Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:57 AM

184 posts, read 244,809 times

Advertisements

At least 12 German Shepherds were to be killed this past Sunday if not adopted, rescued, fostered.
One of the owner surrendered dog did nothing wrong except urinate in the house, once.

IF you know anyone who'd like to adopt a great, smart, dog, please call them. They are a kill shelter.

Maricopa County Animal Care and Control/West Valley Animal Care Center. 1-602-506-7387.

Please do not delete this, I'm not offering a pet for sale, just an alert on a LOCAL event that needs help.

Please act fast if you can help. It's such a worthy cause. THANK YOU for listening. Debbie (Fla).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 07:29 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,647,404 times
Your post is confusing. They were to be killed on Sunday? Today is Monday. Are they safe or were they killed?

Old 10-26-2015, 07:49 PM

127 posts, read 195,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Your post is confusing. They were to be killed on Sunday? Today is Monday. Are they safe or were they killed?
I don't think it matters. I can guarantee you they don't just kill animals every once in a while. Usually dogs without chips get about 3-5 days before they're killed, so my guessing is that it takes place every Sunday. Instead of reading too much into it just try rescuing one of these poor animals. I already have 4 rescues and have rescued about 3 others in the past few months and rehomed them. I wish they would make some laws against breeding animals for profit. Hundreds of them die at the shelters.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
I don't think it matters. I can guarantee you they don't just kill animals every once in a while. Usually dogs without chips get about 3-5 days before they're killed, so my guessing is that it takes place every Sunday. Instead of reading too much into it just try rescuing one of these poor animals. I already have 4 rescues and have rescued about 3 others in the past few months and rehomed them. I wish they would make some laws against breeding animals for profit. Hundreds of them die at the shelters.
Agree completely. I have two rescues of my own. They're great dogs. It will never end until these scumbag breeders stop. Spaying and neutering should be mandatory in most cases.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 PM

550 posts, read 1,127,288 times
The real scumbags are the people who buy animals and drop them in the shelters when they are tired of them.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:49 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
How sad.

We adopted a dog from the Arizona Humane Society about a month ago. Can't deal with more than one, unfortunately.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
The real scumbags are the people who buy animals and drop them in the shelters when they are tired of them.
They fall into that category too, however, it makes no sense to continue producing dogs when so many are already unwanted and therefore being killed. It's pure greed to do so.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,687 times
I wonder why there isn't more regulation aimed at stopping/regulating animal breeding, placing stricter registration/controls on who can buy/sell small animals, or whatever other tactics might reduce this cycle? (Edit: I do think there should always be the ability for specialty or service animals, etc., to be bred, trained, sold ... I think most people are more concerned with regulation of "puppy mills" and the portion of backyard breeders who may not be operating properly.)

Given the cost to taxpayers to round up and kill/adopt out animals on a constant basis, you'd think it might be worth the investment. Not to mention the moral concerns many have with this waste of animal life. This isn't like livestock where the animals are a commodity and therefore generally aren't wasted; this is just breeding for an initial profit on a rapidly depreciating asset (i.e., value of a puppy vs. value of a grown dog) and expecting the government to clean up and kill what the rescue animal owners don't save.

Given the remarkable lengths to which many Americans care for their pets, and spend a lot of money on their animals, it surprises me that there isn't any traction on improving this situation. I'm sure there any many pet owners on this board, if anyone knows the reasons why not, please clue me in. I know so many people who own rescue(s) but it seems like it's never enough to stem the tide of abandoned animals.

Last edited by ScottsdaleMark; 10-27-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 10-03-2022, 07:39 PM

5 posts, read 9,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I wonder why there isn't more regulation aimed at stopping/regulating animal breeding, placing stricter registration/controls on who can buy/sell small animals, or whatever other tactics might reduce this cycle? ...

Given the remarkable lengths to which many Americans care for their pets, and spend a lot of money on their animals, it surprises me that there isn't any traction on improving this situation.
I know this thread is old, but the bolded parts stood out to me. I think it's an example of humanizing being a common problem among dog ”lovers” (advocates). The Maricopa County Animal shelter is currently in another internal war between lovers (who loves dogs the most, who can run down inferior lovers the most). It's really bizarre how this is a constant theme (among lovers, rescues, volunteers at the shelter, staff at the shelter). I think your bolded remarks above are an example of how humanizing steers everyone to the current crisis instead of strategic actions.

Pushing for Craigslist to enforce its ban on animal sales would be sensible to do, and something the leadership in the rescue/shelter ”community” could shine a spotlight on (connections with the media). But, that's not sexy. There's no immediate gratification from saving dogs today. Bashing the shelter (as a disgruntled volunteer who ”cares more”) feel better. The overcrowding crisis plays more in the media. The idea of shining a light on the corruption of Craigslist is never even a topic. ("B-O-r-i-n-g....").

Sometimes I wonder if people addicted to the constant pleas & crisis subconsciously avoid the source of the problem because that would mean they'd get less ego ”supply” from dog rescue next year, and the year after even less, (and so on). Then what would they do? (Like the story of the fireman setting fires to have something to do.).

There is something amazingly wrong when Craigslist only banned pet sales[1] after the San Fran Chronicle[2] did an expose in 2005 about how the then-new ”crowd” service was negatively affecting area shelters after just 5-6 years of operation. (CL started in 95-96, but wasn't close to what it is today until 99-00.). If you visit CL's ”Community > Pets” area, it's LOADED with puppy ads. It appears the ban was merely ”washing.”

CL responds to this obvious failure (to actually do anything) by saying they rely on their community of users to police the site. Anyone can try flagging just a few of those ads and see that that doesn't usually do much. CL responds to that by saying: ”we have an automated process which weights flags according to a proprietary algorithm.” It's all setup in a way that the ban isn't a ban.

Nothing changed since 2005, and stunningly nobody has gone back to continue publicly shaming CL for the past 17 years (when shaming clearly got a response from CL then. They just weren't serious.).

3-4 years ago there was a group of people in Phx who setup a FB group to coordinate monitoring CL's pet sales, and notify the group of ads to flag. The reason they did this is because people randomly (organically) flagging didn't work. It appeared that CL would reduce the significance of a flag if an ad were up long enough (just minutes). Or, if a person flagged too many (more than one or two) too fast (over hours or days?). It's literally setup in a way to be all appearance. ”We rely on the community... to beat it's brains out if it wants to trying to enforce our rules which we don't care about.”

So, these clever people setup a FB account to swarm an ad within minutes. Guess what? That didn't work either because ”the proprietary algorithm” views that as ”flag abuse.” CL's protecting the sellers who should be banned. It's a crazy system that goes unaddressed. There's no downside for CL. They were called out in 2005. They ”washed” the topic with a meaningless ban. And, now that's the ”new normal.” Everyone accepts it (motivated by getting something more by helping the current dogs in need. Something more relatable (as a human viewing dogs as humans) than they'd get from working on something strategic, less cuddly. Less publicly arm wrestling with other ”lovers” over who loves dogs more. Who can "do better.").

I talked to a couple of those swarmers back then and asked why the big names in dog rescue aren't pushing this with the media? Keeping it alive ? Why hasn't there been another call-out/cancel campaign against CL? 17 years, and this is not a complex topic. The average person can understand it. It's demonstrable. Anyone can see it for themselves. There's a ban. There's clearly a system designed to not enforce it. (There's even no apparent reputation accrued to accounts. If a fluke occurs and a flag takes down an ad, the seller posts a new one within an hour. It's not like they have a ”history” that follows them, and results in banning, even IP-level ban. It's whack-a-mole. CL doesn't even require an account in order to post ads. That's an invitation to never have reputation bans. For all the proprietary black-box intelligence CL put into their flag algorithm, they seemed to completely fail at the account reputation. The algorithm doesn't work, unless the goal is to protect sellers of prohibited items. And, even if it did work, people could repost ads 24x7.).

Anyway, they told me that the leadership people they spoke to doesn't like confrontation, and views this as a matter of ”education.”

That's a load of baloney. When Mary Martin was finding outlets in other areas that didn't have overpopulation problems, these pacifistic rescue leaders were going to the Phx media complaining about how all the most adoptable dogs were being shipped out of state, and these rescues have a right to them first. These rescues will act sanctimonious all day long about how they're ”no kill,” and imply everyone who's not is not doing good enough. But, they quietly leave the less adoptable dogs at the county shelter to face whatever fate awaits (after taking the most adoptable). Martin found an outlet for these dogs, and the local rescues were outraged that they would have to share some of that ”no kill” love with dogs who typically never get it. They could make that something for the media to spotlight.

But, backyard breeders & CL's overt subterfuge? Oh no... making a fuss out of that would be unprofessional, beneath their dignity. "Education. That's the key." Keep doing what we always do, expecting a different result.

IMO, that deflection to education is part of the ego involved in dog rescue. Considering everything else, I think it's safe to say ”education” could be substituted with ”pontification.” They can talk down to the irresponsible breeders (and their best friend, CL) in the same way they do each other. Wwe see this same thing all the time within the internecine war of ”lovers.” They get an identity from being ”lovers,” separating the wheat from the chaff among themselves. I think it's fair to say that the lack of passion on this topic reflects that they wouldn't get something from shutting down a significant source of next year's unwanted dogs. Where those dogs come from is just another group to sanctimoniously talk down about while patting one's self on the back.

The choices they make is weird. It's the same old thing. Everyone gets wound up about dogs right now (and who can do better). Everything else is boring. It doesn't have the ”supply” that the current crisis always has (or someone's latest failure. They'll attack each other like there's no tomorrow.). But, CL's obvious problem which is now accepted as normal? That would be wrong to stir the pot about that, and get the media involved. Childish even.

The whole dog rescue scene (if that's the right term. Sector? Movement? Community?) is amazingly toxic. Its one drama after another. Backyard breeders & Craig benefit the most. Except, that's not really true. It's toxic because people get something from it. Like a family fight, a domestic dispute. Like that COPS episode called to the trailer park, and take away the boyfriend because the wife said he struck her (and she has a black eye). As they drive away, she's crying ”No! No! Don't take him! Don't worry baby! I'll make your bail!” It's like that. They're so caught up in that kind of energy (co-dependency, expressing emotions the way they do against each other) that things like CL don't come to mind for long. There's nothing in it (if they succeeded, they'd have less drama next year. That would be counterproductive in many ways. It would be like the boyfriend never coming back.).

[1] https://www.craigslist.org/about/prohibited
[2] Lelchuk, Ilene (July 11, 2005). ”Craigslist pressured to ban dog, cat ads”. San Francisco Chronicle. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...ts-2655946.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area