Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM

20 posts, read 86,399 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I live over on the west side in Estrella. With new rate hike from COX, think it's time to make a switch, especially due to the less than poor HD lineup.

So any of you that have either of the two satelites, can I get some feedback on which one is better, or why you picked one over the other?? Thanks so much for the help.

Rod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 10:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I "picked" DirecTV due to the bundling with Qwest. I just got a notice that they are raising rates too. I've been happy with the service, though.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:04 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
Dish is cheaper. Both, are good. I wonder if they still have the landline requirement?

Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 AM

418 posts, read 1,311,763 times
I just Friday called my Direct TV customer service department. Told them I was changing to Dish Network because they are cheaper and I want the newest DVR equipment. They immediately lowered my rate of $108 per month down to $68 and are sending a service guy out Monday to update my receivers for no cost. They said it was because I was a long time premium customer and they don't want to lose my business. They said if I call back every 6 months they will make sure I keep the lower rate or give me an even lower one if their rates come down at all. Sounded like a good deal, plus I love the NFL package which no one else has.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Dish is cheaper. Both, are good. I wonder if they still have the landline requirement?

DISH figured out that DirectTV didn't care about plugging into a land-line. Therefore they dropped that requirement because they lost customers.

For vidiophiles, DISH does compress the HD channels a little more so it's "softer" (due to compression). But the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and user friendliness on the DISH is nicer IMHO.

Direct TV is also fighting to steal customers from DISH and their retention department hates the other guy. So use it to your advantage. DISH did a preemptive strike and offered some discounts if you agree to a 2 year extension (free 3 month movie package and dropping the $10 HD fee per month). Of course they now "own you" if they have a price hike.

That's more info than you wanted but I play the game to get the best rates.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:30 AM

115 posts, read 267,214 times
Years ago I was more of a Dish Fan. But I will always go with Direct now because I like their programming better.. When we lost Direct not to long ago we settled for Dish again, and I was like they still have the same boxes, we had in 2002. When we move in March, we are definitely going back to Direct. But the other poster is right Dish is cheaper. But I will go with the higher because it has the channels that we like: I like TV One, MTv's, BET's, The WORD network,etc. And Dish didn't have these and still don't. In 2002, they had a kind of tech channel on Dish called CCCSAT/CCN, and that was the main reason I got it,since I am a techie person, and then that channel went away.

Ridah Gee

Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Haven't had landline with dish in over ten years?

Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM

39 posts, read 209,253 times
We've had Dish Network for 8 years and have been happy with it. Whenever I've compared prices, it's always been cheaper than Directv.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I was just pricing Dish vs Directv and noticed that Dish has a limit of only 3 HD sets. Is that right?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 AM

14 posts, read 88,546 times
I went back to Cox. I couldn't stand the DVR options with Dish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area