Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM

9 posts, read 16,570 times

Advertisements

can anyone explaine a short sale to me? Seems they take so long with no guarantee the bank will accept the offer. I also heard that some banks want the buyer to pay tax on the difference on the sale price, and what the original loan amount is for. Is this true? We are looking in the West Valley of AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 03:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Go check out the Real Estate section of city-data. All sorts of discussions about short sales. Bottom line is though you can get a nicer home than many of the actual foreclosures, the trouble to get them approved by the bank etc. can make the process very unnattractive.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,892 times
I plan on seeking out short sales for the very reasons described by D517.

My wife and I will be living with her parents rent-free while we're house shopping. The longer it takes to get through the process, the more we can save for new furniture, etc.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 PM

51 posts, read 159,564 times
Just recently my husband and I were house-searching in the west valley. We looked mainly at foreclosures and short sales. Short sales were very frustrating. We put in a total of 7 bids, 3 were foreclosures, the other 4 were short sales. We were looking in mid-January. We did not get 2 of the foreclosures, never have heard back on the short-sales, and finally did get an acceptance from the last foreclosure. When you get an acceptance it states that the bank can pretty much cancel the purchase contract at any time up to the day of closing. My realtor said that she's had it happen where she's gotten an accepted offer, and a week before closing the bank transfers the short sale to the foreclosure department, which starts the process all over again. if there are multiple loans on the property, it's even more difficult. If you're in no rush and won't get frustrated at the time it takes to hear back, then it might be for you, but I found the process to be too difficult...

Old 03-17-2009, 10:02 AM

551 posts, read 2,726,393 times
A short sale is basically a pre-foreclosure. It means the original owner with the mortgage cannot (or doesn't want to) pay anymore, but also owes more on the house than it is worth, and therefore cannot sell the house the usual way. In a true short sale, a new buyer will offer to buy the house for less than the mortgage balance and the bank will forgive (or erase) the difference between what the original owner owes and what the house sells for. These types of sales are "AS-IS" meaning there is no warranty or guarantee on the condition of the house.

As others have mentioned, this can take many months for the bank to process the paperwork, while the original owner usually remains in the house without making payments. However, if someone else comes by and offers a little more money for the house, the bank may cancel the first contract and try to work with the new buyer. Also, some banks just don't want to deal with this type of sale and simply evict the original owner and process the house through a foreclosure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area