Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,298,275 times

Advertisements

TurcoLoco~ Well I can't really do anything about the illegals other then let my Senators and Congressmen know how I feel. I know that falls on deaf ears since it is a political hot button and both of our Politicians will open the flood gates.

The Seniors I can help and I do as well as my husband. We volunteer and donate to several local groups that support Seniors. We also buy pet food and donate that to a group that gives food to Seniors for their animals. Plus when someone comes into my Hubs work and attempts to buy a few pills, he pays for the RX for them. There are a few that he helps out each month.

I'm sorry if you think I am ranting and raving. I didn't mean to come across like that. I thought I was just having a discussion. Sorry if I offended you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
TurcoLoco~ Well I can't really do anything about the illegals other then let my Senators and Congressmen know how I feel. I know that falls on deaf ears since it is a political hot button and both of our Politicians will open the flood gates.

The Seniors I can help and I do as well as my husband. We volunteer and donate to several local groups that support Seniors. We also buy pet food and donate that to a group that gives food to Seniors for their animals. Plus when someone comes into my Hubs work and attempts to buy a few pills, he pays for the RX for them. There are a few that he helps out each month.

I'm sorry if you think I am ranting and raving. I didn't mean to come across like that. I thought I was just having a discussion. Sorry if I offended you.
Do NOT apologize Jenny, you are right about ranting and raving. I just got sick of all the ugliness, unfairness and corruption. I did my ranting and raving and realized I was only shortening my own life-span.

If I kept at it, another one would have flown over cuckoo's nest by now or I would have turn into a real-life version of the comic book hero-villian The Punisher.

If everyone is complaining and commenting on such a serious issue and neither the Senator nor the Congressman can or will do anything about it, then what does that tell you about the incompetency and corruption in the government?

Old 10-01-2008, 01:39 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Default It's what the govt wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
In the Phoenix area--are there any businesses you susect of having illegal aliens on the payroll? There are a few places i suspect--i wont shop there.
But isn't this the whole reason they are allowed into this country? Isn't this what the government wants?

IF they didn't, they wouldn't be here. We have technology that can pick up a hair on a dog's behind, so saying they can't see them coming here is absurd.

Even Bush has gone on and defended them, and he has probably made deals with Mexico. When Presidente Fox defiantly asked Bush to tear down the borders between the US and Mexico, Bush didn't tell him to go eat it, he went down and had a "talk" with him.

So, the very agent, the government, who is supposed to enforce citizenship and borders, is the same agent who is allowing them to come here for cheap labor for business.

The government doesn't care if Americans have jobs or not. They spend our money on making friends globally, and even McCain said, during the Presidential debates, that if someone could do things cheaper abroad, and then interjected something about that creating more jobs...(John, over there, but not over here...)

Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM

172 posts, read 298,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
ArizonaG21C They are not getting insurance from their employer because you can't insure an illegal person. BUT Illegals get full care in clinics, hospitals, phamacies,etc. WE PAY FOR IT! I have no problem paying for Seniors who have worked HERE their whole lives or for a person who has lost their job. But I DO have a problem dishing out my tax dollars for illegals who broke the law by coming into this country in the first place.

My husband is a pharmacist and illegals come in and get their RX's FREE all the time and yet Seniors are coming in and buying 1 or 2 pills for their heart because they don't have their checks yet.

Politicians are too busy fighting for the illegals and have forgotten the Seniors which is a disgrace.
Your singing...er yelling at the choir!

Rather than spend resources to go after the illegals (a sympton)...I would prefer we go after the owners of the business(es) that are making $$$$ off the backs of the illegals and dumping related costs such as medical etc on the taxpayer.

If you recoup the costs from business profits and/or eliminate the jobs...most will head back south of the border...the rest can be rounded up by Sheriff Joe

Old 10-01-2008, 03:30 PM

172 posts, read 298,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
............ They'd be making plenty less if entrpreneurs didn't start businesses that provide jobs for them to even get tips.
Tho a bit side tracked by the car wash example...we agree

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I wonder who is mowing/taking care of Sheriff Joe's yard?

lol
I personally know who's taking care of Sheriff Joe's yard in Fountain Hills. They are Caucasion, US citizens born and raised here, and very involved in their church every Sunday.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 AM

103 posts, read 229,357 times
THere is the new employee verification law which scared the illegals for a while. I dont know how well it's being enforced.
Of course the Chamber of commerce welcomes illegals. Cheap labour. And they do drain our resources, schools and hospitals.
A guest worker program would be a better solution. I dont blame the illegals themselves they are just trying to improve their lives.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:54 PM

9 posts, read 18,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dont shop there and then report them, simple as that. Lets put an end to this crap!
Ok fine, but how do we determine? Don't get me wrong, if your not fully documented, then you should be sent back, but how do you "report" someone who is working? It would turn the USA into a police state no?

Old 10-04-2008, 03:32 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,937,576 times
I'm going to represent the other point of view; please don't shoot me for it. Illegal immigrants are here because local citizens can't be found to do the dirty work. A quick story about Massachusetts from the Boston Globe a few years ago. The apple orchards in western Mass. would fly in foreign workers from the Caribbean every summer for a couple of months. They picked the apples, lived in dorms, and then went home where they lived like princes the rest of the year. Back in the Depression, college students from Boston used to go out there and beg for work. Not anymore. These days, locals will work for a week or so and then quit. Bottom line is that Americans simply don't want to do hard manual labor anymore. I don't care how much you raise the pay. The work ethic here is just not what it used to be.

So maybe instead of hating the people who come here to work and support their families, we should be focusing on why we need them in the first place. I don't know how many people I've met who regard unemployment insurance as a six month vacation. If there were no unemployment insurance, people would be a lot more fearful of losing their jobs and they just might work a little harder to prevent that. Of course, we have to have UI but it's still food for thought. Maybe we need to reform our education system to emphasize some old fashioned values such as an honest day's pay for an honest day's work, and the importance of responsibility and self-reliance.

Now as for enforcement of immigration laws by punishing employers. What this encourages employers to do is avoid hiring anyone with a foreign accent, anyone who seems like he's just up from South America as an earlier poster described it. How the hell do hiring managers have time to go around investigating each potential hire to ascertain whether their passport is legitimate and their SS number wasn't stolen? The bottom line is, no one has that kind of time and the easy way out is to practice good old discrimination against foreign-looking people regardless of their legitimate documentation. Now isn't that an enlightened way to deal with the problem?

When you read about the kind of places these guys come from in central and south America, the dirt poor villages and the drug gangs and violence and disease--why is it so terrible that they want to come here and dig our ditches for us as a way to a better life? Isn't that what this country is all about? It's a tiny drop in the bucket of our economy, maybe a few billion dollars, and by the way that's a few billion dollars in added value they give us by making our factories more competitive in the world and making services cheaper for the rest of us. Meanwhile, we live like fat pigs driving our gas guzzlers to the tune of $400 billion a year in imported Arab and Venezuelan oil, which forces us to go fight wars in nasty places to defend all that foreign oil. I think we need to get our priorities straight. Just my two cents

Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
I Wonder if Turf Paradise has any illegals in thier employ....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area