Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:51 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 PM

219 posts, read 778,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
ADW: Alaus oculatus: Information

This is what I was talking about but they look a darker, almost black out here in AZ with a little shorter legs. I guess people call it the click beetle. It looks less scary in person without the magnification. Just a skinny black beatle but it is cut in half, I guess thats how it jumps.
Well they're not blister beetles as Steve-O mentioned. Those click beetles might be them but I can't be certain. I want to rule out grasshoppers because I've always thought grasshoppers were cool, nice bugs. These are some creepy looking bugs, plus they're brown. I typically thought of grasshoppers as green. I also would say they don't hop quite as much as grasshoppers. They do resemble a beetle more than grasshoppers, but they are all over the place here in Tempe, and definitely blend in with the environment. They have great detection abilities and can seem to sense my presence before I even make a move to kill them.

I gotta say one myth about the Phoenix metro area is that there are no bugs. Many people told me that, and I would say in terms of ground bugs, there are just as many as back east. However, there are fewer flies, gnats, and flying bugs.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 PM

641 posts, read 2,365,939 times
We have brown ones here , crickets. I have had the unpleasentness of having a blister beetle on me. That was an experience I never want to do again.

There has been an influx of flea beetles this year in Az, they are finally slowing down though.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:36 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
We have brown ones here , crickets. I have had the unpleasentness of having a blister beetle on me. That was an experience I never want to do again.

There has been an influx of flea beetles this year in Az, they are finally slowing down though.
Flee beetles? Ew, what are those.
You guys are creeping me out!!!!

fcor. Ha, yeah, I guess we do have brown hoppers here. Poor little guys ride around on my pool toys all the time until I save them. Then they just jump right back in the pool. I don't know how those things survive. They can't fly worth a hoot.

I have never seen more than 2 or 3 of those popping bugs in my house so I don't know what those are you have. Maybe that icky sounding flee beetle.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Maybe you need to get a ghecko. Just watch out for the ones that sell insurance.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:08 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Here is a list of beetles that habitat in AZ and photos. Maybe you can match your bug to one of them:
Google Image Result for http://www.whatsthatbug.com/images/ironclad_beetle_top_az.jpg

Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 PM

219 posts, read 778,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Maybe you need to get a ghecko. Just watch out for the ones that sell insurance.
I actually got a great rate on car insurance here with Geico. I have a 2002 Honda and only paying $586 every 6 months, I'm not sure there are much better insurance companies out here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area