Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 07:55 PM

32 posts, read 38,495 times

Advertisements

Considering retiring in the City of Maricopa. Would appreciate comments on the pros and cons of this community. Specific questions would be wind conditions, agricultural odors, traffic into Phoenix, utility costs, quality of local shopping and restaurants, crime, etc.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 09:40 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slice235 View Post
Considering retiring in the City of Maricopa. Would appreciate comments on the pros and cons of this community. Specific questions would be wind conditions, agricultural odors, traffic into Phoenix, utility costs, quality of local shopping and restaurants, crime, etc.

Thank you
I've owned 3 houses there since 2011 and here are my thoughts:

The pros are low cost housing, proximity to Phoenix, low crime, friendly people.

Cons are not many jobs or services there, traffic is bad at rush hour to Phoenix, bad cow manure smell when the wind blows from the dairy, utilities are high.

Wife and I had planned to winter there after I retired (16 months ago) but family circumstances and now CV-19 have stopped us until this thing is over. We had considered retiring there full time but poor air quality (wife has asthma), the dairy smells and limited services has us looking at other options in southern Arizona.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:47 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,980 times
Maricopa is a great community! My only concern there for retirement is lack of medical. Closest hospital is in Chandler, so quite a drive, especially if there is traffic.

Old 04-12-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Maricopa is a great community! My only concern there for retirement is lack of medical. Closest hospital is in Chandler, so quite a drive, especially if there is traffic.
Thanks for adding that, no hospital probably is the biggest negative for retirees. I hope they get one soon. If you can afford it and don't mind the larger city and traffic, Chandler is a much better location.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
Or Casa Grande in the same price range...basic same travel distances, but much more infrastructure , including a full service Banner Hospital.

Old 04-13-2020, 06:25 PM

32 posts, read 38,495 times
Would anyone know the common wind conditions in Maricopa. Casa Grande 20 min. away is very windy and therefore not a consideration. Yes I understand the desert is naturally windy, but some areas are consistently windy (ie. 10mph - 20 mph+). Wish to avoid these locations.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,709 times
Quote:
Would anyone know the common wind conditions in Maricopa. Casa Grande 20 min. away is very windy and therefore not a consideration. Yes I understand the desert is naturally windy, but some areas are consistently windy (ie. 10mph - 20 mph+). Wish to avoid these locations.
There will be virtually no difference in wind (or weather for that matter) from Casa Grande to Maricopa. In the summer, storms pop up here and there and one day could hit CG and another Maricopa and miss the other completely.

As you say - wind is always a factor in the desert - especially in the outskirts.

Best of luck - doesn't sound like either place is for you. I was just pointing out that CG had more of your other requests in place than Maricopa does currently. Eventually you will not be able to tell the difference between the two as city limits border each other and as development occurs they will merge. Only small pockets of the Ak Chin Indian community will separate them.

When will that occur? Who knows for sure. There are already plans towards the city limits of both communities along the Maricopa-Casa Grande Highway.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
I've struggled to find reliable data on winds speeds at different locations. I checked the CD site for cities and they have Maricopa having slightly less average monthly wind speeds than Casa Grande and definitely not enough to make a marked difference to make a determination on whether to live in either.

Anecdotally, I've heard that wind born dust storms are most common from outside of Marana to Casa Grande.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:17 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've struggled to find reliable data on winds speeds at different locations. I checked the CD site for cities and they have Maricopa having slightly less average monthly wind speeds than Casa Grande and definitely not enough to make a marked difference to make a determination on whether to live in either.

Anecdotally, I've heard that wind born dust storms are most common from outside of Marana to Casa Grande.
It seems the prevailing winds change by the season as well. See https://leafnetworkaz.org/resources/...Directions.pdf . I'm not sure how that all plays into the cause of the dust storms.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:12 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
If you are retiring...and want to be in that area, why not consider Sun Lakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area