Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times

Advertisements

ASU Preps for Obama Visit (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/education/asu_obama_visit_05_11_2009 - broken link)

This is espeically for people who commute into downtown Tempe or around ASU. Obama's visit is expected to draw a record 71,000 people on Wednesday (May 13th) ... so it is advisable to prepare for longer traffic delays and possible blockades & street closures as a result of the event. If you don't absolutely have to be in or around downtown Tempe on Wednesday, it is best to avoid the area as much as possible. It is expected to be one of the largest university graduation ceremonies in U.S. history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 10:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I'll be there, actually. Light rail will be my best friend on Wednesday.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
As someone who lives in Tempe (Southern/Hardy) the traffic will be no different then the normal downtown event. just avoid Mill Ave and you will be fine.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 AM

True. It's the arteries right in the area of the stadium that will be most affected. They are encouraging, if not directing, people to get there quite early, so that should spread out the effect as well.

I'm avoiding driving in the area mainly so I don't have to worry about parking.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:30 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It is expected to be one of the largest university graduation ceremonies in U.S. history.
And without doubt - the hottest

Old 05-14-2009, 06:31 AM

Actually, it was not as bad as I thought it might be. They actually handled security and everything very efficiently-- I went early, so I can't say what the wait time was later, but for me it was not more than 20 minutes or so, and I'm only estimating.

I was happy to find my seat was actually on the shady side of the stadium (it shades itself on the west side from mid afternoon on). Fans were provided, and I did the wet cloth around the neck trick before I even realized that my seat would be in shade. There was a breeze some of the time, at least.

Light rail trains were crowded going in, even early (grads were supposed to be there by 3 PM). Afterwards, (and I left before the end, as did many others) they had the new Metrolink buses run people from the stadium to the University/Rural light rail stop. Trains were just going back and forth to Mesa from there. I assume they were doing the same from Mill Ave or the next stop west for those heading west. I skipped the 202 for a bit, as traffic there seemed heavy, but everything else was OK.

All in all, a great night. It was worth a little heat!

Old 05-14-2009, 09:10 AM

82 posts, read 210,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Actually, it was not as bad as I thought it might be. They actually handled security and everything very efficiently-- I went early, so I can't say what the wait time was later, but for me it was not more than 20 minutes or so, and I'm only estimating.

I was happy to find my seat was actually on the shady side of the stadium (it shades itself on the west side from mid afternoon on). Fans were provided, and I did the wet cloth around the neck trick before I even realized that my seat would be in shade. There was a breeze some of the time, at least.

Light rail trains were crowded going in, even early (grads were supposed to be there by 3 PM). Afterwards, (and I left before the end, as did many others) they had the new Metrolink buses run people from the stadium to the University/Rural light rail stop. Trains were just going back and forth to Mesa from there. I assume they were doing the same from Mill Ave or the next stop west for those heading west. I skipped the 202 for a bit, as traffic there seemed heavy, but everything else was OK.

All in all, a great night. It was worth a little heat!
Observer,
Sounds like it worked out great. How exciting for you to be able to witness that! I watched his speech on TV and thought it was exceptional. He seemed so relaxed and like he was really having fun...the most I have ever seen him smile. I thought the parts where he poked a little fun at ASU's decision not to give him an honorary degree were pretty funny. Kudos to him.
Susan

Old 05-14-2009, 09:14 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
It's refreshing being around those kids. They've been interviewing them on the TV about their dismal job prospects this year, and while they are disappointed, they are amazingly upbeat and hopeful about their futures. So different from so many of their elders who see nothing but doom and gloom ahead. No wonder he was smiling.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2AZSusan View Post
Observer,
Sounds like it worked out great. How exciting for you to be able to witness that! I watched his speech on TV and thought it was exceptional. He seemed so relaxed and like he was really having fun...the most I have ever seen him smile. I thought the parts where he poked a little fun at ASU's decision not to give him an honorary degree were pretty funny. Kudos to him.
Susan
I loved how he turned the whole issue about (his) body of work around to make the concept of body of work the main theme for the speech. It was a very memorable evening just for those of us watching, more so for the Obama scholars and the doctoral candidates who had the opportunity to meet him.

I noticed that veryone on the bus and train leaving was just as upbeat or more so, even after the long afternoon/evening, than on the train going in.

Ponderosa-- you are right. Should be an inspriration to all of us.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:32 AM

94 posts, read 394,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's refreshing being around those kids. They've been interviewing them on the TV about their dismal job prospects this year, and while they are disappointed, they are amazingly upbeat and hopeful about their futures. So different from so many of their elders who see nothing but doom and gloom ahead. No wonder he was smiling.
It's true--my students are a little anxious, but generally optimistic. Quite a number of them have actually found jobs, too, which is encouraging.

I love my research, but it's the students who make my job really amazing. I've been so impressed. I did my doctoral work and early years of teaching at an institution considered much more prestigious than ASU, but my students here are, on the whole, much more solid and dedicated.

As for last night, it really was a magical experience. (The fact that we had to line up, in full regalia in the heat, and stand there for over an hour was less so, but even that discomfort faded against everything else.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: