Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:05 PM

164 posts, read 838,519 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here from another state. Will I be allowed to bring my kids with when voting tomorrow? Will they required to remain outside the actual ballot booth or can they come in with me? They are 7 and 9 years old (always very well behaved before the inevitable "leave them home" comment comes along) and I'd like to let them see how the process works.....

And yes I am planning on brining plenty of things with for them to do in case the lines are long.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflug View Post
I recently moved here from another state. Will I be allowed to bring my kids with when voting tomorrow? Will they required to remain outside the actual ballot booth or can they come in with me? They are 7 and 9 years old (always very well behaved before the inevitable "leave them home" comment comes along) and I'd like to let them see how the process works.....

And yes I am planning on brining plenty of things with for them to do in case the lines are long.....
Sorry, cflug, probably not the answer you want to hear, however . . .

I am a firm believer in "There's A Time And Place For Kids" and I do not feel a Polling Station is appropriate for young kids. Voting is a very serious process and requires concentration and attention . . . not a bunch of kids creating distractions.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
I brought mine and had no problems.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
or you can take it as an opportunity to show your kids the process, get them energized about voting and representative government and use it as a teaching/bonding tool

Old 11-03-2008, 09:24 PM

164 posts, read 838,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
or you can take it as an opportunity to show your kids the process, get them energized about voting and representative government and use it as a teaching/bonding tool
That's exactly why I'm doing it. I have no decisions left to make so it's simply a matter of completing the ballot. I don't mean that to sound like I'm taking the process lightly, I've already made up my mind on how I'm going to vote on all the issues, both nationally and locally.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,453 times
I think the "rules" of bringing your kids to polls may be the same everywhere.

(Example: What if you're the only one that can take care of them the whole day, and absolutely cannot leave them at home... does that mean you can't vote?)

I remember going to the polls when I was young. Where my parents voted, there was a little "Kids Voting" station in the next room, so it made it kinda fun. Maybe there will be the same type of thing over where you will be voting?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Turn to KidsVoting.org for more answers on this. Turns out that here in the state of Arizona a movement started by three business men that noticed in another nation adults voted more when the kids were involved. The Kids Voting Organization has moved from here to many other states. Children learn the views of their parents and parents seem to become more excited to vote and teach their kids. I couldn't find a law that said you couldn't do this. Maybe someone else can chime in. For me I think that it is important for our kids to understand the process that we go through to choose our leaders and vote on key issues. As some have stated they don't feel that the voting booth is a place for kids. I respect that. My thought is that you take children that will repect the rights of others and act in a civil manner toward those that are doing their civic duty.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:53 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,135,803 times
I see no problems with children accompanying parents vote~ however some of the lines are quite long~ if you are looking at hours in line you may want to wait for a midterm election where the lines are less~ but you know your kids stand and wait ability better than others~ kids can be disruptive!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:41 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

I am a firm believer in "There's A Time And Place For Kids" and I do not feel a Polling Station is appropriate for young kids. Voting is a very serious process and requires concentration and attention . . . not a bunch of kids creating distractions.
I totally disagree with you, when we were growing up (back in the olden days) even our teachers incouraged us to accompany our parents to the polls. I remember for a month or so (like 3 years though) us discussing elections at the dinner table: my parents were of different parties. Election day was almost as important as family and religiuos holidays. Now, I will clarify, I see no reason to take toddlers to the polls, no you should find someone to watch them while you vote, if you can.

Nita

Old 11-04-2008, 07:49 AM

837 posts, read 2,335,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

That's a ill-informed statement in my opinion. I took my twin 9 year old sons with me to vote, and drove us there in my classic 1964 Impala (that they just love), and made sure I pointed out to them that when this car was brand new "We didn't have the right" to vote in some parts of the country because of the color of our skin.
A little heavy for a 9 year old.........maybe, but they understood, and I want them to be involved in the process every step of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: