Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM

28 posts, read 158,314 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

My husband has an interview scheduled in 2 weeks at the palo verde nuclear plant. I know that 1 person who works there lives in goodyear. We do not have any school age children but of course want a good school district for resale value.

I would like to be close to shopping, resturants, airport, and military base.
Any ideas or opinions are welcome and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 01:55 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
OH that is easy...look into Goodyear or Litchfield Park. Litchfield Park is near Luke AFB and is a beautiful community with great schools! I would definitely consider this area and I think you'll love it after you visit as well.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:58 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariafromny View Post
Hello and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

My husband has an interview scheduled in 2 weeks at the palo verde nuclear plant. I know that 1 person who works there lives in goodyear. We do not have any school age children but of course want a good school district for resale value.

I would like to be close to shopping, resturants, airport, and military base.
Any ideas or opinions are welcome and appreciated.
There are quite a number of PV employees in Estrella (Estrella Mountain Ranch). There used to be APS vans that ran out there. Don't know if that is still the case.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:54 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Estrella, Verrado or Litchfiled Park.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
anywhere in goodyear, verrado or LP would definitely fit the bill

from goodyear you are 30 minutes to the airport in "normal" traffic, within 10-15 minutes from luke AFB from most parts of the city, wide variety of restaurants and shopping within the city and about 15-20 minutes from westgate (sports complexes, entertainment district) and the new park west shopping center and 20-30 minutes from the arrowhead mall/restaurant row area

also in goodyear you are within 20-30 minutes of 5 spring training sites hosting 9 teams, including a facility in goodyear

a lot of palo verde people live here

Old 09-24-2009, 07:57 AM

26 posts, read 98,601 times
There are plenty of nice areas on the west side. You will want to stay close to the freeway, I-10, and probably stay west of Loop 101. That is where all the "new" neighborhoods are.
For houses built on old cotton fields, termites aren't usually an issue.
Otherwise, if built on old desert, look for traces of termite "tunnels" along the perimiter of the foundation. A lot of fairly new houses are already getting termites around here.
Your realtor will know which schools are best, and now is a very good time to be buying real estate here.
I used to work at the facility, and van pools were the mode of transportation for most of us.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 AM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
You are not going to be on the west side and be close to "the" airport if all you mean is Sky Harbor, how ever, if you are talking general avaition airports, there are several nearby, Glendale, Litchfield, Buckeye, all have runways longer than 5000ft, with fuel, Buckeye is usually cheaper on 100LL, since it is self serve.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM

Thank you so much for all of the information so far. As far as airport I need to be able to fly back home to ny to see my son and daughter-in-law and my first grandchild due in january.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:14 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
goodyear isn't far from sky harbor - unless you are flying in rush hour it's 30 minutes tops from most places in goodyear

places like tempe are definitely closer to the airport - but then you have to get to palo verde everyday and you've just added on a significant amount of time to your daily drive in order to save 20 minutes on the days you just need to fly or pick someone up

Old 10-24-2009, 12:39 PM

Talking Just returned from our visit!

Well we just returned from our visit to Arizona and found it to be very nice. I was very busy looking in different at different houses in different subdivisions.
Without a doubt we have narrowed it down to 2 choices----
Estrella or Verrado
Any input would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area