Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Why would they? I see cops toss cigarette butts too. Had one toss a butt on my hood after he blew a stop sign.
NO EXCUSE, Rick . . . whenever I see something like that, I get their Vehicle Number and register a complaint with the PD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
NO EXCUSE, Rick . . . whenever I see something like that, I get their Vehicle Number and register a complaint with the PD.
I did and wrote a letter to the chief. No response. Happened in Bridgewater, NJ.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
I just don't see how it is possible to smoke and drive at the same time. I only have 2 hands and with having to text my friends and family, read the news paper, change the CD, throw out hand gestures to other drivers, eat and drink, check my email, and keep the car moving, I just don't have a free hand to smoke or toss out a cigarette from a moving car. I guess maybe I will have to take a class on this from some of the women drivers, who can do all of that and put makeup on while they drive. Now that is multi tasking.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,357,117 times
In China I regularly saw people smoking while on their cell phones, while on motorcycles with small kids in their laps, sans helmet, of course.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 AM

338 posts, read 1,625,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
An awful lot of people throw lit cigarettes out the window from their cars. I see this all the time and I'm fed up with it. If someone wants to smoke, that's their problem, but when they throw a lit cigarette under my car they just stepped on my toes.

I'm not trying to pick on Phoenix; I saw this all the time in Boston as well. It's annoying, and potentially dangerous.

Vulgar and self-centered. I figure most smokers aren't, but these people sure are. If I had a way to catch the cigarette and shoot it back into their car I'd surely do it.

This annoys me to no end. One time someone flicked their cigarette out their window and it hit my window that was half way down and almost came in the car. If that cigarette had come into the car my b/f would have chased them down and all I can say is god help them.

People that throw lit cigarettes out of their cars are obnoxious and inconsiderate. They choose to smoke but they do not want to dirty up their ash tray because it lowers the car's resale value. Well you know what? Too bad! If you want to smoke that's fine but be responsible about it and stop littering our roads and not only that but throwing lit cigarettes out could easily land on some dry bush and start a fire. I think people should be fined heavily for this sort of behavior.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,295,513 times
You know what else I really can't stand?? When the person driving in front of me is smoking, cigarette out the window, just puffing away... and even with my windows up I STILL get all their nasty cigarette smoke coming into my truck! Just what I want.. to breath in someone else's smoke while driving in my own vehicle, thanks.

I am just really against smoking. I think it is such a disgusting habit and don't understand why anyone wants to smell awful and ruin their teeth and health. I grew up with my dad being a smoker and every car trip we'd go on (and still happens to this day) he either 'rolls the window down' because apparently he thinks that will make everything better, or we have to stop 10 times for him to take cigarette breaks.

Anyways.. not to change the subject too much..

Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I did and wrote a letter to the chief. No response. Happened in Bridgewater, NJ.
Try it again, Rick.

While living in a small city in California a few years ago, I tried the letter approach . . . the response was incredible. The Police Chief sincerely thanked me for the heads up and advised me Police Officers are never allowed to smoke while in uniform.

Interesting, I never saw a Smokin' Cop again.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:06 AM

6,708 posts, read 5,939,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Try it again, Rick.

While living in a small city in California a few years ago, I tried the letter approach . . . the response was incredible. The Police Chief sincerely thanked me for the heads up and advised me Police Officers are never allowed to smoke while in uniform.

Interesting, I never saw a Smokin' Cop again.
Times have really changed. My dad, a radiologist, smoked every day for 50 years, as did all his doctor buddies. Now you almost can't get into med school if they know you smoke.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
Ha, well it would help if it rained here a little more. lol I get nervous about fires when it happens. I'm surprised in AZ more people don't get shot for it. lol I get just as nervous when I see a "packing" shopper in fry's grocery as I do when I see a smoker flick a cig out the window. Maybe I need a therapist? ha ha
The streets are way more littered else where, we have street sweepers.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
it is obnoxious for sure

a couple month ago i was making my commute home - i had a cop behind me and we were in the left hand lane

this lady in a minivan cuts me off coming all the way from the right lane - she then procedes to drive like a dope (while yakking on her cell phone) and I can see her little brood bouncing around the minivan

she's driving me nuts, but i don't want to jump out and haul past her, because i'm paranoid

then the moment of beauty happened - just as she was getting into a left hand turn lane to pull into her neighborhood one of her little cretins was done munching his bag of chips and decided out the window was the best place for it

cop saw it and immediately came around me and lit her up and pulled her over in her parking lot

that must of put a fun end to the conversation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: