Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:52 AM

7 posts, read 11,276 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a 33yr old, single male, and I will be working at General Dynamics in South Scottsdale in the near future and looking for some advice on living locations that would still put me within about a 30 minute (no more than 40 minute) drive to work even toward the peak hours.

Since my job will require up to about 50% travel, I aim to buy a condo/townhome and looking to spend under 160k. I have to have a unit that has a garage. Can be 1 or 2 bedroom. I will be living by myself and would like to have a decent nightlife nearby and not feel isolated (ie Fountain Hills).

I've read through a quite a few posts and found some very helpful advice and believe I've narrowed down neighborhoods to:

Desert Ridge 85054 - Toscana
Scottsdale 85254 - Bella Terra
Scottsdale 85255 - Venu at Grayhawk

How is the traffic from either location (Bella Terra) 56th St/Shea or (Venu) 5450 E Deer Valley Dr going to (GD) 8201 East McDowell Road. It seems the Venu has HOA fees that are pretty pricey. I've read that the HOA association that also runs The Edge does a poor job there.... anyone have some insight on this? Also, between the above mentioned complexes and any other areas you may be able to recommend a look at would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind that I need a garage with the unit. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
there are many, many complexes in the area that will be in that price range....watch out for condo conversions (formerly apartments) as the quality may not be as good as places originally built as condos in the first place....I know Bella Terra a little bit....it's a condo conversion and might stretch your 30 minute limit a bit down to GD....not all the units have garages and you have to pay extra for one, I think...(may have changed)....check your Venu address: I didn't think Grayhawk came over that far west to 5400 E....in fact, all three places you mention are at or above your 30-40 minute limit...

instead of all these places you mention, I'd look right in the downtown Scottsdale area....there are lots of 30-somethings moving in there and the nightlife thing is well-known there (some attitude, tho)....lots of options there in the 85251 zip.....or downtown Tempe and surroundings....lots of up-and-coming places there, also...both DT Scotts and Tempe are within 10-15 minutes of GD on McDowell....you gotta get a realtor, tho, who is comfortable with short sales/foreclosures and can help you navigate this quagmire of various options....

also, think about living in a medium-long term extended-stay style hotel for a month or so when you first arrive, so you can look around before committing to a place that may not work out later.....

Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM

10 posts, read 16,621 times
what do you mean medium-long term extended-stay style hotel? they have places like that?
do you know of any I could look at?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 PM

204 posts, read 628,525 times
Default Hotels

I am going to ask my husband but I see them all over the place. They have you pay by the week. I have seen them for around $239 or something around that and they are not seedy looking or anything.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHalden View Post
what do you mean medium-long term extended-stay style hotel? they have places like that?
do you know of any I could look at?
these would be places that usually business people stay at for, say, one, three, five weeks....small kitchenettes, work desk, maid service only every few days

good place to stay at when you're moving and looking for a place....

Marriott Residence Inn (more pricey), Extended Stay America, Motel 6 Suites, SpringHill, Crossland, and many others in all price ranges....

Old 08-05-2010, 11:54 PM

10 posts, read 16,621 times
Didn't know about that. That actually sounds perfect for me to go stay there while looking for a place and whatnot. Now I just have to find one in my price range for now Thank you!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM

Thanks so much for the advice AZDR0710. I left the valley in 1999 and though I visit at least once a year, I haven't had enough time to experience the 101 first hand. I have heard from a few friends out there that the 101 can be a nightmare at times, but most of them live and work in the west valley and don't go over to Scottsdale much except for an occasional weekend.

Good suggestion about getting an extended stay type hotel. Would be much more convenient than staying at a friends house on the west side of the valley and commuting to work from there. I agree, I will need a realtor and hoping USAA sets me up with one here soon, I contacted their home solutions department a couple days ago.

I'm hoping that a condo/townhouse in the 85251 area would have a garage option available... I guess I could deal with underground parking but from my experience, leaving a vehicle in any parking area for 2 or 3 weeks at a time is just asking to get broken into, whether or not the community is gated.

I'll have to start considering places in downtown area of Tempe as you mentioned. Maybe the realtor will have some good insight as to a good location suitable to me.

Thanks again!

Old 08-06-2010, 12:32 AM

Does anyone know anything about subdivision The Villas at Vista Verde located in downtown Scottsdale at 7508 EARLL DR Scottsdale AZ 85251?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:21 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
Does anyone know anything about subdivision The Villas at Vista Verde located in downtown Scottsdale at 7508 EARLL DR Scottsdale AZ 85251?
That is a good location right in the heart of downtown Scottsdale. Close to hospital, stadium and lots of dining and night life. Walk to anywhere in downtown. As close to urban as we get around here.

Built in 1997, not too much of a turnover for these units. Maintenance fees about $210 a month. If you want to be in downtown Scotts, this could be a good choice.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 08-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-06-2010, 12:46 PM

96 posts, read 306,165 times
Azfan, I noticed your location is Afghanistan. If you are in the military, I would like to say thank you for your service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area