurance Company Ads?

Old 03-26-2020, 09:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,606,025 times
Script from the director of the Husband and Wife law team commercials:
Stand really close to your husband. No, closer.
Smile at the camera. Say your line.
Turn your head and smile at your husband.
Turn your head back and smile at the camera.
Whatever you do, don't stop smiling!

Old 03-27-2020, 11:10 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,277 times
She's not as bad as Pat the toyota intern but yes, those commercials are annoying. Her fake smile is almost as bad as her voice.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:10 PM

7,828 posts, read 4,574,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Which is worse . . .

The Attorney / Legal Office Ads or the Insurance Company Ads?
Time for a poll...

Old 03-29-2020, 09:36 AM

26,229 posts, read 49,095,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
She's not as bad as Pat the toyota intern but yes, those commercials are annoying. Her fake smile is almost as bad as her voice.
I hate those ads too, they make men look stupid, as did those old ads with some dork running around in a hopped up car always asking other drivers "does that thing have a hemi."

I never buy anything based on TV ads. When it comes to vehicles I go by Consumer Reports and The Car Book.

My rule of thumb is that the more heavily advertised something is the worse it is.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,467,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Unintended consequence of quarantining: people watching commercials driven insane.
I am amazed that anyone is spending ad dollars right now in any media channel, outside of food or medical related brands. I read Twitter, Facebook, and Google were all reporting lower ad revenue. I figured the same was going on with TV & readio stations.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:53 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,969,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I am amazed that anyone is spending ad dollars right now in any media channel, outside of food or medical related brands. I read Twitter, Facebook, and Google were all reporting lower ad revenue. I figured the same was going on with TV & readio stations.
Personal injury lawyer saturation works. It’s why Lerner and Rowe is the first thing most people think of in this market when they think of a lawyer. It’s also who they call because the phone number is memorable.

Glen Lerner did the same thing in the Las Vegas market too.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:45 PM

44,645 posts, read 61,677,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Does anyone else get the same sensation as fingernails on a chalkboard when they hear Alexis Breyer's voice on the Husband and Wife Law Team commercials?
Yes agree, they have been running the same annoying commercials over and over 20 times a day and night for at least 3+ years. Always wear the same clothes too.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:14 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,467,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
In a classic recession, the brands who continued to spend money during the recession tended to perform better for an extended amount of time as compared to the brands that cut marketing budget. This has been widely studied in every economic downturn from The Great Depression of the 1930s all the way to the late 2000s/early 2010s. However, most companies cut marketing budget in a downturn. Their brands suffer, as do the advertising agencies representing them. Layoffs abound in the marketing field during any slight downturn.

This is not a normal downturn though. This is unprecedented. There was not a mass isolation at home during the late 2000s/early 2010s recession, the post 9/11 recession, or The Great Depression. I don't think there's a playbook for how to advertise during social distancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Personal injury lawyer saturation works. It’s why Lerner and Rowe is the first thing most people think of in this market when they think of a lawyer. It’s also who they call because the phone number is memorable.

Glen Lerner did the same thing in the Las Vegas market too.
How about Goldberg & Osborne? They are well known for saturation with advertising. If something is repeated enough, it is remember. Goldberg & Osborne also has a memorable phone number.

The media environment is changing. In decades past, before cord cutting took off in the 2010s, it would be possible to saturate via TV buys on local affiliates, particularly during local affiliate newscasts. Additionally, it would be possible to do local ad placements on cable networks. TV audiences are getting smaller and the median age of the remaining audience is older. The network news shows like NBC Nightly News have a median age of viewer around 65. Fox News' median age of viewer is 68, MSNBC's is 62, and CNN's is 59. This is not sustainable. If you compare ratings/share on any local affiliate newscast and compare it to their 1995 numbers, it would be amazingly different, and the audience of the local affiliate newscasts is also aging like the network news and the cable news outlets.

I have the viewpoint that TV saturation isn't as effective anymore, especially since the younger audience is not paying attention. I would argue that a better use of ad dollars would be to do search engine marketing and pay per click type advertising, possibly linking in video through some method that way. However, during a time when the economy is shut down, this may not be the best time to implement that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Does anyone else get the same sensation as fingernails on a chalkboard when they hear Alexis Breyer's voice on the Husband and Wife Law Team commercials?
Her voice is not appealing at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area