Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 22,747 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My boyfriend and I are moving out to Arizona this summer. We are both 27 years old. We still like to go out and have a good time but are over the college bar scene. Have any suggestions on the best place for us to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,713,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom1 View Post
Hi,
My boyfriend and I are moving out to Arizona this summer. We are both 27 years old. We still like to go out and have a good time but are over the college bar scene. Have any suggestions on the best place for us to live?
A little confusing, Tomtom . . . are you "moving to AZ" or, since you posted in the Phoenix area, only considering Phoenix?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,790 times
Scottsdale is alright for what you're looking for.
I'll tell you what though, if you are over the college bar scene MOS DEF dont move to Tempe.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,740 times
Agree with the Scotttsdale rec in general, but there are growing pods of cool places in many parts of town and you can live really close or between many of them.

Also, I disagree that Tempe is just a college age destination. There are a lots of interesting eateries and "adult" places, even on or near Mill. See House of Tricks, Cafe Boa, etc.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom1 View Post
Hi,
I'm waaaaay over amateur nights myself. I don't particularly enjoy nightclubs because I don't like drunk people or drugs (I know I'm painting with a broad brush) but I *do* enjoy happy hours and a few afternoon drinks on a Saturday and Sunday. Scottsdale has a lot to offer for that, plus plenty of places with good nightlife. The nightlife here, from what I've experienced, is not very collegiate, although you'll hit an amateur night once in a while. Lots of twenty and thirtysomethings, and beyond. I've come to love it.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:12 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,949 times
I like Tempe > Scottsdale. Scottsdale has all the nature and outdoor stuff, like Tempe. The only problem with Scottsdale is everything is still a bit of a driving distance.

This would only be the case because Tempe is surrounded by freeway's, while Scottsdale has the crappy 101.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 AM

94 posts, read 324,777 times
You actually have two options: Scottsdale or Phoenix. What kind of stuff are you into?
If you're looking for expensive clubs with all the bells and whistles, go to Scottsdale. Don't get me wrong, I go to Scottsdale quite frequently with my friends and have a great time, but it gets a bit pretentious at times. Think of it this way: When all those frat boys and sorority girls of ASU grow up they either stay in Tempe or they drive due North, and graduate to Scottsdale. On the upside of Scottsdale, it really is pretty and clean there.
If you're more of the cozy dive bar and artsy type, then head to Phoenix. Phoenix until about 5 years ago was 100% crap, but since then it's been breaking thru culturally, slowly but surely. It's a lot more laid back in Phoenix. There have been many weekends that I've been on the couch, not wanting to put forth the effort of beautifying myself to death, throw some mascara on and run out the door. There are a ton of bars and restaraunts that have taken on more of an artistic flair, and while the action isn't as consistent as Scottsdale, it's improving more and more all the time. I can't remember the last time I went downtown and came home with a feeling of "Well, that sucked."
I know it sounds like I'm putting Scottsdale down, but really I'm not. Scottsdale has a lot to offer... just depends on what you want to have offered to you I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: