Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times

Advertisements

Our 26-year-old Carrier rooftop AC/heat pump finally died the other week and refused to turn on, so our home warranty company got a repair service to check it out.

They're saying it's not repairable, so they will replace the entire unit, which is fine with us except that they want $1225 on top of the $55 co-pay for non-warranty work--bracket installation and disposal of the old unit.

I just wanted to get an idea from folks who have been through this--is this a reasonable installation charge for a standard rooftop unit? We are in a single story 1300 sq ft house, by the way.

I have some reservations about this contractor because he could not tell me anything about the new unit except that it would be a Carrier.

Also, his guy he initially sent out here opened the thermostat and demonstrated a loose wire on the connection plate which he blamed for the failure, and recommended replacing the entire thermostat to fix the loose wire. For some reason he did not reconnect this wire to verify his claim.

When I got home I swapped the stripped screw for an unused one on the same plate and the system still won't turn on. I don't think this is a very competent repair company and we're suspicious about their quote.

Does this seem like a normal thing, this $1225, or does it sound like we're being ripped off? Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,330 times
Actually off the top of my head the quote sounded a little low. I was thinking more like 2k. Regardless, I would check out the contractor through the registrar of contractors and also through the Better Business Bureau. You can also call around to other contractors and ask for an estimate just to get a comparison.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
That sounds pretty reasonable actually. Repair guy may have blamed the wire, but it sound like 26 years is the main thing. You should be getting a minimum 13 seer replacement unit and that is going to have big impact on your electric bills this summer (reducing them). It's pretty hard to screw up a package unit replacement, so I would not sweat the installer too much. About all they have to do is put it on the roof, attach the power and themostat leads and see if it works.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I'm with Ponderosa on this one . . .

I believe I paid about $7k for a 5 Ton Heat Pump a few years ago.

Considering the age of your current Heat Pump, I am surprised your Home Warranty doesn't "pro-rate" the charge. After all, 26 years is a damn long time in Heat Pump Years here in the desert.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:50 PM

92 posts, read 421,536 times
You would need a 4 to 4.5 ton unit. Typically would run between $3000-$5000 installed depending on how much retrofit work you would need. You could probably get it done cheaper but that would be with a piece of junk unit. Carrier in my opinion is on the lower quality end of units...The old ones (20 years or older) were great but their quality and design is sub par. I would recommend trying to get them to install an American Standard or Trane....American Standard and Trane are the same thing...Trane makes American Standard but have less advertising into Am. Standard so they're cheaper. Get the lowest SEER unit they have which is probably a 12 SEER...High SEER units don't work well in AZ and parts for them are expensive.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:59 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abmiku View Post
You would need a 4 to 4.5 ton unit. Typically would run between $3000-$5000 installed depending on how much retrofit work you would need. You could probably get it done cheaper but that would be with a piece of junk unit. Carrier in my opinion is on the lower quality end of units...The old ones (20 years or older) were great but their quality and design is sub par. I would recommend trying to get them to install an American Standard or Trane....American Standard and Trane are the same thing...Trane makes American Standard but have less advertising into Am. Standard so they're cheaper. Get the lowest SEER unit they have which is probably a 12 SEER...High SEER units don't work well in AZ and parts for them are expensive.
There have been no new units with less than 13 SEER produced in the last 3 years. It is against the law.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There have been no new units with less than 13 SEER produced in the last 3 years. It is against the law.
Good point, Ponderosa.

Also, depending on the construction and exposure, a 1300 sq ft home should be fine with a new 3 Ton unit. A 26 year old unit probably has a rating of 2 or 3 SEER today so a new unit would reduce electric consumption considerably.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
blisterpeanuts...you got a bargain at that price in today's economy. A new 13 seer 3 1/2 ton unit, that you'd pay for total, on your roof by Goettel would be in the $3500.00+ range.
We put in a Trane 18 seer complete system last year that runs about $10,000.00

Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 PM

81 posts, read 346,339 times
Does it make sense to have a few people who are licensed to check it out? everyone in the Valley needs work now, so perhaps getting some free estimates will help you understand what needs to be done and the most competitive price.

Hope it works out!

Old 01-11-2009, 12:15 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
You can ask your warranty company for a second opinion. Although I agree that the age of your unit pretty much tells the story. They will send out another company but you will have to pay another service charge. As to getting a different brand installed, the warranty company will only do that if the brand you have is no longer available. I also agree that for your square footage I think a 4 ton or larger might be too big and a waste of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area